[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has /lit/ read any holy book? Really want to start with the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: holy-books-edited.jpg (2 MB, 3376x2888) Image search: [Google]
holy-books-edited.jpg
2 MB, 3376x2888
Has /lit/ read any holy book?

Really want to start with the Torah and move onto Bible, Quran and then Bhagavad Gita

Any tips or suggestions? Dont know which version of Bible to read or Tipitaka
>>
I know /lit/ would disagree but I don't consider holy books to be a good read, they are maybe useful to understand other works but that's pretty much it
>>
>>7739622
The Bhagavad Gita is an easy, satisfying read. I prefer it to the others you've mentioned. Start there.

Also, if have lots of time and you're into that kind of thing, then you should check out the Bhagavata Purana.
>>
Atlas Shrugged
>>
The Torah is just the first 5 books of the bible who's authorship is traditionally attributed to Moses.

The Jewish bible is called the TaNaKh ... The torah is only one part (the T of the tanakh)
>>
>>7739622
The Bible is essential lit- more so than even the greeks. Read the KJV if you can get your hands on a copy.
>>
the Dhammapada is great m8
>>
I've read the Tao Te Ching, I'd highly recommend it. It's a bit shorter than the ones you listed though.
>>
>>7739622
King James is the best version of the bible in most people's opinions.

They're definitely essential reads as well, the Bible is easily the single most influential text in western society, and in a lot of others as well. No-one can really call themselves educated without having read at least both testaments.
>>
In the Buddha's words is a good compilation of Buddhist scriptures to round out the list of major religious spiritual classics

also >>7739864
>>
>>7739837
Nothing is more essential than the greeks.

Most of the religious books are actually pretty boring. You'll find more wisdom in reading a list of proverbs than in all religious books together.
>>
>>7740005
>book almost singlehandedly defined the nature of western society and its morals
>somehow the greeks are still more important

Come on anon, if you really don't think the Bible isn't a worthwhile reading experience, then you shouldn't be browsing a literature board. There's an incredibly amount of wisdom in them, there's a reason why people have to do entire courses to be able to even slightly start to understand them.

Also
>boring
>implying anyone reads philosophical texts because they're exciting
>>
>>7739622
Which version of the Quran is that? The one in the blue.
>>
KJV is the poetic version of the Bible. If you want a more readable version ESV is the recommended version.

If you want an academic version the New English Translation has footnotes longer than the entire bible https://net.bible.org/#!bible/Matthew+1
>>
>Gay Quran on left
>Rare Infinite Jest in the middle
Links pls
>>
>>7739837
The New Testament is literally Stoics: the guy edition. You'd know this if you started with the Greeks.
>>
>>7740005
>reading for entertainment
>>
>>7740020
>almost singlehandedly defined the nature of western society and its morals

sounds like you're describing the greeks.
>>
If I want to read Quran which one should I start with?
>>
>>7740909
owc is bretty good family
>>
>>7740883
Your claim is retarded senpai, it's completely alien to stoicism.
>>7740887
Sounds like you are a retarded trying to imply those are somehow in a great conflict.
Reading the bible doesn't stop or contradict reading the greeks.
>>
>>7740887
No, I'm really, really not. The Greeks are incredibly influential in their own right, don't get me wrong, but to imply that Aristotle or literally any Greek writer has had the same impact as the Bible is just delusional. There's literally billions of Christians. In God we Trust is the motto of the fucking US.

Also, as >>7740923 said, you don't have to pick one to read. I'm claiming that you can't claim to be educated in literature or philosophy and have not read the bible, the Greeks being important aren't in contradiction to that.
>>
File: boethius-1.jpg (53 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
boethius-1.jpg
53 KB, 600x500
>>7739837
>>7740883

Both incorrect. OP, Begin with the presocratics especially Heraclitus. It is of vital importance that you read philosophy uncorrupted by Socrates. Then read Plato and Aristotle because you are obliged to. Ignore Socrates, and most of Aristotle. Take Plato with a pinch of salt also. Read the Bible, you should already know the Old and New Testament stories well. Read Ecclesiastes and the New Testament (KJV). Once you begin to master Plato and the presocratics, supplement your study with TGo Thomas, Judas, and the other Gnostic Apocrypha. After this, develop a deep understanding of the teachings of Hermes Trismegistus.

The Stoics have given us false interpretations of the pre-socratics, they did not anticipate the Bible. You can skip the Stoics. Read the Late Roman/Early Christians at your pleasure and when you are ready move onto the Consolation of Philosophy.

