[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Report /v/, /a/, /co/ & /tv/ posts Edition Recommendati
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: The Heart of Things.jpg (180 KB, 992x800) Image search: [Google]
The Heart of Things.jpg
180 KB, 992x800
Report /v/, /a/, /co/ & /tv/ posts Edition

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg
(For the Computer illiterate) http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL
(4 the Plebs) http://imgur.com/oPLOaVO
http://imgur.com/hasKZsT

>Sci-Fi
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a6/Scifilit.jpg
(For the Computer illiterate) http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc
http://imgur.com/r55ODlL
http://imgur.com/A96mTQX

>What are you currently reading?
>How has the recent thread disruptions from off topic posts affected you?
>How do you deal with it?

Old thread >>7727735
>>
>>7731613
About to start the stars my destination
i haven't been in these thread for a while, what happen?
>>
>>7731613
> Science Fiction and Fantasy General
>>
>>7731613

The Mote in God's Eye

they have upset me greatly

i retreat into escapist genre fiction
>>
Where should I start with Asimov?
>>
>>7731658

the Foundation Trilogy
>>
Are there any modern sci-fi writers that take after the pulps?
>>
>>7731880
What "pulp" are you looking for specifically?
>>
>>7731613
So have any of you guys read the Hard Luck Hank books? I thought they were quite good.
>>
>>7732052
>that cover
Looks like Conan in space/post apocalyptic future.
>>
He is kinda like Conan. Better at talking things out with people though.
>>
>>7732039

Pre-golden age/big 3 era

William Hope Hodgson, H.G Wells, maybe dipping into weird fiction like CAS or even some of Lovecraft's more blatantly sci-fi stories
>>
>>7732076

Does he always wear a bright purple bath robe or is that just what he happened to be wearing when some shit got real?
>>
>>7732131
It kinda happens after shit gets real. H wears it for politics.
>>
>>7732157
*he
>>
>>7731675
Another good starting point is The Caves of Steel/The Naked Sun, if you like robots and mystery.
>>
>>7732052
Is it funny? I'm reading Pride and Prejudice right now and I feel like I'll need something totally out there but also funny after I finish it.
>>
>>7731613
How far should I read into the Dune series before I drop it?
>>
>>7732122
John C. Wright was actually contacted by the van Vogt estate to write the final Null-A novel. He's written some of the best Hodgson Mythos stuff out there, he references pulps incessantly, the waves of human civilizations/post-human civilizations/post-post-human civilizations in the Count to the Eschaton series are often direct homages to pulps. I would start with Awake in the Night Land, skip Orphans of Chaos, and read Golden Age after you've caught up with Count to the Eschaton.
>>
File: SelectFantasyFavorites.jpg (974 KB, 1573x2410) Image search: [Google]
SelectFantasyFavorites.jpg
974 KB, 1573x2410
>>7731613
Here sf&f, I made this for you. As I said when I first posted my selected sci-fi favorites chart, I'm not nearly as well-read in fantasy so I don't really feel qualified to make a chart, and thus this chart isn't nearly as good (there are several books on here I consider interesting but ultimately mediocre), but seeing how the last thread turned out I thought I'd give it my best shot. I expect this won't help a lot of people looking for normal fantasy, and I expect a lot of people won't agree with my inclusion of mythological/quasi-religious/magical realism stuff, so, you know, change it however you like or ignore it entirely.
>>
>>7732374
I will not change it, because that would require effort. I will not ignore it either, though.
I will merely hoot and holler at you in an obnoxious way.
>>
>>7732242
Personally I made it to Heretics of Dune and finished it before giving up.
Read the first four.
>>
File: cyberpunk_2077_render.png (1 MB, 1423x1109) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk_2077_render.png
1 MB, 1423x1109
I find myself with a budding interest in the silliness of cyberpunk, how's the Sprawl trilogy?
>>
>>7732464

I've only read Neuromancer; it was good. Flashes of brilliance in the prose.

The pacing and plotting reminds me of PKD.

It's not as dated as people say it is. It feels more like an alternate history/future than an incorrect projection.

Here's something far more important than that: don't let anyone trick you into reading Snow Crash. It's awful.
>>
>>7732485
>don't let anyone trick you into reading Snow Crash
But I liked Anathem and the Baroque Cycle.
>>
>>7732485
Awfully stylin', you mean. It's a deconstruction of the edgy action hero. That deconstructs by playing it straight.

