[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anyone more overrated? He's literally just the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934 (1).jpg (24 KB, 285x352) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934 (1).jpg
24 KB, 285x352
Is there anyone more overrated? He's literally just the most pretentious parts of Robert W. Chambers with some gleepgloop aliens thrown in on occasion. Every word he writes hinges on the reader hungrily buying into the hamfisted mystique of his blasé esotericism and lazy pseudo-occultism. Anyone with a brain who looks for more in literature than the cheap thrill of nihilism has absolutely no reason to read or appreciate this garbage.
>>
>>7739151
No. To me he is the embodiment of lacklustre American literature.
>>
WHEN, LONG AGO, THE GODS CREATED EARTH
>>
>>7739164
Only good thing he ever wrote.
>>
>"...looks for more in literature than the cheap thrill of nihilism.."
Story of my life reading post- modern lireature
>>
>>7739151
>accuses someone else of being pretentious
>writes this
>>
>>7739258

>doesn't actually address how OP is wrong
>>
>>7739275
>doesnt address how hater anon is wrong
>inb4 next accusation of hypocrisy
>>
>>7739287
>calling people haters on a literature board
cut your eldritch wrists in a bathtub
>>
>>7739258
Seconded. Sentence #3 made me cringe. "Blasé". WTF man.
>>
>the hamfisted mystique of his blasé esotericism and lazy pseudo-occultism

You sound like a faggot
>>
>>7739287
inciting the pretentious spook and unironically using hater, consider voluntary eugenics
>>
>>7739313
I apologize, I should have incorporated more ironic swears.
>>
>>7739305
>>7739315
lol fags
>>
>>7739318
They're not ironic because you truly are a faggot
>>
>>7739305
Only then can we be rid of his madness
>>
>>7739151
>blasé esotericism
Omg u used french words u so smart omg OP !
>>
>>7739347
Like most intelligent human beings I used the words that I felt would adequately get my point across. I apologize if this offends your sophisticated sensibilities.
>>
File: rbt1.jpg (15 KB, 173x240) Image search: [Google]
rbt1.jpg
15 KB, 173x240
>>7739365
FRIGGIN EPIC MAN, fuck lovecraft bro, fuck his пpитязaтeльный blasé !
Screencap OP's post plox ! Simply ebin
Praise KEK !
>>
>>7739373
This has already devolved to the level of discussion that I would have expected from this board.
>>
This thread is SIMPLY EPIC
>>
>>7739379
FUCKIN REKT LMAO !
Fuck blasé !
>>
Toastin in epic bread !
>>
>>7739386
>probably thinks green goomonsters are the epitome of horror
>>
File: 1373501385688.jpg (14 KB, 226x219) Image search: [Google]
1373501385688.jpg
14 KB, 226x219
>blasé
I showed this thread to my gf and he laughed so hard, what a fucking loser OP !
>>
>>7739402
>I showed this thread to my gf and he laughed so hard
>he laughed so hard
>>
This thread is pure shitposting, but in regards to Lovecraft, what did you really expect, OP? He was a pulp 'weird' fiction writer in the early 20th century. You really don't go into his work expecting some deep insight into human nature.
>>
>>7739151

I'm pretty sure Lovecraft writes in a pretentious way because that's the voice in which his characters are supposed to be expressing. They're supposed to be pretentious know-it-all scientist types or academics whose learning is meaningless before the presence of the purely unknowable. Sure, the premise becomes formulaic when he has X academic meet Y horror, but the pretension serves a purpose. If he were writing about scenes of childhood or falling in love, then maybe his tone would be inappropriate.
>>
>>7739151
He published a lot of dogshit but some of his stories were great and you're an utter pleb if you hated stuff like Colour Out of Space. His odd word choice, odd setting and odd scenarios create a mixture of absurdity and dread that make his stories have a unique property, they feel truly alien in a way that few other authors pull off well.

The universe he created has grown and spun off for almost a century now, few truly talentless authors maintain appeal for that long. He wasn't exactly a deep writer, but he had a good imagination.
>>
>>7738384
Orwell, maybe Huxley.
>>
>>7739151
Yes Bukowski. Lovecraft was a great writer.
>>
Lovecraft bothers me as a lifelong /tg/fag.

Call of Cthulhu is easily one of the best tabletop RPGs out there. It's fun as fuck to play and run, and can get genuinely creepy if you've got a good GM. The official adventure modules are the best written in the industry, and the amount of historical research that goes into them borders on autistic.

But fuck me if HP doesn't write the purplest prose.

His ideas are "interesting" in that, in the hands of a better writer, they would have made for a fantastic short story. But old Harry Potter Lovecraft was not a better writer.
>>
>>7739309
>Doesn't know Blasé
Level up your French game, racaille inculte
>>
>>7739151
>this is coming from a board that thinks Finnegans wake has any literary merit

you are 4chans equivalent of postmodern art fags who circle jerk over a splatters of paint
>>
>>7740620
A lot of spooks in this post. I don't like it
>>
HPs prose is beautifully hilarious once you actually start reading it
>>
>>7740631
Yeah man everything is relativistic. A piece of poop smeared on a canvas has just as much artistic merit/skill as a painting by rembrant.
>>
>>7739164
FILLED IT WITH VICE
AND
>>
>>7739151
Love 4chan for these threads
XYZ is popular, i don't like XYZ, therefore XYZ is overrated and literally the worst thing ever.
You fucking hipsters.
>>
>>7740765
leave, pleb
>>
>>7740795
Yeah, this is a hugbox! Differing opinions are not welcome!
>>
>>7740798
assimilate or leave
>>
>>7740648
No, that is incorrect.
>>
>>7739151
nah
>>
>>7739151
Give him a break. He never saw himself as a literary genius, he was a subsistence writer. He and his wife were poor as shit and he'd push his stories to any magazine that would take them. He'd probably think all the hype and pretension around his work was dumb as much as you do.
>>
>>7740798
If you can't explain your mediocre opinion then yeah, time to leave, pleb scum. The single thing that keeps /lit/ entertaining and interesting is its overwhelming elitism; remove that and we become flooded with morons like you.
>>
Is he any worse than:

"Tick tock tick tock, the crow sucked on my cock."

- Edgar Allan Poe
>>
File: IMG_20160225_163840.jpg (8 KB, 160x143) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160225_163840.jpg
8 KB, 160x143
>>7739151
>blasé
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.