[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noble Dead Series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: TheNightVoiceNobleDead.jpg (55 KB, 331x499) Image search: [Google]
TheNightVoiceNobleDead.jpg
55 KB, 331x499
I doubt many have been following this, but on the off chance someone here has, what'd you think of the finale? RIP in peace Ghassan/Bro'tan
>>
>>7742238
She's wearing clothing just like a man's because she's a strong independent woman.

But there are no bright colours or realistic weapons because this is serious fantasy not historical boring stuff that's for school only :^).

Do we really need more of these types of novels? With the fucking terrible made up names, and the bastardized Tolkien mythology and the generic its just Europoor in the Xth medieval century setting which screams lazy uninspired unimaginative writing with no soul or desire to raise the bar for something that is already ankle high.

I swear to fucking god, you could literally make millions writing a parody of these High Fantasy trash tier novels, but the irony would be nobody gets that its a parody and you can't help buy be sincere in writing the billion sequels that follow.

Why doesn't someone write a High Fantasy novel series where elves have three dicks and just rape everyone, and dwarves are actually hermaphrodites and their beards actually hide a chest cloaca which they are self conscious about, and humans are actually not humans but have like 8 arms, 2 regular ones, then 3 sets of smaller ones around their nipples that fan out like petals on a flower, and sex is mostly just interlocking your nipple fingers. And instead of swords everyone just uses shields and spears, but the spears are actually really long snakes so its more like snake whips, and the shields are super brittle for an unexplained reason and also edible, like made of wafers or sea cucumbers or something, but they're delicious. And people have pet dolphins, but it's super inconvenient to carry your dolphin around so some guy invents a dolphin pack which straps to your back, and you just walk around as adventurers with your dolphins strapped to your back, having to stop every couple of miles to find water for them. And the dolphins help you live or something because the planet is polluted and they filter the bad air with the blow holes and then blow it back into your mouth with a tube attachment.

There. literally 30 seconds of rambling is more fantasy than you'll get on a fucking lifetime of reading this garbage.
>>
File: MonkeyTroubleUpset.png (601 KB, 824x706) Image search: [Google]
MonkeyTroubleUpset.png
601 KB, 824x706
>>7742417
>and the generic its just Europoor in the Xth medieval century setting
Most of the book takes place in not!arabia
>>
>>7742986
once more
>>
>>7742417
>Why doesn't someone write a High Fantasy novel series where elves have three dicks and just rape everyone,

lel R Scott Bakker comes dangerously close to this
>>
>>7742238

I actually just started the series recently with Dhampir. I'm halfway in, does it get better from there OP?
>>
>>7745198
Dhampir is kinda slow to get things rolling but it picks up by the climax. I'd say the overall story really picks up around Sister of the Dead. The worldbuilding keeps improving from there and was intriguing enough to keep my interest but I'd say the writing itself was only average, though the action scenes were well done. I did enjoy the characterizations of everyone but the main two protagonists, who don't seem to go through nearly as much character growth as the rest. I found Wynn and friends to be more compelling when the story shifts focus to her in the second phase.
>>
>>7745387
I'll keep reading then, I found the book for 2 dollars at my Used book store a long with some other titles. I've been reading mostly Fiction lately and I wanted some Fantasy when I stumbled across it.

I noticed the writing was average but I expected it especially since my version of the book says on the front.

"Like Lord of the Rings and Buffy the Vampire Slayer!"

I didn't even notice that till after I bought it. But It's a good read so far, glad I found someone else who has read it and is willing to give me a straight answer on its quality.

Would you recommend any other series anon?
>>
>>7745497
>"Like Lord of the Rings and Buffy the Vampire Slayer!"
It's really nothing like either beyond having elves, dwarves and vampires, and not even in particularly similar portrayals. I guess a bunch of suits just thought that was the most marketable thing the print on a cover.

Really I wasn't planning to go farther than phase one of the story but the end of it hooked me deep enough to pull me into the rest of the series, and it was a good enough read that I don't regret it. Dat ending tho...

As for other stories, Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy and subsequent books are some top quality DARK'N'GRITTY low fantasy stories, though the sometimes excessive cynicism can get discouraging.

Thieves' World is a nice collection of urban high fantasy stories by various authors. Many characters are shared between authors, leading to an interesting mingling of ideas. Sorta like comic characters but far less messy and convoluted.

Right now I'm just a couple chapters into the Wheel of Time series.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.