Who am I kidding, it's a massive confusion of cool ideas without the erudition of later Stephenson. But they are really cool ideas.
>>
>>7732490
Snow crash fell out of time, when it was written it was excellent it really was but it grew old quick. Culture over took it and what it was started to reflect what younger and younger people were doing or into as part of the culture and so it lost a lot of its appeal. It was no longer at the edge and cool, but what kids are into. Sad really, glad I read it then. It is good but you have to read it with an eye to the intended readers of the time and what it was to them. A lot of culture now has come off of it too, it was a well read influential book, the influences becoming bigger and dwarfing its value.
>>
>>7732464
Neuromancer's great. Count Zero was okay but not as good - dividing his focus amongst multiple major characters wrecks the momentum and leads to none of the main characters being explored properly. Haven't read Mona Lisa Overdrive yet.

The short story collection Burning Chrome (includes some Sprawl stories) is worth reading too.
>>
>>7731613

Oh look, it's an image which is obviously derivative of the Space Jockey set of Alien.
>>
>>7732374
Yeah, these are good books, but Chesterton, Dante and Homer aren't usually what probably look for in the fantasy section. That's why I didn't put them in the list yesterday. But it's pretty good.
>>
Tell me about your novel projects, /lit/. In as little or as much detail as you want.
>>
>>7732374
A lot of those books maybe fantastical in some way, but they aren't what people in these threads would call fantasy.

They are more like what persons outside this thread would call fantasy... why didn't you throw in the bible?
>>
File: CHAINSAW KNEES.jpg (55 KB, 1162x827) Image search: [Google]
CHAINSAW KNEES.jpg
55 KB, 1162x827
>>7731613
next time put a subject in.

still the orc king, really need to wrap it up.

it hasn't.

I ignore that which doesn't interest me.

>>7731620
>the stars my destination
very good choice.
>i haven't been in these thread for a while, what happen?
last thread suddenly went extremely fast for no apparent reason.

>>7731658
don't listen to those others, start with The Complete Robot. lots of short stories. if you don't like them, don't even start with the rest.

>>7732464
>those wrists
pic related

>>7732586
where is the problem in that?

>>7732907
>implying
>>
>>7733036
Because the bible isn't fiction
>>
>>7733038
Actually the reason was me trying to kill time and loneliness.
>>
>>7733042
for the thread going fast?
>>
>>7733048
Yes. I had at least 50 posts.
>>
File: mb01_world_map-webres.jpg (291 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
mb01_world_map-webres.jpg
291 KB, 800x1200
>that Childhood's End miniseries
Pure desecration. Clarke probably rolled in his grave.

>start reading VALIS
The prose is pretty fucking neat. Is this the result of a man infused with the power of LSD?
>>
>>7733159
Childhood's End TV was pretty good. I haven't read the book, but as is I liked it a lot.
VALIS is man fused with a pink laser of God duuuude LMAO
>>
>>7733163
Nah, Childhood's End is pretty shit.
>children flying
Please.
>>
>>7733172
Is that seriously a problem?
There are few problems with the show itself, or at least I didn't notice any.
>>
>>7733180
They changed the message of the book.
>>
ų
>>
>>7733183
A change doesn't make it bad, it makes it different.
>>
>>7733256
Changing the message of the story being adapted does make it a bad adaptation.
>>
>>7732374
It's better than the abomination that the two other guys in the last thread made at least.
>>
>>7733258
Yes but it's a good show
>>
>>7731613

Cheap, short ebooks from Amazon. I've given up on anything I can't read in a few toilet visits or weekend commutes.

They haven't.

I don't need to.
>>
>>7732436
>>7732242
The first four complete the long prophecy's story arc. Anything after is pure filler.
>>
>>7733261
No, it's not. It's stupid.
>>7733256
They changed the book and made it into your typical murrican muh love garbage.
>whaa please save something of the human race
Fuck off.
I didn't particularly like the message of the book but at least it wasn't this bad.
>>
Any sci-fi horror list?
>>
>>7733259
>It's better than the abomination that the two other guys in the last thread made at least.

Are you by chance the anon who said that he doesn't read fantasy in the last thread, and you were there to discuss what you liked?

Don't you know that our fellow e/lit/ist outside this thread call us the pleb general?
Don't you know that they look down on "genrefags", even thought any book that isn't recounting actual events, or certified scientific research is fiction, ergo fantasy.

Yes. IJ, GR, Ulysses, Hogg, story of the eye, 120 days, lolita, justine, etc etc are are genrefag books.

