[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has your city birthed any literary greats? Lord Byron, DH Lawrence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1455394891585.jpg (51 KB, 480x679) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455394891585.jpg
51 KB, 480x679
Has your city birthed any literary greats?

Lord Byron, DH Lawrence and Alan Sillitoe grew up in my home town but they never seem to be celebrated or recognised in any way apart from a poster near the train station!
>>
Oh my god! people ITT were born in the same city as great people! I wish I were that special
>>
>>7733406
Not city, but I know a few who share my race and gender. Does that count? A...are we /pol/ now? Please?
>>
>>7733413
I wanted to see if the same applies for other city's.
But now you mention it I am at a more elevated status than you, worship me plebeian! Bask in the literary glory of my forefathers!!
>>
>>7733423
Only works if you're black.

niggers are illiterate
>>
>>7733406
>Sillitoe
Is that for real or are you berryconing me
>>
>>7733406
Rushdie

...and i've read not a single word by him.
>>
>Philadelphia
Walt Whitman, Ben Franklin, Noam Chomsky
>>
Samuel Beckett and Oscar Wilde went to my school
>>
>>7733691
Don't forget Poe, Twain, and Ezra Pound.

Maybe Swanwick, but he's kind of eh...
>>
Walter Scott, Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert Loui,s Stevenson, David Hume, Irvine Welsh, Norman MacCaig, Iain Banks, J. M. Barrie, Muriel Spark, JK Rowling and many more.
>>
>>7733734
I was more considering people from Philly or who did a significant amount of their work there
>>
>>7733710
Erasmus went to my high school and I think that makes me cool
>>
>>7733406
Gabrielle Roy
>>
Just looked at my hometown's wikipedia page in the notable people section and I saw this entry:
>Lil Bub, famous cat, internet sensation
>notable people
>famous cat
Nothing great here, unless you consider Angelo Pizzo's scripts for Rudy and Hoosiers great literary works.
>>
>>7733755
William T Vollmann went to my high school. That's close, right? R-right?
>>
>>7733776
Little Bub is very sweet!

Oxford so the list of greats, and literary greats, is extensive
>>
>Norman Maclean, James Welch, Richard Hugo
They all have limited appeal outside of here but whatever.
>>
no one's really from Chicago but Theodore Dreiser and Sherwood Anderson and Hemingway all might as well be. Nelson Algren is but no one reads him anymore for some reason.

we have a lot of journalists and historians and nonfiction writers though, Studs Terkel namely
>>
Vancouver?
>>
Hector Tizon and fuck all else
>>
>>7734869

You've got as much claim to Saul Bellow as anyone else.
>>
>>7734915
Bellow and Dreiser are still the two leading literary depictions of the city, which is pretty insane when you think about it
>>
>>7734927

I loved The Man with the Golden Arm.

I'm from LA; guess Bukowski is the native son of letters.
>>
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe - Frankfurt
>>
>>7734939
Algren is great. Simone de Beauvoir was in love with him. Theirs is the great Chicago love story.
>>
>>7734958
>implying he wasn't French
>>
Me.
>>
>>7734966

Well-played.
>>
>tfw u live in a big city and there are too many to name
>>
Tommy Ligotti and Eminem. Not the same city but close.
>>
>>7735340
fellow Detroiter here.. i guess you could also say Francis Ford Coppola
>>
>>7735340
also Jeffrey Eugenides
>>
>>7735340

Smokey Robinson, the city's greatest poet.
>>
>>7735056

what city?
>>
>>7735385
You mean Big Sean?
>>
>>7735403

Not sure 'Big Nut Bust' quite touches Smokey.
>>
>>7734884
Hey, I'm from Vancouver too. William Gibson wasn't born here, but he lives here. It'd be cool to know if there are any other writers in/from Vancouver though.
>>
I used to live in Galesburg, Il. All over town there are billboards directing you to Carl Sandburg's birthplace.
>>
No one but there are a lot of slam poets from my area. So that's terrible.

Rush has a song about my neighbourhood, I guess.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.