[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is his short work or novels worth reading? Or is he just some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: Aleister_Crowley.jpg (189 KB, 1084x1512) Image search: [Google]
Aleister_Crowley.jpg
189 KB, 1084x1512
Is his short work or novels worth reading? Or is he just some crazy guy that people who are into magic pretend is good. I know Nick Land likes him, not sure why though.
>>
>>7732362
>guy helped create scientology

well, OP, what do you think, really?
>>
>>7732386
Uncle Fester helped create Scientology?
>>
>>7732362
i'd like to hear more thoughts on this too bc i know a lot of the modernists were really into the occult stuff like anthroposophy/theosophy/etc. the only examples i have are andrei bely and ts eliot, but joyce referenced the theosophists in ulysses too
>>
>>7732398
he sho did, chile
>>
>>7732403
Check out Helena Blavatsky, she's probably the central key figure for that era.
>>
>>7732386
I was told that isn't true.
>>
>>7732463
>was told

by whom, anon?
>>
>>7732386
Hubbard stole some ideas from Crowley, bastardized them, and incorporated them into his fucked up theology. Not the same thing
>>
>>7732362

Crowley is a mediocre poet, focusing on AABB-ABAB rhyme schemes, usually with lurid imagery. However he was rich (earlier in life) and incessantly self-published himself, effectively and successfully forcing himself as a meme on the world, which is why this thread exists in /lit/ of all places. However, the appeal of the historical person is that he literally did whatever the hell he wanted to do, pretty much all the time, and pretty much got away with it. Nor is this a misreading of his famous "Do What Thou Wilt" meme: Crowley smoked drugs, did depravity, squandered money, traveled the world, defrauded and lied constantly, and got away with it.

If you read one thing from him, first go to wiki/youtube for some biographical information, then read The Book Of The Law. It is the basis of Thelema, and goes into everything else (Crowley started multiple cults). If nothing else, it will give you a cultural education. Once I got some understanding of Crowley, a lot more of the 20th century pop-music culture made sense. This meme is being intensified even now, as this thread, again, attests.

The book itself also has some literary merit in the sense that it is obviously a guy founding a cult (which is why the other guy's Scientology comment is so good here). Crowley was "channeling" a messenger of deities, which was the text of the book, but Crowley himself was an avid bible student early in life before he broke bad after his father's death; one line is almost verbatim from the end of Revelation. When you're paying attention, a few other lines were also legible both into the bible, egyptology, and the larger culture. Crowley's own mediocre poetry is on display in the book as well.

The Book of Lies is also extremely short and can be appreciated slightly with minimal investment. The trick to all this is to understand the arc of Crowley's life, for which the free internet is a fine starting point.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/engccxx.htm
>>
>>7732362
I particularly enjoyed reading Duty desu senpai. The downside of many of his works is that there's a chance you'll run into terms, expressions or symbols you won't understand unless you've spent a bit of time reading occult works.
>>
>>7732386
>>guy helped create scientology
He didn't.
He created the Order of Oriental Templars. Pretty fucked up apparently. The initiation involves some sexual ritual and fucked up shit.
>>
>>7733155
Sounds sexy.
>>
>>7732488
I agree that everyone should understand the Crowley meme and that the book of lies was actually a decent read.

Crowley is basically the most retarded shit you could do with Nietzsche and believe you me, a lot of really retarded shit has been done with his work. He even has Nietzsche as a saint to pray to in his gnostic mass which would have made old Fred more than a little butthurt.

I do like Crowley's declaration on the universal rights of man though, it contains all of the expression rights, and importantly the right to kill anyone who tries to stop you from exercising them. The UN always seems to miss that one.
>>
>>7732484
Actually, Crowley had an apprentice named Jack Parsons (founder of Jet Propulsion Laboratory for NASA). JPL was often referred to for a time as "Jack Parson's Lab."

Any-who, it was Jack Parsons that took Hubbard under his wing (failing to realize that the man was a complete and utter con-artist, stealing some $21,000 dollars from him later on in life (a considerable amount of money at the time) as well as his wife, Sara).

Anyways, I would recommend the short-work "Liber Oz" by Crowley. It sums up his ideas simply and easily. Then, I recommend you read "Freedom is a Two-Edged Sword" by Jack Parsons. It is one of Robert Anton Wilson's favorite essays.
>>
>/lit/ will never have a scientific illuminism general
>>
>>7733401

>Then, I recommend you read "Freedom is a Two-Edged Sword" by Jack Parsons.

That was an interesting read, thanks.
>>
>>7733654
You're welcome. ^_^
>>
No one mentioned the Simon Iff Stories? They're like a more occult-based Arthur Conan Doyle.
>>
>>7732428
Jiddu Krishnamurti was discovered by the Theosophical society, until he broke away from that BS, going on to write some wonderful philosophical essays of his own. Education and the Significance of Life is one that is well worth your time.
>>
>>7732428
Theosophy is pleb shit t be h
>>
>>7732403
kafka was big into the theosophy as well
>>
>>7733890
As well as Gnosticism.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.