Welcome brother, to the fold.
>>
>>7733310
Repairman Jack can be spooky at times
>>
>>7733367
Nobody cares what "e/lit/ists" think, everyone here is a financial pleb
>>
>>7733367
That still doesn't mean there aren't shit tier books, especially in genre literature.
>>
Is Gormenghast a difficult read? What makes it good?
>>
File: mb03_fadrex-webres.jpg (337 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
mb03_fadrex-webres.jpg
337 KB, 800x1200
>>7733163
>I haven't read the book
That's why you like the show. Are you the same guy from the last thread?
>>
Threadly reminder that Discworld is shit and shills need to get the fuck out!
>>
>>7733415
It has a very accessible writing style. A few difficult words are sprinkled on occasion, but they do not impede narrative unless the reader allows them to.

It's sprawling, gothic fantasy, with many examples of stirring an eerie nerve for a readers who are into that.
>>
>>7733444
You have issues.
>>
>>7733455
Spotted the shill.
>>
File: 1378143065999.png (74 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1378143065999.png
74 KB, 625x626
>>7733457
>>
>>7733444

Ok let's assume for the sake of argument that Discworld, a series I doubt you have ever even read, is shit.

What would YOU recommend instead? Genuinely curious.
>>
I like Discworld if for nothing else then that incredibly memorable passage about elves and language. That was brilliant.
>>
>>7733496
Elves are terrific?
>>
>>7733506

Yeah.

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”
>>
>>7733517
To be honest, I couldn't pay attention to the Elves after the wizards showed up and Ridcully started chasing Granny-booty and Ponder almost discovered magnetism, but now that I think about it, wasn't Lords and Ladies a little darker than usual?
>>
>>7733528

It was a bit. The idea where just thinking of Elves gives them an opening into Discworld and how they're creatures who can't comprehend human suffering was pretty grim. But then, a lot of fairytales have dark origins, so it kinda fits.
>>
>>7733535
I was more referring to Magrat killing them so casually, but yeah that too.
>>
>>7733444
>>7733457
Why would anyone bother shilling on /lit/? Most people just pirate ebooks
>>
>>7733646
I use a library! I'm a law abiding and morally upstanding citizen!
>>
I like buying physical books and putting them on my shelf. Especially if they have nice covers. I try to buy physical copies of games too for the boxes.
>>
>>7733706
I used to do that too but my shelf is getting so full I've had to cut down on that.
I also can't get a bigger shelf because it already covers an entire wall and I don't have space for more.
Unless I go upwards.
>>
Anyone else here read/reading Perry Rhodan?
I'm spellbound. This is incredibly entertaining.
>>
>>7733724
Do go on.
>>
>>7733700
That's like arguing you're an african american citizen to a cop. They don't care about that, they just see your skin as black, and beat the shit out of you.

You're on 4chan mate, ur fkd 4 lyfe.
>>
>>7733646
The same reason you publish in journals, to get your name out there.
>>
>>7733729
Oh well, might as well embrace a life of crime now.
>>
>>7733714

My mother was a book packrat, she bought thousands of books, read them once, then threw them on her shelf, then into plastic containers, then just left them around the house. I picked her collection clean of good stuff before I moved out, I think the rest probably went to charity or the library.
>>
>>7733730
I don't think Terry Pratchett is worried about getting his "name out there"
>>
>>7733736
>anyone
You didn't specifically about Pratchett.
>>
>>7733733
I am not giving my books to a charity, that's like throwing money away! Goddamn bums trying to steal my hard-earned collection.
>>
>>7733741
The conversation was about Pratchett.
>>
>>7733728
Well, I don't have much more to say, to be honest.
I was interested in seeing what others had to say about it. It's a very entertaining space opera, as far as I'm concerned.
The aliens, the political conflict, the espionage, the general feel of it. It comes together pretty well.
>>
File: The_Steerswoman.jpg (38 KB, 283x475) Image search: [Google]
The_Steerswoman.jpg
38 KB, 283x475
Just finished The Steerswoman.
Caused me to spend more time reading the thread?
I'm thinking about making another list picture, but with a different aim in mind.
>>
File: pratchett.jpg (167 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
pratchett.jpg
167 KB, 2197x1463
>>7734181
>stuffed crocodile
>>
If an already edgy character's last name has symbolic significance but the very sound of it makes them several times edgier, is it worth including in the story?
>>
>>7734601
At that point it dosent even matter, just do it
>>
>>7734601

You should be honest with how the other characters would view the character. Is his edginess funny? Is he annoying? Is he not taken seriously? etc
>>
>>7734601
What's your target market?
>>
>>7734747
I'm not sure I have a target market. Maybe the kind of people who pick apart cartoons and video games for nuggets of literary value?

