[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What books will help me understand the development of the English
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Canterbury Tales.jpg (375 KB, 1595x797) Image search: [Google]
Canterbury Tales.jpg
375 KB, 1595x797
What books will help me understand the development of the English language?

1. Canterbury Tales
2. King James Bible
3. Book of Common Prayer
4. The Faerie Queene
5. Shakespeare

...? What else? Some non-fiction perhaps?
>>
sir gawain and the green knight
>>
Beowulf
The Seafarer and Caedmon's hymn
>>
>>7739739
What you have is good so far, though it's missing some contemporary to show you where the language is now. Throw some john green in there (if recommend his seminal class The Fault in Our Stars) and you're all set , bud.
>>
>>7739739
The "Oxen of the Sun" episode of Ulysses.
>>
all books recommended so far (except don't expect to finish Faerie Queene or KJB) plus, to continue forward in time:

some John Donne poems
Milton: L'Allegro and Il Penseroso
anything by Daniel Defoe
The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope
excerpts from Boswell's Life of Johnson
excerpts from Gibbon's Decline and Fall
some Walter Scott
some essays by William Hazlitt

and end the timeline with a modernist work, the "Oxen of the Sun" chapter in Ulysses where Joyce (to complement the development of a fetus in the womb) writes a chapter where the language continually shifts to cover every period in the English language's development from anglo-saxon era to 1904.
>>
>>7739739
Selected Tweets by Tao Lin and Mira Gonzalez
>>
>>7739823
also The Story of English by David Crystal
>>
I think Twain might have been the first author to make Southern vernacular artistic.
>>
>The Faerie Queene
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Faerie_Queene#Reception
>>
The Faerie Queene is horribly dull, read Paradise Lost instead
>>
>>7739739
Sir Doyle? I forgot his first name. Sherlock nigga
>>
>>7742093
all of these books/authors are horribly dull. that isn't the question of the thread
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.