[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do public schools teach anything useful about literature and rhetoric?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (273 KB, 1024x1222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
273 KB, 1024x1222
Do public schools teach anything useful about literature and rhetoric?
>>
>>7739831
No. In Ameriga, rhetoric is under strict educational and media blackout.
>>
>>7739831
Only that most people are willingly stupid
>>
Take an AP lit class if you want 20% rhetoric and 80% cramming for a load of essays that mean nothing
>>
>>7739900
This is correct
>>
File: 555.jpg (25 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
555.jpg
25 KB, 600x375
>>7739831
>pulitzer prize winning
>>
>>7739831
this guy, and picture spesifically, really angers me.
>>
>>7739900
This. I fucking loved the one time a month the teacher split the class in two and made us argue over shit.
>>
>>7739920
specifically* FUCK
>>
>>7739831
Not really. You'll find more interesting stuff on the internet than anything they'll teach you in school.
>>
>>7739831

Did he really win the pulitzer prize?
>>
>>7739957
no
>>
I had a high school teacher who did, but he was seriously one in a million. He taught me more in terms of critical thinking, crafting and deconstructing arguments and counterarguments, etc. than probably everyone else I've ever met in my life combined. He wasn't even an AP Lit teacher. He taught World History, World Religions, and was my Model United Nations coach.
>>
>>7739976
Sorry I meant he taught me about rhetoric, not literature. Incidentally, I did have a teacher for AP Language and Literature who taught me a great deal about literature. Another teacher who was an anomaly for being at a small public high school in a small town nearly a hundred miles from the nearest real city.
>>
>>7739976
>>7739976
Both my Sophmore and Junior years in high school were classes taught by Tweed-tier dudes that were totally centered around class debates /lit/ top 100 shit. The Sophmore class was centered around tracing and finding the "foundations of democracy" so we spent most of the time reading Greek texts, while Junior year was centered around tracing the progression of American society through authors like Melville, Hawthorne, etc.

My senior English class was taught by a libertarian who had us read The Alchemist, Escape from Camp 14, 1984, followed by required viewing of V for Vendetta.
>>
>>7740029
Those sophomore and junior classes sound like they could've been great if done right, although they should also have had broader scopes.

That senior class sounds awful, although I actually am a fan of 1984 and don't dislike V for Vendetta at all. Making that movie required viewing is ridiculous, though.

What is Escape from Camp 14 like? I'm not familiar.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.