>>7734619
I was planning on making the other character see him as really hammy, but the style I'm writing it in makes it kind of hard to describe complex character emotions and interactions. It's a very non-verbal style where all dialogue is informed rather than explicit, and the though processes of character are never described in detail

basically, it's written like a myth or fairy tale
>>
>>7734181
>I'm thinking about making another list picture, but with a different aim in mind.
Please do, and keep in mind having Tolkien on it is an auto-fail.
>>
>>7734838
keep in mind that you're full of shit
>>
>>7734838
Tolkien or The Lord of the Rings?
>>
If one were to write a sci fi novel/short story, it takes place in a spaceship, it would require a good knowledge of physics or one can ignore real-life physics at all?
>>
Thoughts on Tigana and The Lions of Al-Rassan?
>>
I'm considering to read the man in the high castle next. Is it any good?
>>
>>7734953
Don't ask us. Cast some stalks and consult the I Ching
>>
>>7734838
>being this edgy
>>
>>7734601
I have a character that progresses from a Mordred figure to a Galahad figure, would naming his mother Morelaine be too obvious?
>>
Is the first law a military epic like Malazan?
>>
File: Conan_usurper[1].jpg (18 KB, 200x340) Image search: [Google]
Conan_usurper[1].jpg
18 KB, 200x340
What about some stories about normal guys beating up wizards and monsters due to being too badass to die?
>>
>>7735078
Lankhmar my friend, it's awesome.
>>
>>7735078
>plot armor my shit up senpai
>>
>>7735087
>Implying Wizards don't have the thickest plot armour available
>Ultra super fucking rare, one in a hundred thousand
>doesn't immediately get shot in the face with a arrow
>>
>>7734994
No, its more like a series of action movies that subtly parody popular fantasy works.
>>
>>7732239
I found them hilarious. Especially the audiobooks, although the narrators voice acting isn't so great in the first one.
>>
>>7732239
PaP is actually meant to be funny.
>>
File: Absolution_Gap_cover_(Amazon).jpg (52 KB, 363x500) Image search: [Google]
Absolution_Gap_cover_(Amazon).jpg
52 KB, 363x500
Wow, Reynolds going full fedora out of no where
>>
>>7735427
>out of no where
In what fucking world didn't you expect that to happen when his publisher is Gollancz?
>>
>>7735503
Its just pretty surprising since there was no indication in the previous books. The cryo monks seemed like nice folks. People say shit like "Oh my god" and "Thank heavens" all the time with no snide derision. He even implies that human beings have a soul when Alien Computer Simulation Dan Sylvest "somehow knows" that his corporeal body is dead.
It just really surprised me.
Also, the whole book should have been more about the masochist queen of the Gnostic Ascension desu.
>>
>>7734832

What's the name?
>>
>>7735562
Maxwell/Max Damon

He's the semi-mortal son of the god of electromagnetism. Because of his heritage, his pupils look the way electrons are drawn in diagrams: blue with – shaped pupils. Since they look like goat eyes everyone thought he was the antichrist so he ended up getting a major superiority complex from it.

The name comes from Clark Maxwell, whose eponymous set of laws describe most of classical electromagnetism, and by extension Maxwell's Demon, a thought experiment created by the same physicist
>>
>>7735598
>Those hostages should have frozen in seconds! This violates the laws of thermodynamics! W-who ARE you?
>The name is Maxwell *lights cigar with a spark* Maxwell Damon.
>>
>>7735598

I think Maxwell Damon would sound better, shortening it to Max is too on-the-nose and it's not like Maxwell is hard to say.
>>
>>7735611
does scifi and fantasy have waifus?
>>
Where do you guys buy your books online? I've been to 4 different local stores and they never carry the books I'm looking for. It took forever to find a copy of Eye of the World and Gardens of the Moon.
>>
>>7735611
Calling yourself Maxwell is silly when you could go by Max, objectively one of the world's best names.
>>
>>7735620

I like Maxwell more. "I don't just Max, I Max Well", see?
>>
>>7735608
Shit man, that reads like a penny arcade comic
>>
>>7735619
Is there anywhere better than Amazon? I mean, the guy's space program sucks but his used booksellers have a lot of $4 books.
>>
>>7735657

No it's actually kind of funny
>>
>>7735619
Amazon unless their store doesn't have it, in which case I check the apple bookstore which never has it

>>7735661
I mean like old penny arcade, back when they still had a few hits
>>
>>7735619

I have a nice local used book store but ebay and amazon are nice if I'm looking for something specific.

It's somewhat rare I buy a brand new book
>>
>>7735620
No it isn't, having a name that isn't glamorous in the context of "Mr" or "Sir" is a terrible idea.
>>
>>7735676
but neither of those affect the title name. Either way it's Mr. Damon
>>
>>7735243
I have no doubt. I'm enjoying it a lot. I simply meant I don't want to go into a downward spiral of Downton Abbey-esque novels because the last time I did something similar, I got sick of the genre and never touched a book on it again.

