[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writer's block
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: me.jpg (26 KB, 560x634) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
26 KB, 560x634
>tfw I feel like everything I want to write about has been written about
>tfw I want to find a way to write a politically/philosophically original novel when every idea has been beaten with a stick over and over

Maybe I'll write a dystopian novel about equa- Harrison Bergeron.

That's okay because I can still write a novel and a totalitarian sta- 1984.

No, I'm fine. I can neatly intertwine romance with politics in a- Great Gatsby.

I feel like if I write anything it would be relegated to the young adult romance genre because the only original thing I can think of is a setting.

What are your writer's block feels /lit/?
>>
i've been struggling with writer's block for a little bit but i've started reading again and i find that the more i read the more ideas i get and finally the urge to write grows larger than my writer's block and i manage to churn out something interesting, or at least something i think is interesting. don't really worry if something's been "done before" at first and just write what you want
>>
it's about execution not originality ya goof
>>
>writing dystopias
>2016
>>
Just read more and stop trying hard to be sophisticated
>>
>>7732143
I also agree. OP should be executed!
>>
File: the-old-guys.jpg (130 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
the-old-guys.jpg
130 KB, 612x612
>>7732910
He certainly shouldn't have originated!
>>
>tfw have ideas and enjoy the process of writing but too scared to truly put myself into it because it will expose all my insecurties and fantasies.
>>
All the space inside the box is colored! What am I supposed to do?!
>>
>>7733158

get a pseudonym anon senpai
>>
>>7733158
Wanting to write without delving into your insecurities is like wanting to swim without getting wet. Sure, you can turn up to the pool in a wetsuit, but you'd look like a fucking tool. It's the same with writing; if you want to truly make your audience feel, you must also feel--writing without exploring yourself, your thoughts, feelings, and subconscious fears/desires first is going to make your writing seem flat and hackneyed.

If you feel vulnerable while you write, and moderately uncomfortable with the things that you're writing, then that's a good start.
>>
>>7734462
>If you feel vulnerable while you write, and moderately uncomfortable with the things that you're writing, then that's a good start.

t. faggot
>>
>>7734462
confessional crap is crap
>>
File: 1410628576370.jpg (7 KB, 250x255) Image search: [Google]
1410628576370.jpg
7 KB, 250x255
>>7732100
>>7732143
>>7732910
>>7732923
>>
>>7732100
If you don't have something in particular that you really want to express then you shouldn't be writing.
>>
>>7732100
All that's important in philosophy has been talked about in literature. Be artistic instead of academic.
>>
>>7734580
well the straight confessional is boring, but any lens you apply focusing on some particular topic can be looked through one way to same but also backwards to the author, obliquely. one must learn to control for that and use it wisely.
>>
>>7732100
The problem I run into is that I don't believe that anything I write could be worth more than shit. I find the thought, that my brain's musings might be even just shy of decent, to be absurd.

And thus I don't ever try in the first place.
>>
File: writers-block-banner1.jpg (128 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
writers-block-banner1.jpg
128 KB, 600x300
-Go out and experience life

-Read other peoples work and copy them

-Write and Edit

-Don't give in
>>
>>7736057
You owe me two more m8
>>
>>7732161
Dystopias are easily the greatest genre in literature. Anyone with half a brain can name more than 10 Dystopian classics and for a good reason. Dystopias will never die!
>>
>>7735247
I cringed too
>>
>>7737019
It was stupid but funny, get that stick out of your ass.
>>
>>7737025
Yes sir I'll pull it out right away sir
>>
File: Trump point.png (229 KB, 407x366) Image search: [Google]
Trump point.png
229 KB, 407x366
>>7737029
>>
stop obsessing over how to be ahead of the curve or great, first of all. Even if you become a master at those things, the best you can do is be a mediocre writer like DFW, that's literally the best case-scenario.

You should probably read more Shakespeare and the Bible and stop taking creative writing classes, just saying. Maybe write poetry instead of plots.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.