[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: 1428189536684.png (976 KB, 650x1000) Image search: [Google]
1428189536684.png
976 KB, 650x1000
Is The Unbearable Lightness of Being actually good or is it one of those "bluhhh I'm a bland grumpy white guy women are whores life is pointless or whatever" Bukowski-spittle type things
>>
>>7742129
Well it's not anything like what you described but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good. You set up a false dichotomy.
>>
>>7742129
The movie has tits
>>
Which author is better: Gaddis or Gass?
>>
>>7742129
This question doesn't not only not deserve it's own thread, but it doesn't deserve to be a question on the board in the first place.
>>
File: 1455992157816.png (889 KB, 756x715) Image search: [Google]
1455992157816.png
889 KB, 756x715
question: how would you start your first web novel series? would you first post something about you the author, would you describe what the story is about or would you just start posting directly the story itself?

>>7742129
>check your privileges: the post
>>
Is the 20th Anniversary edition of Infinite Jest the best edition?
>>
unbearable lightness is bad but not for the reason you explained

basically >>7742138
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 301x167) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 301x167
Do audio books count?
>>
>>7742420
Why is it bad

also just to be A HUNDRED PERCENT SURE none of these jokes apply right

Q: How many male novelists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: The terrible sex had made him feel deeply interesting, like a murder victim.

A: The beast, which had represented his feelings, was dead. “I think I’ll do a pushup,” he announced to the sea. The sea respected him for it.

A: [4000 words from the narrator about his feelings on his childhood circumcision]

A: War is hell.

A: He straightened his tie. He had lost, but in a romantic way, which meant that he had won. “I’m going to do a pushup,” he announced to his tie. His tie respected him for it, and secretly wished that it could have sex with him.

A: You wouldn’t understand.

A: He swore curses at his coworkers. He was making a lot of money. Fuck.

A: This neighborhood in New York City was very different from the other neighborhood in New York City he’d just been in.

A: He lit a cigarette. His glass of whiskey lit a cigarette too. “I can only truly love my best friend,” he said, “but not in a gay way. Women wouldn’t understand it. They’re too gay.” Both of the cigarettes agreed.

A: [4000 words about an isolated encounter with a service worker that borders on racist and goes nowhere]

A: “The cocaine isn’t the point. The cocaine is a metaphor,” he explained wearily over the pile of cocaine. She folded her arms. She didn’t understand his cocaine. “Didn’t you read my manifesto?” The prostitute had read his manifesto. Why couldn’t she?

A: This lightbulb is inauthentic.

A: “It’s only the institution I have a problem with,” he explained to the empty bar.

A: The time had come for him to go to war, and also find himself, and also reject the rules of your society.

A: His alcoholism was different, because someday he was going to die.

A: [Nothing happens for 450 pages; receives fourteen awards]
>>
So I just learned that Ghiblis Howls Moving Castle is adapted from a book and was curious, how is it?

Also does the movie cover all three books?
>>
>>7742639
No, they read.
>>
Is happiness a spook?
>>
Where can I buy books in the third world?
>>
>>7743110
bookdepository? free shipping worldwide
>>
>>7742858
What was going through your head, pausing and unpausing the video so you could transcribe everything?
Why don't people put effort into their bait anymore?
>>
1. Why do some editions of Shakespeare's Complete Works not include setting? A scene will begin with "Enter [X]..." but won't say where the action is taking place.

2. What is the name of the area of study that looks questions like "why do we dislike it/get offended/show disdain when others hold an opinion contrary to our own?"? Any books or essays on this kind of thing?
>>
>>7743696
>1. Why do some editions of Shakespeare's Complete Works not include setting? A scene will begin with "Enter [X]..." but won't say where the action is taking place.

example?
>>
>>7743696

1. Because Shakespeare's own text rarely said so. Usually the scene settings will be in the footnotes, unless you have some kind of extreme budget edition. I use Riverside and Arden and both of those include scene location in the footnotes; I know for a fact that the Penguin and OUP ones do likewise.
>>
>>7743703
>>7743707

Erm I'll use Taming of the Shrew as an example because I'm reading it at the moment. My Collin's Classics edition for Act 4 Scene 4 reads "Padua. Before Baptista's house." and below that "Enter TRANIO as Lucentio, and the Pedant dress'd as Vincentio."

On the other hand, here is my Arden edition: "Enter TRANIO, and the Pedant dressed like VINCENTIO." There is no mention of where the scene is located.
>>
>>7743722

I think I'm missing your point. The scene is located in the city of Padua. Specifically, outside Baptista's house. Where is the ambiguity? What information are you missing?
>>
White people are bad. This is a fact
>>
>>7743738
My Collin's Classics edition is fine (it states the location).

My Arden edition (the second quote) omits the location - it mentions neither Padua nor Baptista's house. I'm wondering why the Arden edition - and others I have come across - do this.
>>
Do you read introductions or prefaces or anything written by someone else that talks about the book youre about to read?

