[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is being a narcissist a requirement to be a writer? To be able
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: bagel cat.jpg (129 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
bagel cat.jpg
129 KB, 660x495
Is being a narcissist a requirement to be a writer?

To be able to write down a lot of words - just solidifying ideas and images you have, and to ask other people to look at them despite not having an objective measure of assessing their actual value like with other professions
>>
Post more things like that picture, OP.
>>
>Is being a narcissist a requirement to be a writer?
its a requirement of a good artist
also reminder that passion is inherently selfish
>>
No that's generally what makes a bad writer or artist.

All good art and writing is genuine and comes from a place that feels true to the creator.

All bad art is exactly what you described. By your logic the most annoying hipster or instagram girl on the planet would be the greatest artist. No, the fact those scenes are intellectually false and only self-endorsement platforms and product placement is transparent, and that's why it's hated.

Good authors tend to have lived through some terrible times, and write a somewhat first hand experience of what it was like. They give you a sense of realism. As you grow older and experience loss and love and your own personal tragedies, you come back to these great works of literature and find in an old friend new shared experiences and comfort in the solidarity of life, its many trials and tribulations.

I mean, if you haven't figured this out by the time you're 13-14, you'll probably never GET it.
>>
>>7729757
penis
>>
Narcissism is what makes terrible artists. A great deal of empathy for the suffering of others and reconciling that with one's own helps the artist shape a work that speaks to loftier, even universal concepts beyond him/herself.

A narcissist is only capable of preaching (cf. Atlas Shrugged) or producing masturbatory style over substance (cf. John Green), or both (cf. slam poetry).

Good art comes from a heartfelt place and genuine desire to share it with others.
>>
P much. The act of making something like an artwork - something that society doesn't really value - and then thinking that it is valuable because you value it is a profoundly selfish, self-aggrandizing act.

>>7730998
It's true that you need to have a sense for the human condition to make good art but if you actually wanted to share something with people, you'd be best off sharing with them something they want.
>>
>>7730998
Wouldnt there be an element of narcissism though?
To believe any of what you write down is somehow important?
Would you call it egotism or something else?
>>
>>7731034
I find it funny that you equate confidence or self-interest with self-centeredness.
>>
>>7731068
wow *finsds out new thing aboutu self* *moment of self disvcery * *finding who i am* *learning experince*
>>
No, writing something for an audience is not "narcissistic". You're not asking people to look at it, you're inviting people to look at it. Its up to them whether or not they do.
>>
>>7731034

You're saying that a person having an idea, putting it down and then sharing it is "an over inflated sense of self importance". There's an ocean of difference between communicating an idea and believing that you are more deserving or important than someone else with no basis.
>>
>>7731106
But most people dont write books if they want to communicate an idea
Most people are perfectly happy to accept they have nothing interesting to say
Publishing a book is an acknowledgement of a feeling of self belief over other people
If you didnt believe you were more deserving then why write a book?
>>
>>7731083
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7731117
>implying that to write a book one must have 'something to say'
>>
>>7729757
No, OP asks if narcissism is a necessary condition for an artist to be great; not a sufficient condition. While it may be true, it is not enough to make an artist great. Hipsters on instagram are pricks, but they do not meet other requirements.
That's the OP's logic. At least that's what I understood.
>>
>>7731117

Most people do not write books because they either don't want to or feel they don't have the talent. Publishing a book is a feeling of self belief, and if you have gotten published in the first place then that self belief is usually justified, but where you are getting the idea that it is done soley for the purpose of being superior to other people in one way or another I don't know.

I think you have a skewed view of individuals and how they express themselves. Or, more likely, you're just being argumentative for no reason.
>>
>>7731128

Holy shit dude. Are you fucking euphoric right now? In this exact moment do you feel euphoric. I know I'm suffering from massive second hand embarrassment because you think this is a OK way to talk to people that have a different opinion from your own. Grow. The. Fuck. Up
>>
>>7731150
>>7731128
>>7731083
What worthless shitposts.
>>
>>7731161
You lead VERY very BORING SAD existences and YOU ARE ALL CONTROLLED by OTHER PEOPLE

The WRONG PEOPLE for your needs and you'll do it over and over and over and OVER AGAIN and NEVER satisfied and that is like any form of SELF ABUSE ++++++++++++

And YOU have let that happen yourselves by leaving it all to "someone else" and then you try to BLAME all those "someone elses" when it is really YOU TO BLAME for your lot

NOBODY ELSE YOU so take responsibility and either change or SHUT UP about it all

YOU are as happy as YOU CHOOSE to be -- GO and spend a day in SYRIA or IRAQ you dont mind INVADING those places so GO and LIVE THERE

THEN come here and tell us about YOUR LOT ???

ALWAYS crying and moaning and yet YOU have FAR MORE than most ordinary people could ever have or wish for STILL MOANING SEEKING something to MOAN ABOUT- daily then try to BLAME OTHERS for what you find

GOOD.

BE UNHAPPY who cares ?

NOBODY ATTACKED YOU !

YOU INVADED THEM !!!!!!!!!!! on say so of SOMEONE ELSE ++++++++++++++++++++++++

Get over it.
>>
>>7731117
do you view reading a book as the reader being submissive to an arrogant author? probably not. some people just like to express themselves, and then other people read their books and watch their movies or their whatever, because they want to see the world through someones else eyes for a few minutes.
>>
File: 1455056456042.png (146 KB, 1144x1010) Image search: [Google]
1455056456042.png
146 KB, 1144x1010
>>7731179
le moralfag is moral
>>
File: dawkins.jpg (120 KB, 380x613) Image search: [Google]
dawkins.jpg
120 KB, 380x613
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.