>>7735234
I'll take your word for it.
>>
Calamity a shit
What the fuck happened to you Brandon Sanderson?!
>>
>>7735920
Same as Rithmatist, it's an offhand idea he phoned in in a month to take a break from Stormlight.
>>
>>7734181
>I'm thinking about making another list picture
This is a lot harder than I thought
>>7734838
Don't worry, he doesn't fit any of my categories.
>>
File: mb03_urteau-webres.jpg (354 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
mb03_urteau-webres.jpg
354 KB, 1200x800
>>7735561
The entire intro/beginning of that book was strange, with the shit going on at the Gnostic Ascension and notAura's wacky SoL adventures.

But then SHIT HAPPENS and you get Remontoire fucking shit up in his invisible one-man death machine, among all sorts of other crazy shit like BRANE THEORY.

Now go read Galactic North.
>>
>>7735920
Lel
>we steelheart now
I suspected it though.

At least Sanderson should put come rape in his books
>>
>>7732122
Gonna second John C. Wright. His favored style (Countdown to Eschaton, Somewhither) is heavily influenced by A.E. van Vogt, and as >>7732276 said he was literally commissioned by van Vogt's estate to write a Null-A novel.

Start with Awake in the Night Land, which is explicitly an homage to Hodgson, with two solid and two excellent short stories. Unlike the other anon, I'd recommend starting with The Golden Age instead of Count to a Trillion. Golden Age is a little bit more tightly constructed than the insanely ambitious Count to a Trillion series.

I've never read his fantasy works.
>>
>>7732242
Until you think it's dumb. 1-4 were pretty good, 5-6 felt weak but I read them out of inertia.
>>
>>7732490
Give it a try then. Early Stephenson though, his flaws are more apparent than in the books you named.
>>
>>7736422
I don't think he's shown as much raw imagination anywhere as much as he did in Diamond Age, though that might be nostalgia speaking. Late Stephenson is a different animal. I wish he was still as savage as when he was a punk, but he's so incredibly well-read now. I even read Anathem twice.
>>
>>7736422

Please don't encourage anyone to read Snow Crash.

It's the worst book I've read in my adult life.
>>
>>7736620
That's because you're supposed to become a teenager while you're reading it.
>>
>>7736622

Please don't recommend that book to preteens.
>>
>>7736623
I meant become a teenager in your mind, I wasn't suggesting you make someone a woman with it, geeze.
>>
>>7736627

Just don't suggest that anyone read it.

That book is every holds-up-spork meme + reddit + autist running-with-arms-behind-them mall ninja
>>
>>7736651
Yeah, in the same way LotR is every D&D campaign-based fantasy-with-a-map. You have to purge the last two decades from your mind while you read it. I'm not saying you take it seriously, I'm just saying Hiro boarding a carrier with a backpack railgun was kinda cool.
>>
>>7735613
Duh, of course it does. Everything has waifus in it. Brawne Lamia is my sci-fu.
>>
>>7736620
>It's the worst book I've read in my adult life.
I never read snow crash, but I'm sure it can't be worse than Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.
>>
>>7737267

Can't be worse than the Terra Incognita Trilogy.
>>
>>7733646
Occasionally, people do make threads and shill their booktuber channel/ book on here.
>>
>>7737408
I doubt Terry Pratchett's ghost came in here to do that though.
>>
>>7737420
Maybe the benefactor of his estate?
>>
File: tea-with-mice.jpg (164 KB, 435x516) Image search: [Google]
tea-with-mice.jpg
164 KB, 435x516
>>7737420
I dunno, if the internet had been around when he was younger I feel like he'd have been quite the shitposter.
>>
I want to get into wolfe. What's a good place to start?
>>
>>7738151
I liked The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories, that seems as good a place as any.
>>
>>7738151
Pre-Socratics.
>>
>>7738151
The Knight
>>
>>7735084
Lankhmar is shit, I don't even understand what's going on half the time
>>
>>7737891
>you will never banter on Usenet with anonymous Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams
>>
>>7738283
>Implying Usenet wasn't fucking terrible
It was seriously like 95% spam even with filters.
>>
Where the fuck do I start with Moorcock?
>>
>>7738412
Lick the tip.
>>
>>7738412
You don't, Moorcock is a meme author.
http://bondwine.com/2006/07/02/moorcock-saruman-and-the-dragons-tail/

