[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
antonym
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: nous.png (9 KB, 906x514) Image search: [Google]
nous.png
9 KB, 906x514
nym it
>>
beta
>>
sub

metadata <> subdata
>>
>>7729723
mundane
>>
Unconscious
>>
casual
>>
self-contained, in full

>>7729744
basically this
>>
noumenon
>>
Non-meta.
>>
>>7729744
/thread
>>
before you start with the greeks, you need to start with the greek ;^)

>>7729744
closest you'll get in english, but it still doesn't hold up (part of the problem is meta is usually a suffix and also been mistranslated a bit)
>>
>>7729801
*prefix
fug
>>
>>7729744
Wong: the antonym of 'sub' is 'super'.
Try again.
>>
>>7729849
I don't care what Wong has to say on the matter, and frankly, I would question his literary authority on most topics
>>
>>7729868
I like Wong, his mom cooks nice bbq chicken.
>>
Intra? Sort of?

Meta is to intra
;
as neo is to _____?
>>
object language
>>
>>7729723

macro:micro::meta:mito
obviously
>>
Depersonalized
>>
>>7729849
>thinks everything only has one antonym

It's all about the meaning pleb.
Meta means "of a higher level"
Sub means "on a lower level"

Anyone with some brains would tell you that they are in fact antonyms.

Get on my level.
>>
"before"
meta means after
>>
>>7729944
so, proto?
>>
>>7730001
yes
>>
>>7729723
mato

as in Tomato
>>
>>7729944
This anon gets it. Meta (μετά) means after, so the antonym would be the equivalent of before. That would be pro (προ). In English though, meta- as prefix is used to mean beyond, outside of but tangential to. Not sure what the antonym of that would be.
>>
>>7729723
Redditdata
>>
>>7729915
inter is the antonym of intra you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>7729723
literal
>>
>>7729723
infra obviously
>>
>>7729723
meti

Seems obvious desu
>>
>>7729915
Paleo
>>
>>7730483
:)
>>
>>7729915
Paleo
>>
intra
>>
>>7730472
This is wrong.
>>
okay just talked to my darling yiayia
she gave me a list of the main prefixes ("protheisis") in greek

>ana
>kata
>thia
>meta
>anti
>anphi
>apo
>epi
>yper

the opposite of meta is prin.
in english, meta is translated closer to 'beyond', rather than its original meaning of 'after'
hence 'prin' being most literally correct
as for english: other attempts posted here are indeed close in appropriating an opposite meaning for 'beyond' (eg: proto, sub, etc)
but ultimately the answer to this troll thread (reminds me of those order of operations ones back in the day on /b/ lol) is indeed prin
thanks for playing guys
>>
>>7733238

This is fine for μετα in the temporal sense, but as the prefix is used so often today--metafiction, metadata, meta-analysis, metastudy--often has primarily an abstracted, self-reflective aspect instead.

Something that doesn't show this self-reflectiveness is basically the thing itself. It seems to me that the antonym of the μετα prefix is simply the absence of a prefix.
>>
>>7733238
Your giagia has got alzheimers. It's "pro-", not "prin-" ("pre-" in english), and it's not the opposite of "meta-".
>>
>>7733286
Prin is modern Greek desu
Not him just a native greek
>>
>>7733584
Name one modern Greek word with the "prin-" prefix.
>>
>>7733238

The opposite of μετά is πριν (in modern Greek) only when the word is isolated. We are discussing μετά- as prefix and its antonym is προ-, as per the word you just quoted (incorrectly): προθέσεις (Sing. πρόθεση. Incidentally, this word means preposition, among other things. Prefix is πρόθεμα).

More to the point, we are not discussing the prefix in Greek but the prefix meta- as used in English and what its antonym might be, to which the correct answer is none, as already pointed by one of my esteemed colleagues posting above.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.