[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a term that describes giving undue importance or revolutionary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
Is there a term that describes giving undue importance or revolutionary pretense to a single trivial aspect of modern life?

Some examples: "the Twitter Revolution", the whole anonymous legion hacktivist angle, "Fedora shaming as discursive activism", the idea that Shia LaBeouf is an avant garde artist, 3D printers being our key to a post-scarcity society and their users being the new revolutionary class, etc.

You've probably seen this shit thousands of times. I understand it has to do with clickbait and narcissism, but that alone doesn't really cut it for me. It's too much of a coherent way of thinking, I think it deserves its own ism.

Any articles on the subject would also be appreciated.

picture very relevant

sry for bad engels
>>
>>7737997
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/the-rise-of-victimhood-culture/404794/

Only somewhat related but OP made me think of this.
>>
>>7737997
I agree with you, there should be a word for this phenomenon, but one has to look out with that, as this phenomenon is loosely related to the throwing around of -isms, so you could get lost in a feedback loop
>>
Shia LaBeouf has done legitimately interesting stuff but other than that yeah I agree this shit is ridiculous
>>
Hype
>>
>>7738024
This is interesting and very true, not just in America, but in every other country where there is a large 'progressive' cargo cult millieu, as they all try to emulate this culture. But yeah, not that relevant to my question.

Also I just remembered that this shit was also typical of late 90s early 00s 'antiglobalism'. Like if you read No Logo, for example, there's the interesting and still relevant stuff about brand politics, but when she gets to the "activism" part, oh god, street art is supposedly this cutting-edge way of protest.

Then even before that, in the 60s and 70s you have Timothy Leary, "LSD revolution"-type stuff, a lot of it in fact. So maybe that's it then? Leary-ism? Though >>7738067 has a point about isms
>>
>>7738127
yeah I guess that also works, kinda. Doesn't sound too pretentious as well
>>
>>7737997
The Situationists and whoever followed after them usually write about it, the first time the commodification of revolution is treated with any depth being the Revolution of Everyday Life (that name itself being a poor translation to something like A Treaty on Living for the New Generations)
>>
>>7737997
>Is there a term that describes giving undue importance or revolutionary pretense to a single trivial aspect of modern life?

It's called "Anglo Media Culture."
>>
>>7737997
What about Adorno? That chord in the beginning of the overture of Wagner's Tristan and Isolde forever changed the history of human culture! I mean really? No even 1e-3% of humanity has ever even heard about Wagner.
>>
>>7737997
the word you are looking for is "Marxism"
>>
>>7737997

Fetishizing?
>>
>>7740054
that means absolutely nothing
>>
mythologising?
>>
>>7740115
nope
>>
Appropriation?
>>
why does Marxist theory attract such pseudo-intellectual faggots

did they have trouble with simple math so they needed something academic-sounding?
>>
>>7737997
>Czeka
To sobie jeszcze poczeka.
>>
>>7740245
yep

>>7740270
yep
>>
>>7740115
the board you're looking for is pol
>>
File: ZJh7uWC.gif (983 KB, 192x240) Image search: [Google]
ZJh7uWC.gif
983 KB, 192x240
>>7737997
Memes.
>an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture
>>
>>7741367
Wypierdalaj, pokrako z Wykopu.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.