[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything I should read or know about him before jumping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 495x660) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 495x660
Is there anything I should read or know about him before jumping into his worl?

Also, start with his short stories or The Trial?
>>
u should start with my ass whole ;)
>>
>>7733578

start by waking up as a giant insect
>>
>>7733578
>Is there anything I should read
Flaubert
>>
why don't you make a thread AFTER you read him
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
Read him chronologically like any other author
>>
>>7733578
Just read his stuff. The order doesn't matter with him.
>>
Just jump into the trial or his short stories and continue from there
>>
>>7733578
I would recommend reading at least two of his short stories, namely The Judgement and The Penal Colony. Those two will show you his style the most and you will understand him a lot better after having read those.

You will also have to be a bit familiar with his personal life. A wikipedia summary will most likely do, but if you want to dig deeper, then you can read his letters, which are probably online somewhere.

Regarding his longer works. I don't think the reading order for those are that important. I only urge you to read the Castle last, since it was his last work, which he never finished. Because then you are familiar with his writing and will probably be able to fill in the gaps and such.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.