Or if you reeeeally want to, first Elric book. Warning: Very formulaic.
>OMG gonna have to kill another friend with Stormbringer lol
>>
File: gene wolfe chart1.jpg (2 MB, 2264x3280) Image search: [Google]
gene wolfe chart1.jpg
2 MB, 2264x3280
>>7738271
It's fucking straitforward with everything
>>7738151
Here is a chart from your favourite wolfeposter
>>
Just read pic related. Really enjoyed it, especially towards the end. Anyone have reccs for similar vibe/feel?
>>
>>7738722
You mean straiforward old pulp? Lankhmar would be my rec. It's fantasy, but as an adventure story it's as good as they come.
>>
>>7738722
Hyperion, for real. Very similar vibes.
>>
>>7738729
>>7738730
thanks guys
>>
>>7738545
>Linking to a christfag who champions john c wright
I tip my fedora to thee.
>>
>>7739081
>>7738545
I loved the first Elric and it does go downhill from there, but this is a great article.
>>
>>7739123
I haven't read Moorcock or Tolkein, but the guy mentioned Chesterton and my suspicions were immediately raised.
>>
>>7739211
Chesterton is a fantastic author and it should only point out that the man has a good taste in literature and essays.
>>
What are some less "dense" fantasy books? You know, as opposed to the ones that have 5 pages long descriptions of how nicely the rain is pouring down the roofs.
>>
>>7739286

Druss the Legend
Conan series
>>
>>7739277
Counterpoint: John Wright, the most tasteless man alive, also likes Chesterton.
>>
>>7739307
Hi conanfag, i see you are still in the thread.
>>
>>7739326

I don't know who that is or why you seem to think Conan isn't an appropriate suggestion for Anon's question.
>>
>>7739323
I know little about him or his writing, but his taste in literature is just fine.
>>
>>7739326
That would be me.
>>
>>7739332
Read last thread
A guys was dildoing his ass while waxing poetic about conan.
>>
>>7739360

Doesn't seem like a good use of my time. Anyway you shouldn't let random internet people dictate your tastes, especially about popular series that have been around for 80 years.
>>
>>7739360
That's not what I did, though. At least not the poetic part.
>>
File: 1428331738809.jpg (71 KB, 630x419) Image search: [Google]
1428331738809.jpg
71 KB, 630x419
>>7731613
>currently reading
11/22/63 (probably not related to the thread) and Starship troopers
I'm new to /lit/, didn't even knew these threads existed.
by lurking more
>>
Just finished calamity.
Wtf Sanderson and yes i mad.

You were supposed to kill them, not join them.
>>
>>7735619
Amazon/marketplace for English books, really no other choice in my country.
>>
>>7738151
the mouth. the anus if you're adventurous.
>>
File: WoR_FASHION-AZIR_v02_fmt.jpg (193 KB, 1357x2048) Image search: [Google]
WoR_FASHION-AZIR_v02_fmt.jpg
193 KB, 1357x2048
>>7739787
kek is that how that whole series ended?
>now you ARE the demons

He announced some sequel trilogy in an alternate dimension.
>>
Alright SFF, I finished my list.
These are not necessarily recommendations. They are merely books I may have read recently enough to organize into amusing (to me) categories. I am calling it the /lit/SFF Pinata. Do you feel lucky?
http://imgur.com/FaU8eYs
>>
>>7740240

Is Hestia bestia?
>>
>>7740256
It's pretty short, but anything by Cherryh is worth reading. The other two books are multiple volume series.
>>
I've been working on a story and setting for a soft sci-fi/science fantady space opera in my head for at least half a year by now, but I've neen having trouble getting it on paper. What do?
>>
>>7740309

It's not going to get any easier, just write. You can piece it together or rewrite later.
>>
>>7740256
I probably should have added sensational captions...
That category would be "Hot Centaur Action", "Muh Catgirl Waifu Feels", and "In a Committed Relationship with Ebony Giantess Assassin".
>>
>>7740431

If you put it that way then centaurs and ebony giantess assassin sound way better
>>
>>7740240
Can you order them in order of how much you like them?
>>
>>7740439
What, the whole list?
>>
>>7740240

I ordered a copy of well of souls, lets see how hot theses centaurs really are.
>>
>>7740462
Just your top ones.
>>
File: Seveneves_Book_Cover.jpg (13 KB, 257x386) Image search: [Google]
Seveneves_Book_Cover.jpg
13 KB, 257x386
Why can't more science fiction have stories and characters like fantasy? I'm not saying that hard science fiction doesn't have a place, but it gets boring.