Generally distance yourself from "modern philosophy", and absolutely avoid 19th century German idealism and 20th century leftism.
>>
>>7741000
trips of truth... Also to add, you ought to avoid the propaganda of the Enlightenment and hacks like Berkley and Hume, and the 16th/17th century materialists/empiricists t b h.
>>
>>7741005
>avoid the propaganda of the enlightenment
>brainwash yourself with delusional fairy tales

Just do exactly the opposite of what >>7741000
said and you'll be fine.

>>7741000 is actually the perfect proof of why religious books should be avoided. They rot your brain.
>>
>>7741000
le secret knowledge of le ancient civilization
>>
File: the old jewish gnostic.jpg (719 KB, 1183x1200) Image search: [Google]
the old jewish gnostic.jpg
719 KB, 1183x1200
>>7739622
Why are people always so obsessed with the "canon"? You've chosen all the great holy books, but really this won't do anything for you if you just push through them all with no wider understanding. If you're reading them as if they were artifacts at a museum then you're doing it wrong. If you're interested in Christianity from a theological standpoint read the Bible, for any other objectives there are more suitable books.

I don't know why /lit/ is so newbie with everything, you get so many of these threads: "I'm going to read this this and this and become PATRISH!!!" especially in philosophy where we get threads with "How do I do philosophy, so... should I start with the Greeks and then read 3000 pages of Thomas Aquinas and Saint Augustine... and then... Descartes and and Kant and Schopenhauer and Hegel???" as if this isn't a little much to bite off and chew for an obvious newbie like the OP I don't know what is.
It's the same case here. Read the KJV if you want, just the idea of having some stupid reading list or "plan", always 'moving on' to the next thing, reading books as if they were cocaine or fast food, or video games that you can "complete". When I got into philosophy at age 13 I read Aristotle, nothing but Aristotle the whole time - is it so hard to pick out something that interests you without sticking yourself to some tried and tested "game plan" for fellow pseuds (because nobody considers the canon so important other than total newbies), this board is just chock full of this kind of shit, the bookshelf threads are another example: a whole bookshelf of "essential /lit/core", and you can tell how fake it all is (pristine spines on penguin classics for one), and none of it is ever anything outside this narrow little bubble of "patrician taste", a girl told me once that all 4chan users are the same and that's what this board is usually, an echo chamber.
>>
>>7741093
learn to use the catalog
>>
File: crushing-disappointment.jpg (21 KB, 620x363) Image search: [Google]
crushing-disappointment.jpg
21 KB, 620x363
>>7741000
>>7741005

>All that ancient circlejerking

this was okay, but then:

>Generally distance yourself from "modern philosophy", and absolutely avoid 19th century German idealism and 20th century leftism.

what the fuck am I reading, as >>7741018 said, do the exact opposite. No philosophical mind can ignore Aristotle and especially not Kant and the other German Idealists, because they're the touchstone for philosophy from then on, also if you're really reading all that old shit just because it's old I pity you when there is a wide modern corpus of literature on theology which you totally ignore, there's no excuse for all this pedestrian ignorance.
>>
>>7741093
All the best posters spend most their time reading.

Philosophy is a universal subject, the best way to approach it is to ask questions you view as important, pursue them yourself and then compare your answers in a particular field to the writings of other authors, and read them pen in hand, critiquing and noting your disagreements until, after a great time, you form your own original blend of philosophy; rather than mirroring the ideas of "respected" writers. Of course, try to also read opinions that challenge yours, it'll mature you more than anything - into nietzhe? Fantastic, read Kierkergaard. And vice versa. Neither are neceSsarilly more right, but by the real beauty of philosophy is unshacjlimg yourself to different avenues of thought and understanding, rather than settling on a narrow definitik of the world - which you'll end up with of you follow the chart of a series of strangers over your own perosbal investigation.
>>
>>7741000
>Generally distance yourself from "modern philosophy", and absolutely avoid 19th century German idealism and 20th century leftism.
Le dark enlightenment
>>
>>7741170

>All the best posters spend most their time reading.

This or lurking. Stop making emotional walls of text about the state of a 4chan board, you sorry mope. You are caught in this weird intermediate phase where you are over it all but still give a shit enough to angrily bitch about it.

Just let_go.jpg.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 300x168
>>7741000
>read plato
>ignore Socrates
>>
>>7740877
lmoa
>>
>>7739622
Pavitra Bible

hahahaha... You Desi mate?
>>
>>7740005
The bible itself is actually a historical account of the Jews' interaction with God so it does set up a precedence to abrahamic religions today and give a certain nature and status we can ascribe to God that people normally take for granted. It's also pretty interesting because we essentially have state formation and the development of a people, although it can be very repetitive...
>>
>>7739651
This! it also has some of the coolest stories/characters i have ever read about
>>
>>7740005
I found the book of Job to be fairly interesting.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.