[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I read books for their engaging stories... not the message i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: me.jpg (30 KB, 339x216) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
30 KB, 339x216
I read books for their engaging stories... not the message i'm suppose to receive or the sole fact they're "classics"
Somehow, I feel like this makes me a bad human, but i'm not sorry about it.
I'd take The Golden Compass and Harry Potter over Catcher in the Rye, Infinite Jest, and For Whom the Bell Tolls any day of the week. I keep Jane Austen novels on my shelf to seem more astute, however I only made it halfway through Emma and a quarter of the way though Pride and Prejudice.
Any other plebs out there that pick up books for the story and not the "amazing metaphor and cultural awareness" (no matter how pretentious) a book tries to convey?
>>
what if I don't find stories in themselves to be engaging
>>
Catcher in the Rye is a pretty engaging story. Persuasion is probably the best story of Austen, though Emma is pretty good in that front too.
>>
>reading for plot
>>
>>7743756
Borges' review of the Invention of Morel is a defense of the adventure novel.

But Borges also read everything else. A mass rejection of not even individual books but whole genre or theme types indicates an inability to context switch in your mind. You wont get the most from the small things in life because youre chasing only highs
>>
>>7743756
>I read books for their engaging stories... not the message i'm suppose to receive or the sole fact they're "classics"

You are correct. You are a better human that anyone who disagrees. Anyone who disagrees with you is the plebeian.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.