[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books that are better in translation.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: 71O-+Ik25xL.jpg (216 KB, 864x1305) Image search: [Google]
71O-+Ik25xL.jpg
216 KB, 864x1305
Books that are better in translation.
>>
you monster
>>
i have the same edition. is it considered a good translation? the book is too hard for me
>>
>>7728736
It's considered better than the original, that's how good it is.

Plus Joyce had a hard-on for Italy (yes, even more than farts). I'm pretty sure his kids learned Italian before they learned English.
>>
Dostoevsky by Garnett
>>
File: asterix_by_cruzazul-d5hcvwp.png (212 KB, 900x811) Image search: [Google]
asterix_by_cruzazul-d5hcvwp.png
212 KB, 900x811
>>7728732
Asterix series, Translated into English by Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge

Alea jacta est.
>>
>>7728747

that's true, his daughter learned italian.

god dammit. i feel robbed. who translated it?
>>
>>7728732
I heard the german translation of Infinite Jest is really good. Haven't read it though. Nor have I read the original.

>>7728761
German Asterix is really great aswell, but I cannot imagine any translation of it being better than the original.
>>
File: 85016_gg.jpg (46 KB, 421x650) Image search: [Google]
85016_gg.jpg
46 KB, 421x650
>>7728732
I love this Brazilian translation.
>>
>>7728732
inb4 mono linguist plebs disagree because they can't read it
>>
File: 54.jpg (40 KB, 407x500) Image search: [Google]
54.jpg
40 KB, 407x500
>>7728732
>>
>>7728732
>book about Ireland and Irish culture that uses a lot of everyday Irish slang
>better in translation

Yeah, nah. Read it in the original faggot. I know you haven't or you wouldn't be spouting this shit.
>>
>>7728771
I've read both the German translation and the French original of the Asterix comics, the translations are really good but a lot of jokes and refernces get lost in translation
>>
Pope's Iliad, though not "better" than Homer's, is a remarkable achievement.
>>
File: sidarta.jpg (40 KB, 360x500) Image search: [Google]
sidarta.jpg
40 KB, 360x500
>>7728732
Siddhartha's prose was much more vivid in Portuguese.

Related: I've never read them in the original Greek, but I preferred Iliad and Odyssey in Portuguese rather than English. I assume that would be the case for any Romance language.
>>
File: 1447008244951.jpg (108 KB, 476x704) Image search: [Google]
1447008244951.jpg
108 KB, 476x704
I'm sure the Italian translation has charm of it's own but you can't even compare it to a work based around English wordplay.

Compare

Annusare l' odore dolce del te. fumi dal tegame, burro sfrigolante. Resta vicino alla sua carne abbondante calda di letto. Si, si

To smell the gentle smoke of tea, fume of the pan, sizzling butter. Be near her ample bedwarmed flesh. Yes, yes.
>>
>>7728830
>thinks shit slang and white trash culture is what it's about
holy pleb
>>
The Dutch translation of David Mitchell's 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet' was nominated for a big European literary prize (can't be arsed to look up which one, though) while the original wasn't.
>>
100 years of memitude, and anything by hackuki "actually a white man" memakami
>>
>>7728888
It is at least a major part of the novel. It's set entirely in Dublin (like most of Joyce's work) for a reason.

Joyce also makes so many genius puns using the English language, and Irish slang that would never ever translate well in any other language.

I'm sure you're just trying to bait me though so whatever.
>>
>>7728732
LOL
If you are not a troll then you are Italian whose English isn't good enough to read this monument of literature.
Of all prose this is one that loses most in translation. It's like translating verse, doesn't work too well.
>>
>>7729054
>>7729035
its obviously a joke calm down
>>
>>7729073
Meme books are serious business here if you haven't noticed.
>>
>>7728747
>It's considered better than the original

literally what are you talking about
>>
>>7728824
why do you like it?
>>
>>7728852
Yeah I also liked the Odyssey in portuguese.
>>
>>7728885
you convinced me, it can't be translated. for example that "be near" was translated with "resta vicino", which means "stay near", without returning the ambiguity of meaning of the "be near"
>>
>>7729921
wouldn't translating with "sii vicino alla sua carne abbondante calda di letto" just gather the same effect? it is grammatically correct and just as ambiguous
>>
people have such lack of faith in language, to think that it can't capture things from other languages
>>
>>7729969
yeah it would. i guess the translator had his reasons
>>
>>7730015
however on a second thought that whole passage seems to voluntarily skew the original message. maybe what makes this translation different from a common one is that the translator doesn't merely copy paste the original meaning but an interpreted, nuanced version of it
>>
>>7729993
but it does miss out. For instance in the Italian translation it refers to a cerbiatto instead of buck when referring to the character. It has to resort to using the English word a lot of the time just so they know what he meant.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 291x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 291x500
>>7728828
>>
File: 345345.jpg (14 KB, 236x346) Image search: [Google]
345345.jpg
14 KB, 236x346
>>
>>7730064
no, no.

Italian is the way to go with Proust... apart from the original, it is the only language that can capture the richness and the fanciness of his works. trust me
>>
>>7730033
Translation is always a rewrite in the translator's voice. Viz. all the translations from Russian done by Constance.
>>
The french translation is good ?
>>
>>7728885
> YOU CAN'T TRANSLATE WHISKEY POURING INTO A GLASS
> THINK ABOUT ALL THE PUNS LOST!

cry more
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.