[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Started this tonight. Any good tips or resources to help me along?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: ulysses.gif (529 KB, 640x964) Image search: [Google]
ulysses.gif
529 KB, 640x964
Started this tonight. Any good tips or resources to help me along? Just beginning episode 3 specifically, which I've heard is a bit rough.

Thanks in advance.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_schema_for_Ulysses
>>
congratulations. You fell for the meme.
>>
>>7732638
congrats on the worst edition of the best novel ever written

stupid fuck
>>
>>7732714

>implying

...I am reading the Oxford World's Classics edition. Which would you recommend?
>>
>>7732721
>implying
what was i supposed to think? it's in the OP. you can't just go around posting the Gabler like that

oxford uses the original 1922 text which is fine of course, but does contain many errors and type set issues.

i'd say the best overall that fixes things, but doesn't go so far as to fuck things up like Gabler would be the 1960/1961 editions which are still being printed by Modern Library and Everyman's.
>>
>>7732737

Thanks for the heads up. I just picked up the Oxford because I heard it struck a happy medium as far as annotations and its less than $2 in the kindle store...

I'll probably snag the edition you recommended and compare.
>>
>>7732749
yep, i own it myself as well. it's a good overall edition, the annotations and included essays are nice, and i like having it for originality's sake. but you will probably notice typos, misspellings and various other wrong word usage which might trip you up because the 1922 text had a lot of issues.

that's why I also have a copy of the 1960 modern library edition, it's a little easier to read overall on your next read through since you won't notice as many of these problems.
>>
>>7732638
Best advice I can give is read is quickly once, then read it slowly later in the year. You really need to just bite the bullet the first time, or you'll just end up drunk in language.
>>
>>7732638
smoke a fat sack of weed. not even kidding.
>>
>>7732808

hmm, interesting idea.

>>7732810

don't smoke anymore
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.