[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When I read I struggle between focusing on what's actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1021px-John_Singer_Sargent_001.jpg (211 KB, 1021x1024) Image search: [Google]
1021px-John_Singer_Sargent_001.jpg
211 KB, 1021x1024
When I read I struggle between focusing on what's actually going on, and visualising what's being described: I can only really do one or the other. Will my ability to process both of these at the same time improve as I read more?
>>
>>7737111
At least you're conscious about that. Try reading the text twice: first time focus on what's going on, verbally, the next time visualize it and then synthesize them into something you can both understand and have a mental picture of. After a time your comprehension of texts will improve.
>>
>>7737111
whats the difference?
>>
>>7737283
yeah been trying this since I made the post actually, thanks

>>7737294
following the narrative and visualising the characters and the space that it's actually happening
>>
Things I think about when reading a sentence:

>quality of the prose
>whether it's factually accurate
>what the scene looks, smells (etc) and generally "feels" like
>how old the author was when he published the book
>whether I could have written the sentence in a superior way
>is this something I could post on /lit/
>my oneitis
>have I read a variation of this sentence in another book, and if so which one?
>>
>>7737340
thanks
>>
>>7737342
You too
>>
>>7737346
I'm sure you'll kiss your oneitis some day
>>
My problem is that I don't have the "patience" to read in order, I always tend to look at the end of a page and only then read from the beginning.

Am I autistic or what?
>>
I thought those things were done at the same time, I don't think it'll be easy for me to separate these parts.
>>
>>7737352
Very doubtful if you were aware of the context.
>>
>tfw you don't visualize

I don't even know how
>>
I don't get it, what exactly are you visualising if you're not understanding what's being described?
>>
>>7737706
I can understand all the information, as if I was reading a news article, but I struggle to create a strong mental image while Im doing so
>>
>>7737333
Can't you do those things similtaneously?

"When Bob saw Jessica with James, Bob felt his face flush and excused himself to the washroom to calm down" surely you can imagine this and also understand the meaning? How do you interpret real life in real time?
>>
Why do I feel so lethargic after reading?
I get plenty of sleep and exercise.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.