[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do think of The Confusions of a Pretentious Faggot? Was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 307x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 307x475
What do think of The Confusions of a Pretentious Faggot?

Was like looking in a mirror desu
>>
It resonated a lot with me when I was a teenager. Just something about that moment of realization when the whole world seems absurd and impossible. The film is pretty good too just for the attractive cast.
>>
>>7742152
I'll have to see if I can get a hold of the film.
>>
>>7742126
i tried to read his other book, the man without masculinity, and i must say, despite the potential for patricianity, that thinly veiled philosophical essay was boring enough to consider all germans pisstaking virgins.
>>
>>7742931
someone please prove me wrong.
>>
>>7742931
>>7742948
Well for starters, he's Austrian.
>>
I really didn't enjoy this book at all. Long-winded theoretical essay about mathematics interrupted occasionally by a bunch of friends doing typical young-author-writes-about-shocking-stuff scenes that was just boring.
>>
>>7743191
The mathematics was a pretty small part of it but I did find the extended metaphysical speeches a bit much. I wasn't bored by the plot, though the fact that theywere all such terrible people was a bit of a shame.
>>
File: 1421091269140.jpg (23 KB, 398x400) Image search: [Google]
1421091269140.jpg
23 KB, 398x400
>>7743225
>im dissapointed bc i didnt like the characters
>>
>>7742931
>>7742948
so your criticism is that it's boring?

fuck off you filthy plebeian
>>
>>7743191
Well it's supposedly somewhat autobiographical so it's not exactly for shock factor alone.
>>
>>7742931
How the fuck you read a fucking 1500+ pages book and still can't get the name or author's nationality right, specially considering how the idea of nation is mocked through said 1500+ pages?

That being said, I quite liked both Young Torless and Man Without Qualities.

>>7743191
>long winded
the book is like, 120 pages?
>>
>>7743243
It's only a problem because it doesn't feel like the author intended for Torless to come across as unsympathetically as he did to me.

A bildungsroman where the main character changes from being a relatably lost young man into a bit of a cunt is pretty unsatisfying.
>>
Around 200 pages in TMWQ. It's super funny until the long drawn out political explanations come in.

I think more people on /lit/ need to read the section where Musil describes Ulrich's artist friend as a roving will-less type that had potential but declined into lackluster banality.
>>
>>7742210
I didn't have much trouble finding it about 7 years ago when it was much less known on the web. Finding decent subs might be another issue for you. Being one of Volker Schlöndorff earliest works makes it worth a watch it you're in any way interested in German cinema.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.