Anyone have anything like Interstellar? Launching off into the unknown, desperately, with a strong cast of characters and a great plot? The last thing like that I read was Seveneves.
>>
>>7740495
Well, favorites from each category (listed in order of approval ish) are:
Foreigner
The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat
The Princess of the Flames
Federation World
Forty Thousand in Gehenna
Forerunner

I didn't really care for Soulstring or Operation Exile.

Honestly it's hard to judge these as I've only read them once (excepting Cherryh's and The Stainless Steel Rat)

The Stainless Steel Rat is probably the easiest to get in to, so I'd feel good making it a general recommendation.
>>
>>7740539
Thanks anon.
>>
>>7740469
Good luck :3
>>
>>7740499
>Why can't more science fiction have stories and characters like fantasy?
You just need to read more science fiction. I recommend John Barnes. The Jak Jinnaka trilogy never gets mentioned anywhere but it's absolutely charming.
>>
>>7740563
I'll give it a read, but I really like end of the world, desperate science fiction. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>7740437
It depends on what you want out of it. Foreigner is at 16 books and growing. It's focus is on political intrigue and human-alien cultural integration.
Hestia is a short tale about a civil engineer and the primitive savage catgirl who learns to love him.
Well of Souls is about forced transformation, discovery, and the highest alien diversity per square mile. That's just the first book. I haven't read the rest yet.
>>
I'm thinking of picking up Malazan.

I keep hearing about how insanely complex and hard to follow the entire series is though. Is this the sort of thing where I should take notes to keep all the characters, events and relationships straight like in Wheel of Time? Or is it just hard to follow because things aren't explained until later, if at all, like Book of the New Sun?
>>
>>7740905
>I'm thinking of picking up Malazan.
Don't
>I keep hearing about how insanely complex and hard to follow the entire series is though.
Yes, but because the author can't write, not because of his skill as a writer. He just skips all exposition and tells the story expecting you reae his wiki. Later on it's easy to follow because you get a hang of the setting and that's it. It's hard for plebs basically.
>Is this the sort of thing where I should take notes to keep all the characters, events and relationships straight like in Wheel of Time?
I didn't finish the series and found it necessary, not because of the number of characters, but because he can't write different tones of speech or give personality to the words spoken like say Dostoevsky who has tons of characters, but you always know whose in which relationship with whom due to much better characterization.
>Or is it just hard to follow because things aren't explained until later, if at all, like Book of the New Sun?
He's just awful at exposition. He doesn't take the le world building meme and just gives exposition and he doesn't take the well written route where it's exposed naturally with the flow of the story
>>
File: conanfrazz.jpg (448 KB, 1032x1427) Image search: [Google]
conanfrazz.jpg
448 KB, 1032x1427
>>7739346
Out of all fags, a Conanfag's a pretty good fag to be.
>>
>>7740917

So it's like a Tomino anime? How's the dialogue?
>>
>>7740917
So what you're saying is I should take notes for characters and their relationships. Thanks for the help.

Anyone who has read the whole thing care to comment?
>>
>>7741032
Like all modern mass market fantasy, terrible.
>>
>>7741055

Gimme a sample, baby. I want to hear it from your lips.
>>
>>7741063
You want a sample of what? If you want quotes google them.
>>
>>7741066

Read it out loud!
>>
I'm a crook, a criminal a villain
Whatcha gonna do about it son
>>
>>7740240
>by a woman
Would you take a kissless 26 year old virgin's Vcard?
>>
>>7741039
I enjoyed it somewhat, it's just that Erickson isn't a "hold your hand all of the way" type author.

The first book you are just dropped into the middle of things, it's only near the end that things make sense. A few books in you get used to his style.

Also I didn't read his wiki, yet I completed his series and understood what took place.
That other anon admits he didn't finish it, and had to read the wiki, he probably likes to be spoonfed, if you also love being spoonfed Malazan is not for you.
>>
>>7741245
I made it through BotNS and loved that, so I'm okay with things not making sense. So long as I can tell characters and places apart
>>
>>7741250
That's what I said before, Malazan is nothing like the New Sun. Wolfe reveals things in a planned and gradual way to enhance mystery and themes and to make sure you revisit it. Malazan just says fuck exposition as a thing and bam, plot starts and you can only tell the difference because of a different name.
>>
>>7741257
You did read the OP right? If your posts devolve into /v/ shit, we will report you.

