[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is /lit/'s opinion on Rabelais?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: rabby.jpg (544 KB, 1574x1947) Image search: [Google]
rabby.jpg
544 KB, 1574x1947
what is /lit/'s opinion on Rabelais?
>>
Steven King tier
>>
>>7731487
okay. why?
>>
>>7731487
no reasons?

anyone?
>>
so, it's safe to assume none of you have read anything by him?

i can't wait to brag about it later.
>>
>>7731475

gargantua and pantagruel is canon classic god tier

alto capo
>>
>>7731475
As satire goes, his can be too much of a good thing in sublime bad taste and epic digressions, which I find very difficult to sustain. There is one thing at which he was insanely great, and that is the aptitude for lists that take digression to its limit in variety of language and image. They are as unwieldy to memory as they are enjoyable to revisit in print. I have attempted things like them from time to time, but at my most energetic have never come close, lacking his enormous thrust when inflamed by a binge.
>>
>>7731600
ooh, god tier eh? any other god tier shit?
>>
>>7731563
I've read him. Too much potty humor for me. I did not enjoy it.
>>
>>7731615
so, god tier potty humor? Rabelais is basically Joyce then?
>>
>>7731626
Uhhh I guess? I don't really like potty humour and I thought it was kind of stupid desu.
>>
Incredibly rich and dense work, with the notable quality of being hilarious. Pantagruel & Gargantua definitly deserve their place among the greatest pieces of the western canon.
>>
>>7731676
(continuing)

One of his admirable qualities has been to naturally mix popular & humanist culture. His works are refined and extravagant at the same time. Feels like a strong breath of fresh air compared to nitpicky literature.
>>
>>7731676
>>7731712
sounds pretty damn good. i'm excited to start reading him. just a simple aside, is there any adventure, really?
>>
>>7731721
Yes there are many things going on in his books.

Also if you want to read about Rabelais, pick up Mikhail Bakhtine.
>>
>>7731747

>pick up Mikhail Bakhtine.

Listen to this anon, m8.
>>
>>7731747
>Mikhail Bakhtine
ah, i've heard a bit about him, one of the greatest russian literary critics to ever exist, right?
>>
no, wait, i'm thinking of belinsky. still, i know i've heard Bakhtine before a few times.
>>
>>7731777
>one of the greatest russian literary critics to ever exist, right?

I can't tell because I haven't read many russian critics, but "Rabelais and His World" is definitly woth reading.
>>
>>7731800
(cont)

he's definitly well known though, if that's what you meant.
>>
Unsurprisingly this has less posts than the daily DFW thread.
>>
>>7733456
unsurprisingly this post has just as much swarminess as the daily DFW threads. great contribution
>>
>>7731475
CHEVRE auteur, pour estre honneste
>>
>>7731475
Haven't read all of G&P but there's one story in it he tells about this hyper-rich Roman noble who went out on the streets of Rome taking his retainers with him and massive amounts of cash. This noble would then go looking for the poshest/richest looking guy he could find and walk up to him and punch him viciously in the face. To stop the guy from doing the Roman equivalent of calling the police he would keep giving him money until he agreed not to. I enjoyed that story.

The skit about what is the best way to wipe your ass is also God-tier comedy.
>>
>>7733467
I've contributed before in this thread anon (Bakthine & all)
>>
>>7733467
>unsurprisingly this post has just as much swarminess as the daily DFW threads. great contribution

Ironically, this in itself is a swarmy post. Great contribution.
>>
>>7733511
Unironically, you made the most vapid post. Great contribution.
>>
>>7733539
I wanted to join this chain but then I wanted not to be vapid as well, 10/10 blog post would type again, there is a way out my dear friends
>>
File: How I feel on the inside now.jpg (15 KB, 635x414) Image search: [Google]
How I feel on the inside now.jpg
15 KB, 635x414
>>7733539
>>
oh you guys i love you so much.
>>
File: gargantua translations.jpg (2 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
gargantua translations.jpg
2 MB, 2000x2000
I made this once, re: >reading translations
>>
One of the best (especially when you consider the time-period in which he was writing). He was also a huge influence on Alfred Jarry. Read The Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustroll, Pataphysician if you haven't.
>>
>>7734715
i went with the penguin. i'm not too worried.
>>
>>7731475
Third book best book btw
>>
>>7735957

of course

alto capo
>>
>>7734744
penguin is the best translation, as usual
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.