[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know how can you talk about Nietzsche, Homer or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 67b.jpg (71 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
67b.jpg
71 KB, 600x450
I don't know how can you talk about Nietzsche, Homer or Shakespeare as if they were sudoku puzzles. Do you even think about the gravity and implications for your own life as you read? Or do you just finish the book and file it away as another "patrish" reference to throw around?
I've spent the last two weeks reading Homer, Attic tragedy and Nietzsche and now most of the time I feel like I'm about to fucking puke.
>>
>I've spent the last two weeks reading Homer, Attic tragedy and Nietzsche and now most of the time I feel like I'm about to fucking puke.
i know this feel senpai.
>>
Why do you feel that way? Because it's boring, or what?
>>
no idea what you're trying to say desu
>>
>>7728948
> Do you even think about the gravity and implications for your own life as you read?

SJW tard spotted! Abandon thread!
>>
>>7729017
existential nausea
>>
>>7729049
Chances are you felt that way before you read it.
>>
>>7728948
>Or do you just finish the book and file it away as another "patrish" reference to throw around?
yes
>>
>>7728948
Reading the birth of tragedy now and its actually pretty bad
Nietzsche wasn't that much of a writer than a thinker, huh?
>>
>>7729062
Yeah, but probably subconsciously repressed it.
It's always there...
>>
What the fuck are you talking about?

Homer teaches you the joys of war and brotherhood.

Shakespeare teaches you the joys of laughter and smelling a woman's feet.

Nietzsche teaches you that in isolation a broken man breaks even further, and only society can fix him. (He does this by omission)

How are you feeling sad about any of this? Go be around people, smell a cute girl's feet, and share in the bond of brotherhood you have with your fellow man by doing small acts of kindness like liberating syria iraq or afghanistan after you join the mobile infantry division of the greatest military force on the planet, huurah!
>>
>>7729347
>How are you feeling sad about any of this? Go be around people, smell a cute girl's feet, and share in the bond of brotherhood you have with your fellow man by doing small acts of kindness like liberating syria iraq or afghanistan after you join the mobile infantry division of the greatest military force on the planet, huurah!
maybe it's about the feeling of missing out or being too incompetent socially or just the general feeling of insignificance.
>>
>>7728948
I only read Nietzsche to impress college and intellectual-type qt girls.

Also pseudo-profound sentimentalist detected.
>>
>>7728948
Is your astrological sign scorpio or pisces? 'cause you sound like a faggot.
>>
>>7728948
I'm conflicted about this. On the one hand, I have this "omg what is this doing to me" feeling, and on the other hand this "yeah another fucker giving his take on how to live your life". I only had the first undivided feeling while reading The Gay Science at 16-17. Maybe it was because I hadn't read much else, or because I wasn't trying to intellectualize it within the broader context of philosophy.
>>
>>7729824
Are you me? I can't get myself to finish The Gay Science! It's just too visceral. It makes me happy, drunk, then scared. I want to look away from it like girl watching a horror movie.
>>
>>7728948
>Or do you just finish the book and file it away as another "patrish" reference to throw around?

Obviously. The whole point of reading is to be able to make patrish references and acquire social capital by appearing to be a cultured, well-read intellectual.
>>
>>7729347
what if I literally can't join the military though.
>>
>>7729158
What's bad about it? It can be a bit over the top, especially with his proclamations of "what the Greeks much have thought" but otherwise it's quite solid and accurately describes the relationship between, and purpose of, tragedy and Art music.
>>
>>7729845
>acquire social capital
top kek
>>
What I read actually impacts me. I think eternal recurrence is the scariest shit I've ever heard because I know in my heart it would be hell and all I can try to do is salvage the second half of my life.
I've moved out of my country away from everyone I know so that even if I fail at least I tried and lived instead of sitting comfortably forever.
>>
>>7729158
I always thought the opposite. Not so much TBOT but his other works-- I love the prose (thinking especially Thus Spoke zarathustra, Ecce Homo, beyond good and evil & twilight of the idols).

also, I don't really "learn" anything from Shakespeare or Homer. I kinda read them for entertainment purposes. I like good art at face value, philosophy is for philosophy.
>>
>>7733162
>"learn"
Good, doing so from either would be a sign that they are inferior, weak works, or that you have a tendency to over moralise.

Having said that, holy shit, I've suddenly gained the ability to actually understand Shakespeare and blank verse in general all of a sudden, where I couldn't before. He's gone from utterly incomprehensible garbage to a complete dramatic delight, just reading through the opening scene of Hamlet
>>
>>7729347
>Nietzsche teaches you that in isolation a broken man breaks even further, and only society can fix him. (He does this by omission)
terrible, undergrad whom just discovered doctor freud, tier reading, my man. just awful
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.