There is already a /v/ thread up, go there if you have the intention to speak of games.
>>
>>7741272
I'm not discussing the game. I want legal advice.
>>
>>7741281
It requires the game since you are talking about its themes.
>>
>>7741320
But still, it's not like I'm straight up discussing the game, or using a thinly veiled request to discuss the game. I'm asking if it would be legally viable for me to write a sci-fi novel with the same themes as the game.
>>
>>7741332
Yes. Themes aren't copyrighted.
>>
>>7741207
Post pictures of young female fantasy authors and then I can answer you.
>>
>>7741335
What about characters though?
>>
>>7741337
Are you that poor of a writer that you want literal fan fiction?
>>
>>7741341
It worked for the guy that wrote 50 Shades.
>>
>>7741348
It's a woman and I'm not sure if that's what you want.
>>
>>7741337

As long as you change the names and the setpieces you can get away with it, sure.

The problem is it's creatively bankrupt and you should try to make the story your own thing. Change the characters and change the plot device, even minorly, just don't ape it wholesale like an unthinking pig.
>>
>>7741350
He's making a reference from that show
>>
>>7741336
I made pic related, does this at least get me some cuddle time?(we can progress from there.)
http://imgur.com/oPLOaVO
>>
>>7741517
Wait, you were talking about yourself?
I'm not a manslut, depends if we like each other or not.
>>
>>7741530
Your pic said by a woman, I assumed that you were female. Was I wrong?

I heard there are men who like to take virginities, why isn't the same apply to women?
>>
>>7741550
If your standards aren't high you can get one of those dating/chat apps. Plenty of ratchet girls who'd be willing to pop your cherry.
>>
>>7741554
>giving my valuable Vcard to some non reading std ridden whatsapp hoe
>current year
>>
>>7741561
>beggers
>being choosers
>>
>>7741550
I thought you were female. Glad this didn't happen in real life.
>>
I picked up The Sword of Shannara the other day, what am I in for? Seems like the most Tolkien derivative fantasy ever and a mash up of ever cliche JRPG imaginable.
>>
>>7741577
Serious question, are there any females in this thread?
>>
>>7741550
Greeting, I posted the list, previous anons are not me. "by a woman" means that the author is female, sorry :(
>>
>>7741603
That's exactly what you are getting.
>>7741610
Statistically, probably
>>
File: 123.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hey,

after finishing The Providence of Fire (Emperor's Blades), I got some new reading material since book 3 isn't out yet.

Which book should I start with, given that I will most likely take a break from it in about 3 weeks when the last installment of Emperor's Blades arrives?

PS: what are the benefits from preordering books on amazon? Are there any?
>>
>>7741893
Slight discount plus you read it sooner.
>>
I've just read Breach by Patrick Lee and holy shit was it some lazy writing. Nil characterization, zero effort at resolving gridlocks, but at least the plot and the setting is something between STALKER and Xcom at times.

He has his moments but then stoops to Jonathan Maberry level hacking at the narrative. I think I'll try some other low level genre fiction writer next instead of continuing with this series.
>>
>>7731613

In a mood for some oldschool fantasy.

I've got it narrowed down to Terry Brooks and Raymond E. Feist. Any advices on where to start and with whom?
>>
>>7739326
I'm a conanfag as well and I will shill it till the bitter end.
>>
>>7732464
All three are quite good, I'd say Count Zero is better than Neuromancer but the first one is of course the most distinct. Avoid Gibson like the plague after that.
>>
>>7732464
Neuromancer is a fun cheesy ride. Cyber City Oedo 808 (all three episodes really) and then later Ghost in the Shell borrows a lot from it, so watch those if you want a feel for what it's like.

Cyberpunk is just slick detective noir with a computer and internet veneer. Entertaining pulp.
>>
>>7740334

If there is anything that I want to have in my hands, it's this 'book'.
>>
>>7741940
I would argue that Ghost in the Shell 1995 is much more, but the rest of it, yeah.
>>
>>7741937
>Avoid Gibson like the plague after that.
>not just read Johnny Mnemonic and avoid Gibson like the plague after that
>>
>>7741970
>watching
>>
>>7741975
Who said anything about watching?
>>
>>7741916
I like Terry Brooks, but the first 6 or 9 Shannara books stick pretty close to the same formula. Go with Feist and start at the beginning with Magician.
>>
>>7742111

Done. Thanks for advice.
>>
Opinions on Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series?
>>
>>7742436
The city in book 1 was nice imo. Built on "alien" ruins, and how it runs itself.
Enjoyable books.
>>
>>7734899
Tigana's is great. Haven't read lions yet.
>>
>>7736651
I read it as a parody and enjoyed it. the main character is named Hiro Protagonist and wears a trench coat while wielding a katana hacking the web by fighting in a digital mmo with his real life kendo skills. It was showcasing the rediculousness of cyberpunk and anime (which was pretty new to the west at the time and was being held up on a pedestal by self proclaimed "cultured" nerds). The fact that it still parodies modem cyberpunk and anime so well is telling.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.