[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General Book Queries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: Aristotle.jpg (75 KB, 570x691) Image search: [Google]
Aristotle.jpg
75 KB, 570x691
I hate to start a new thread about this but I need to know -- a bookstore next to where I work is selling the two volume set of Aristotle from the Britannica Great Books series for next to nothing. Are these the unabridged, complete works of Aristotle? I've looked online (and my Google-fu is strong) but can't seem to find the answer.

Also anyone with a general question about books can drop a response. Thanks!
>>
Even if they are they will not be very good translations and they are worth about next to nothing individually. Maybe 10 dollars each.
>>
>>7731079

>The Great Books series reprints the works of Aristotle in the standard English translations, licensed from Oxford University Press.

From what I can find it's all the known works, so you should be ok there.

This took me literally less than 10 seconds to find, so....fuck you, OP.

Logic treatises (Organon):
Categories, translated by E.M. Edghill
Prior Analytics, translated by A.J. Jenkinson
Posterior Analytics, translated by G.R.G. Mure
Topics, translated by W. A. Pickard-Cambridge
On Sophistical Refutations, translated by W. A. Pickard-Cambridge

Physical Treatises:
Physics, translated by R.P. Hardie and R.K. Gaye
On the Heavens, translated by J. L. Stocks
On Generation and Corruption (Sometimes called, "On Coming to be and passing away"), translated by H. H. Joachim
Meteorology, translated by E. W. Webster

Metaphysics, translated by W. D. Ross

On the Soul, translated by J. A. Smith

Short Physical Treatises (Parva Naturalia):
On Sense and the Sensible, translated by J.I. Beare
On Memory and Reminiscence, translated by J.I. Beare
On Sleep and Sleeplessness, translated by J.I. Beare
On Dreams, translated by J.I. Beare
On Prophesying by Dreams, translated by J.I. Beare
On Longevity and Shortness of Life, translated by G.R.T. Ross
On Youth and Old Age, On Life and Death, On Breathing, translated by G.R.T. Ross

Volume 2:

BIOLOGICAL TREATISES: History of Animals, translated by D'Arcy Wentworth Thompson
On the Parts of Animals, translated by William Ogle
On the Motion of Animals, translated by A. S. L. Farquharson;
On the Generation o Animals, translated by Arthur Platt.

ETHICAL AND POLITICAL WORKS: Nicomachean Ethics, translated by W. D. Ross;
Politics, translated by Benjamin Jowett;
The Athenian Constitution, translated by Sir Frederic G. Kenyon;
Rhetoric, translated by W. Rhys Roberts;
On Poetics, translated by Ingram Bywater.

The Oxford University Press edition of the Works of Aristotle is edited by W. D. Ross.
>>
>>7731148

I searched for more than ten seconds, but I accept your 'fuck you OP' and thank you for your service.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.