[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Genre fiction that is as good as normal literature I'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 12
File: jeff koons.jpg (120 KB, 924x360) Image search: [Google]
jeff koons.jpg
120 KB, 924x360
ITT: Genre fiction that is as good as normal literature

I'll start: The Dying Earth by Jack Vance

pic unrelated
>>
File: taxpayer pleasure3.jpg (67 KB, 692x302) Image search: [Google]
taxpayer pleasure3.jpg
67 KB, 692x302
Also, anything by Gene Wolfe
>>
File: sluggo2.jpg (109 KB, 1000x360) Image search: [Google]
sluggo2.jpg
109 KB, 1000x360
>>
File: good enough for govt work 2.jpg (31 KB, 540x239) Image search: [Google]
good enough for govt work 2.jpg
31 KB, 540x239
No one?
>>
Anything by Alfred Bester
>>
File: 200px-Hmv_en.jpg (9 KB, 200x311) Image search: [Google]
200px-Hmv_en.jpg
9 KB, 200x311
Also Solaris
>>
L. Sprague De Camp
>>
>>
>>7739533
>>
So what's wrong with genre fiction?
>>
>>7739548
>So what's wrong with genre fiction?
see
>>7738409

ITT we find books that incorporate both.
>>
>>
File: OctaviaEButler_Kindred.jpg (42 KB, 260x381) Image search: [Google]
OctaviaEButler_Kindred.jpg
42 KB, 260x381
>>
War of the Worlds by HG Wells
>>
>>7739572
>>
Hypersphere.
>>
File: encounters.jpg (154 KB, 1000x419) Image search: [Google]
encounters.jpg
154 KB, 1000x419
http://sluggodreamsoflove.tumblr.com/
>>
The distinction between genre fiction and literary fiction is arbitrary at best. Consider the amount of garbage books which can't be ascribed to any particular genre, and the amount of great books which happen to have spaceships or mythological beings
>>
>>7739414
Ulan dhor is the greatest short story ever written
>>
>>7739589
Those two books didn't age particularly well, in my opinion, but still have literary merit for advancing sci-fi horror to be more accessible and concisely written.
>>
Hainish Cycle and Earthsea series by Le Guin
Bas-Lag series and The City & the City by Mieville
The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Wolfe
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by PKD
The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by le Carre
Pattern Recognition by Gibson
Dune by Herbert
>>
>>7739845
I feel the same about Algernon Blackwood and horror. The Wendigo is actually scary, but the rest of his stuff...meh.
>>
I Am Legend
>>
>>7739414
>>7739426
>>7739467
>>7739479
>>7739633
these are extremely bad
>>
>>7740278

Seconded. They are unfunny, and reek of New York/California "look-at-us-try-hard" along the lines of Raymond Pettibon or that other faggot who does the colored-pencil stuff with the ugly men and long paragraphs. You all instantly know who I'm talking about even if you don't.

Edit, here's an example of him memeing. Actually this one is rather funny though desu. The rest are intolerably "meta" and New York though, just like OP's garbage.
>>
Dune, its arguably more profound than many "literary" works

the "literary/genre" distinction is retarded as fuck once you can recognize the theme behind the face value symbols.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.