[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should characters speak exactly like real people?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 600x449
Should characters speak exactly like real people?
>>
Depends what you're going for. If your character is a regular everyman, then yeah.
>>
>>7733326
Why is that puppy so cute.
>>
>>7733326
no, stuttering and making mistakes and self corrections in literature is stupid. the way normal people talk is the way nervous or stupid people speak in literature and movies.
>>
>>7733326
If they are real people.
>>
Totally dependent on what you're going for. Shakespeare's characters never speak like real people and it works marvellously.
>>
No, even when a newspaper interviews someone, they take out all the stuttering and the like.
>>
>>7733326

If you mean things like regional dialects, then no. You can hint at it, but it becomes a serious distraction to the reader otherwise. Dickens was about the only writer who managed to write dialects and avoid this. For an example of dialectical writing that's especially jarring and difficult, take a look at this tale by Poe:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2151/2151-h/2151-h.htm#link2H_4_0008
>>
who is "real people"?
>>
>>7733405
I don't really agree with this. Huck Finn wouldn't be half the same book without it.
>>
>>7733326
> implying we are real
>>
real people talk like retards and it would be annoying to read, so no
>>
>>7733326
NOT IF THE CHARACTERS ARE DOGS
>>
>>7733366
Because it has attributes that resemble a human baby, thus triggering your speciesism and nurturing instinct.
>>
>>7733405
Confederacy of Dunces did accents pretty decent as well
>>
>>7733502
How the hell are dogs supposed to talk?
>>
>>7734067
read Pynchon
>>
>>7734067
Learnèdly and with an English accent.
>>
>>7733326
Not even real people speak exactly like real people.
>>
>>7733398
but people always say that shakespeare used iambic pentameter to mimic natural speech
>>
>>7734067
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEiJF0c8MlM

like this i suppose
>>
>>7733684
no, it's because cute things are cute
>>
There is no 'ought' in art you fool.
>>
Just have them speak believably for the situation they're in, or at least have them try. A character fucking up in a social situation is a useful tool for character development, albeit cliched.
>>
Huh *shrugs*
But you know, I mean, that would look really annoying. I mean, people always talk... Messily and... Ssspontaneously. They repeat themselves all the time and... And that kind of thing would get really boring after some time. After all, the stories are unusual in books already, why couldn't characters speak unusually. I mean, in this clean and readable manner. It's like that in all art, we... we clean up all that useless and boring stuff.
>>
>>7734741
Bendis?
>>
no. see:

>>7733372
>>7733404
>>7733479
>>7734741
>>
File: metaphor-cartoon.gif (11 KB, 289x275) Image search: [Google]
metaphor-cartoon.gif
11 KB, 289x275
Do you want actors being as boring as normal human beings?
>>
>>7734260
It kinda does in terms of the iambic bit (eg, */*/*/*/*/*/**/*/*/*/**/ from you is mostly iambic). It's the autism of sticking to it and requiring each line end after ten syllables that makes it unnatural.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.