[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I like it so far, I've read every story except the dead.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Dubliners_title_page.jpg (77 KB, 498x780) Image search: [Google]
Dubliners_title_page.jpg
77 KB, 498x780
I like it so far, I've read every story except the dead. I'm not sure how I'm going to do with Ulysses since I feel stuff is going over my head. In Two Gallants I didn't pick up that they were stealing from that maid's master until I looked online. In Grace everything went over my head since I don't know a whole lot about anything they were talking about. Also in Clay, I had to look online to see what had happened since the significance of the clay was lost on me. Do I have no chance with Ulysses or am I doing OK?
>>
read portrait first. you're probably not gonna have a good time with ulysses if you're missing a lot of stuff in dubliners, though ulysses can be enjoyed without knowing symbols/significance/context since a lot of it is just the style and prose and wordplay.
>>
>>7734302
Would you say that it's "too much" if I'm missing just pretty much just the stuff in the OP?
>>
>>7734289
>>7734289
Get a good companion to Ulysses or a good annotated text. That should help a lot.
>>
>>7734289
Eh, you'll be alright. People put too much stock in trying to understand every little thing going on in Ulysses anyway.

Definitely read Portrait first, not only because it's one of the greatest bildungsromans ever written, but the first 3 chapters of Ulysses are a stream of consciousness by its main character.

When reading Ulysses I just read the chapter summaries on wikipedia before reading each chapter and I was okay.
>>
>>7734289
just dive on in. fuck the preparatory texts. smoke a fat sack of medium strength bud and get list in Joyce's world. don't you want personal moments with the text? let someone tell you what to look for on your second go round. in portrait, if you must read it, just remember that both it and dubliners are pissants in comparison.
>>
I read Portrait first and fucking loved it, even if I did miss some of the contextual stuff. I started Dubliners and read about half of the stories but quit because they all just rehashing a of the same symbols, themes, etc. and got kind of boring. For Ulysses I would suggest checking out chapter summaries after each chapter if a lot of it went over your head. Fucking kudos to anyone who got Proteus the first time through.
>>
you'll probably be fine desu. do read portrait first. nobody understands everything in ulysses the first time they read it anyway so just because you didn't understand a couple dubliners stories that require extensive knowledge of irish history (like half of dubliners does, and half of ulysses does too) doesn't mean you'll get any less out of it than most
>>
>>7734334
Not him but what's a good companion or a good annotated edition?
>>
>>7736604
Bump
>>
>>7734289
Apparently I am not the only one. This makes me feel slightly better.

>>7736604
I used the penguin student edition and it was alright.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.