[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dune
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: images(4).jpg (6 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
images(4).jpg
6 KB, 267x189
I recently finished reading Dune. I kept hearing about it as being a classic book with a huge fan following. "The lord of the rings of the sci fi genre" I read...

I was hugely disappointed. I feel the world and story line could have been great, and maybe that's what people like, but the book itself didn't seem very well written. The storytelling seemed really rushed, especially by the end, like the author just got bored of writing at some point. It felt like half the book was leading up to this great battle, then it was over in a few pages and the end... I wanted to like it but just didn't.

Also decided to watch the movie after because why not. One of the worst piece of shit book to movie adaptations I've seen to date. That's a different rant though.

What does /lit/ think of Dune? Am I missing something about it?
>>
My favorite books series.
>>
>>7744335
Honestly, Herbert did rush the ending. So much action in something like five pages and it ends with... nothing, really. But Dune Messiah does a great job of wrapping up Paul's story and it's something like a third the length of Dune. It's worth reading if only so you can get a sense of closure. I personally think Messiah has much better pacing - I bet it was originally supposed to be a sort of 'Book 4' or something.

Children of Dune is decent but only worth reading if you intend to get to God Emperor, which is either the best or worst of the series depending on who you talk to. I say it's the best. Up to you to keep reading, though.
>>
>>7744370
I think dune messiah was the best. How do mark spoilers if I'm replying to somebody?
>>
remember kids, never read past god emperor!
>>
>>7744335
try Gene Wolfe. He is a god of the letters. you will never be disappointed, I assure you.
>>
>>7744643
Any specific recommendations?
>>
>>7744643
Don't listen to this retard. Wolfe is one of the worst /lit/ memes.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.