I think they are interesting when they give you background on the authors life but sometimes they talk about the contents of the book, its irritating to me. Also sometimes they are a few pages long.
>>
>>7743775

Only explanation I can think of is that it must've been previously explained in another footnote to a prior scene in the same location?
>>
>>7743776

Read them last.
>>
>>7743791
Yeah thats what ive been doing. It gives me better insight on the book and sometimes they tell me things that i didnt see myself, which id obviously prefer, I dont want someone elses take away before i even start it.
>>
>>7743782

Nope. Take Act 1 Scene 1 for example: "Flourish. Enter LUCENTIO and his man TRANIO."

The only mentions of Padua are in the 'List of Roles' page that precedes the play and (of course) in the dialogue. The specific location though (e.g. Baptista's house) is never mentioned explicitly. This omission means reading plays like The Comedy of Errors gets pretty confusing at times.
>>
White people are stupid and dumb and I hate them, but at least they aren't alone in that
>>
>>7743807

I had a dig through my Ardens. For 1H4, the note to 1.1 gives a manuscript history which essentially says that Shakespeare didn't say shit about specific locations. For every subsequent scene it then consistently gives the scholarly consensus on where the scene is assumed to take place. Macbeth and Winter's Tale likewise, using formulations like "this scene presumably takes place in..." frequently. In MND there is actually a pretty explicit "location" footnote for every scene. So maybe the editors of the Taming of the Shrew deemed it unnecessary for some reason. I'm not sure, honestly, can't explain it.
>>
>>7743867
Ah I see, thank you. Still seems strange then that my Collin's edition uses definitive locations with sure assuredness. I imagine there's some explanation in the introduction which I've yet to read.
>>
Does life get better?
>>
Why do people post about Tao Lin so much
>>
Does anyone have the chart that someone made a while back showing possible translations of various books?

If no one has it, dies anyone have a suggestion on what translation of the oddesey is best?
>>
>>7743745
>>7743813
Nuh uh
>>
>>7743955
No, but eventually you die
>>
>>7744129
go to bed tao
>>
File: 3lpd72.jpg (31 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
3lpd72.jpg
31 KB, 512x288
>>7743089
>>
>>7742858
>Both of the cigarettes agreed.
ha
>>
Would you guys recommend getting a complete works edition or individual editions of each of an authors work? For example complete Plato, or editions with a single dialogue?
>>
>>7742129
Is Atomised any good?
>>
>>7744337
> not "Well played, Old sport"

missed opportunity for a literary meme

Also not a question but a statement undeserving of its own thread: Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby is the most accurate and DiCaprio is the best Gatsby. Even better than the Jay Gatsby of the book.
>>
>>7743745
You joke but it's true. We're like shitty knock-off asians
>>
>>7742129
I have that version of Atomised and a newer one that is way thinner. what gives?
>>
>>7745742
Get the complete works. A single dialogue feels like it would be a waste of money.
>>
i'm part way into chapter 14 out of 23 of blood meridian, i've found it dull for a while now, if i'm not enjoying it currently is it worth finishing?
>>
>>7746396
you got memed son, mccarthy is garbage
>>
File: enemy POV.jpg (145 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
enemy POV.jpg
145 KB, 960x768
how to get gf?
>>
>>7746403
but i liked no country ):
>>
How do you decide what decision to get? Some of the classics have an absurd amount of them.
>>
Has anyone ever heard of a book in which a bunch of vampires set off nukes to create nuclear winter so they can roam around 24/7?

One of my tutors says he wrote a book about this and I want to read at least one thing by all of them (regardless of genre/quality/etc.). I've not been able to find anything and I've been told he writes under a pseudonym which just makes things more difficult.
>>
>>7747393
Vampire Winter - Lois Tilton?
I just looked around, and it sounds fairly similar.
>>
Just letting you all know, Stoner is fucking magnificent. My god.
>>
anyone have the /biz/ reading guide?
>>
>>7747997
Really? I just picked it up, i'm going to read it after I finish Pale Fire today and TCOL49 over the weekend. I'm very excited to read it.

What do you think makes it so moving/profound?
>>
>>7742129
what are the prereqs for Stoner?

can I just jump right in?
>>
>>7743073
It was my favorite book as a kid, so i think It's pretty fun, and different enough from the movie to be enjoyable. It only covers the first book.
>>
File: Start with the greeks UPDATED.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
Start with the greeks UPDATED.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
Has anyone made the Resume with the Romans chart?

I imagine it's got Virgil's Aeneid and Ovid's Metamorphoses, but what else? Would it end with the Divine comedy and orlando furioso?
>>
Which books should I buy for a little girl, /lit/?
My sister turns 14 soon, and I want to get her something more serious than Harry Potter, Hunger Games and their ilk, but not something so hard it will turn her off literature forever.
I'm going to get Sophie's World, any other suggestions?
>>
can someone post the "no glaucon thats not what i said at all faggot" picture
>>
File: 35oZFNJ.jpg (398 KB, 1052x1172) Image search: [Google]
35oZFNJ.jpg
398 KB, 1052x1172
>>7750129
>>
>>7750088
Get something entry level that relates to her interests. If it's something that has to do with a hobby or mindset she already likes it'll be more engaging.

Remember getting a 14 year old to read literature is an uphill battle in the first place, make it as easy on them as you can without dumbing it down
>>
>>7750088
give her the Descartes
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.