[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Love and countries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1415143309890.jpg (454 KB, 2000x1026) Image search: [Google]
1415143309890.jpg
454 KB, 2000x1026
Well /lit/

Why should one love their country? I'm not asking this because I'm indifferent to it or don't care, I do love my homeland.

But why, why causes people to feel a certain attachment to the land they were born? A certain feeling and duty to serve and protect their country?

Although I haven't started with the Greeks yet, from my understanding they were hyper patriots of their City States and do whatever they could to help their Country, through politics, or serving in war, or living in a clay bowl.

Help me out /lit/
>>
You love your motherland for the same reason you love your kin and your community. We don't give a rat's ass about our kin or community these days, so of course caring about one's motherland is going to be more peculiar. And even bigger issue is that rampant globalism destroys cultural distinction, whereas in the past cultural distinction between communities was significant (there were tons variation in regional dialect and accent), and distinction between peoples was enormous in a way we can't really comprehend today, going to another country was almost like going to another planet. So you loved your country because it was instinctual and made sense, not because it was some artificial value. Your country was synonymous with all your values and everything you loved. If you spent years living among Bedouins today, you'd probably get extremely homesick and miss your own people, that might give you an idea.
>>
>>7743133
was tolstoy really a mason?
>>
>>7743790
When Orthodox Christians call someone a "Mason", it doesn't have to be literal. It's like if say Hitler was Satanic.
>>
>>7743685
Very well put. Globalization and technology have had a powerful, homogenising effect on culture
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.