[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things Authors Need to Stop Doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
>story is told from the perspective of a child
>the kid has limited vocabulary and uses childish nicknames for things they don't know
>>
>>7738960
Numero uno: dont care if they do that
Number 2: 100% agree
>>
File: kate beacon is a whore.jpg (219 KB, 1413x805) Image search: [Google]
kate beacon is a whore.jpg
219 KB, 1413x805
>>
>>7738960
Are you talking about Room, anon?
>>
>>7738969
based
>>
>>7738969
I'm not disagreeing but you people really need to learn that loudly describing something doesn't count as a critique
>>
>>7738969
>Beatons SJWism is leaking into her comics now
It was good while it lasted.
Are webcomics as a whole a dying genre or am I just tiring of them?
>>
>>7738969

>lol patrician literary reference

That's pretty much the main deal of her comics though. If you don't like it because you don't know it, it's like not being a gamer and getting mad at a gaming comic for having references to games.
>>
>>7741602
>sjw can mean literally anything now
>>
I think her comics are a great way to introduce people to literature, and they're almost always funny or cute in some way.

I am genuinely concerned for this generation, that creates nothing and wants to tear everything down. We would have never progressed beyond Greek philosophy and mathematics if everyone was too scared of failing to do anything.
>>
>>7741693
> not full /pol/
> "sjw"
>>
>>7741741
>implying anything after the greeks is worth anything
>implying the greeks werent the apex of human civilization

lol get a load of this pleb guys
>>
>>7741741
>millenials aren't confident enough in their abilities and don't dare to express themselves.
That's not something you hear too often.
>>
>>7741741
Kill yourself. Do you know what learning and discipline entails?
>>
>>7738969
she made silly jokes withe the portrait of the books...

I will never understand why 4chan like to say that everybody is hack or pretentious

I like it, but I don't undestand.
>>
File: 1450757044021.jpg (136 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1450757044021.jpg
136 KB, 919x720
>>7738960
>tfw one of the chapters in my book is from the point of view of the protagonist ad a child and was going to have much simpler prose then the rest of the story
>see this thread
>>
>>7741886
don't worry. joyce did it.
>>
>>7738960
I think the maker of that image expects readers to be familiar only with Sinclair Ross from a Canadian Lit course, and to have read not much else
>>
>>7741612
gamers don't laugh at gaming comics because they get the reference. they laugh because there's a good joke about the game

kate's comics have no real meat. they work because the reader takes some perverse satisfaction from 'getting the reference', along with some joy at old literature which they regard as an entirely serious business (because they rarely read it) being set up as entirely silly and random by taking a few wacky details out of context.

What she does not get is that part of what make good literature funny is that the wacky details HAVE justifications. It may be funny that Madame W has a curious habit; it is funnier if she can give elaborate defences of her habit, such that it begins to sound entirely rational. The funniest thing about silly people is that, if you accept their complex set of values and prejudices, their silly behaviour is just plain good sense, or even noble virtue.
>>
>fantasy or future setting
>some nouns are the same as currently used but spelled differently
>"pharms", "ser"

worldbuilding_for_plebs.exe
>>
>>7741951
>gamers don't laugh at gaming comics because they get the reference. they laugh because there's a good joke about the game
You aren't all gamers I'm afraid.
>>
>>7741958
>.exe
pleb
>>
>>7741963
oh, if you mean shit, unfunny gamer comics, then it doesn't help your point
>>
>>7741963
I also wish that there was only one gamer. Zero would be even better.
>>
>>7741969
oh I'm sorry

.swf
>>
>>7738969
>>7741602
>>7741693
>>7741748
She's not an sjw, pretty clear from the comic that she's a legitimate feminist with a good knowledge of history. Also the fact that the comic is actually funny makes clear she's not an sjw, one of their defining traits is humorless authoritarianism.
>>
File: what you want.jpg (230 KB, 1000x703) Image search: [Google]
what you want.jpg
230 KB, 1000x703
>>7738960
>tfw you think most authors are shit because you catch them writing lazy sentences
I think it's time to go outside.
>>
>>7741971
I've yet to encounter a funny gamer comic.
>>
>>7741886
as long as the whole thing is not like that, it is fine
>>
>>7741748
more like
>unwarranted sense of smug moral superiority
>co opting universal values to paint yourself as the underdog who's actually on the moral highground

like those "not fake at all" encounters with the comically exaggerated homophobes/racist/sexist etc
>>
>using the word "exclaimed"
>using the word "muttered"
Nothing comes of as more amateurish imho
>>
Room was like me and climaxed too early.
>>
>>7741758
>implying the Greeks were better than China

Tu Fu, Confucius, Laozi, Zhuangzi and Li Bai would whip Homer, Plato's and Aristotle's ass any day.
>>
>>7745760
This. Most contemporary writers avoid that shit, I've noticed.
I was going to say that adverbs are worse, but I've seen them used well.
>>
>>7746133
you haven't even read them in the original chinese pleb

chinese literary tradition is garbage

source: me
>>
>>7746266
No way. Du Fu, Lao Tzu, and Zhuangzi can't be considered anything but world class.

I've read them in the originals btw.
>>
>>7741951
if this is true, then why did I have to listen to that "took an arrow in the knee" meme for a year?
>>
>>7746275
>5000 year history
>billions of people
>produced less than 10 authors worth reading

china is only ahead of india in terms of contribution vs volume ratio.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.