[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Poems are meant to have rhyme and rhythm. "Slam poetry"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: lemon key face.webm (933 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
lemon key face.webm
933 KB, 640x640
Poems are meant to have rhyme and rhythm. "Slam poetry" and "Experimental poetry" are rarely poetry.

Discuss.
>>
What about blank verse?

Insert quote about jangling like endings.
>>
Largely agree. Edgy experimental poetry just distinguishes poetry lovers from posers and fashion readers
>>
>>7745380
Poetry.
Rhythm is the final qualification for what is poetry and "ayy sentences that make you go hmmmmm XD"
>>
Just depends on what you define poetry as. I think that if poetry makes you think, specifically leads to important insights and advancements of the mind, then it's poetry. I think rhyme, rhythm, and every other form of poetry are just ways to get the author's "point" across, or merely get the person to pay attention and think profoundly.
>>
>>7745370
Nah. I'd rather discuss dat webm
>>
>>7745370
I don't trust the ones who clearly have never read or don't even like classic poetry. It's alright to have fun with form and presentation and all, but if you never even learned the basics of the artform it seems suspect to align yourself with it.
>>
>>7745370
Poetry doesn't need rhyme, just rhythm
See: blank and free verse
>>
>>7745370
Exactly. William Carlos Williams is one of the most appreciated shit writers in history. Yeah, I know why his shit is "important," or considered "good" and he knew as well, but it doesn't fucking change that he's a lazy writer who went on to influence shit like this:

http://miratortilla.tumblr.com/post/32079477070/2-weeks-ago-i-was-looking-for-drugs-at-a
>>
>>7745370
Not true. First and foremost, poetry is an attempt to show something's essence, to come as close as possible to the ideas language provokes.
>>
>>7746953
>I think that if poetry makes you think, specifically leads to important insights and advancements of the mind, then it's poetry.
That doesn't require being called poetry, it's what literature and writing in general already do.

Poetry necessarily has to work with the structure of the words themselves.
>>
>poems are poems when they're poems, and they're not when they're not

DUDE POEMS LMAO
>>
>>7747345
in the way that poetry is just basically non-prose
>>
but slam is rhyme and rhythm
at least it used to be
https://youtu.be/J5cOJjlyh7w?t=30s
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.