[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Science Fiction and Fantasy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: God that You.jpg (130 KB, 736x1039) Image search: [Google]
God that You.jpg
130 KB, 736x1039
God Edition

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg
(For the Computer illiterate) http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg

>Sci-Fi
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a6/Scifilit.jpg
(For the Computer illiterate) http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg
http://imgur.com/r55ODlL
http://imgur.com/A96mTQX

>What you are you currently reading?
>What are your favorite books with Gods who fuck shit up for mortals?
>Who is your favorite God?
>Do you think the Greek Mythos has been written to death? If so, what would be our next Pantheon?

Old thread >>7716502
>>
File: TN-Aule_the_Destroyer.jpg (316 KB, 924x1399) Image search: [Google]
TN-Aule_the_Destroyer.jpg
316 KB, 924x1399
>>What you are you currently reading?
Dune and Street of Crocodiles
>>What are your favorite books with Gods who fuck shit up for mortals?
I havent read any, what would you recommend?
>>Who is your favorite God?
Pic related, I actually fucking cried at this scene
>>Do you think the Greek Mythos has been written to death? If so, what would be our next Pantheon?
I kinda want to see more Mesopotamian mythology, its really neat.
>>
>>7727735
>>>What you are you currently reading?
Diana Wynne Jones essays. Talking about going to lectures with Tolkien and Lewis. Tolkien was inaudible and faced the chalkboard, like he wanted all his students to go away so he could finish LotR. Lewis filled lecture halls for Medieval Prolegomena. Also tons of cool stuff on why genre lines are stupid.
>>What are your favorite books with Gods who fuck shit up for mortals?
C. S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces. Only Greek gods I've seen in fiction that have been the slightest bit godly and not just humans with technology. Alternately Till We Have Faces, even though they are just humans with technology.
>>Who is your favorite God?
The One I worship honestly.
>>Do you think the Greek Mythos has been written to death? If so, what would be our next Pantheon?
It's been written so much because it's so deep. If Polynesians had a vast, colorful literary history we might write theirs more too. But if you insist I'd say the various archetypes of Native American gods. I don't know why but Coyote has always been my favorite trickster.
>>
>>7727735
The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi.
Honestly can't think of too many like that I've read. I'll go with Discworld.
The Great God Om.
>Do you think the Greek Mythos has been written to death? If so, what would be our next Pantheon?
Yes, let's do Hindus next.
>>
>>7727735
Still on Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. These generals move too fast these days.
The Silmarillion
Lakshmi
I reckon there's as much if not more Norse stuff out there.

>>7727754
>I kinda want to see more Mesopotamian mythology, its really neat.
Try Vellum by Glen Duncan.
>>
File: Fantasy Guide.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy Guide.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3000
>>7727735
Did a new Guide. Tell me what you think.

My minor OCD/autism conked out about halfway through this project(took me about 3 and a half hours), so all the other stuff I wanted to do with it, I just wasn't able.

I wanted to do world travel, YA, military, grey characters, structured magic, random magic, zealots, political intrigue, etc etc. Couldn't do it, I just made Random and dumped the best I could in there.
>>
>>7728165
Well it's incredibly silly. You should buck up and do military, grey characters, and political intrigue at least.
>>
File: Planetes 2.jpg (194 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Planetes 2.jpg
194 KB, 1920x1080
What is the hardest sci-fi you've ever read? I'm sick of space magic.
>>
>>7728233
The whole point of scifi is to explore the "what if" of futuristic technology, not to explain how current everyday appliances can take you into space.
>>
>>7728239
Well then I'll just stick with regular fantasy and plain ol' magic-magic.
>>
>>7728165
>SEEG

What did you mean by this?
>>
>>7728165
Why did you feel the need to separate urban protags by their gender?
>>
>>7728253
its SFFG not SEEG
>>
>>7728257
I was going to do a bunch of stuff, couldn't continue. if you read the threads you get some cunts asking for female urban fantasy and male, so I made list.
>>
>>7728239
The possibility of the what if loses its power if the science isn't hard.
>>
So what do you guys think of Michael Swanwick?

I like his stuff as far as non derivative SFF goes, I think the iron dragon's daughter is the best fantasy book of the 90s.
>>
>>7728165
Just about every novel there is shit except GoT which was okay.
But considering how awful these threads are nowadays, it's representative of the taste.
>>
>>7728332
>nowadays
>>
>>7728332
What's wrong with Witcher?
>>
>>7728165

It works perfectly as an "avoid like the plague" list.
>>
>>7728339
It's not good.
Yeah I know, translation is shit, but it's incredibly awful largely because of it.
>>
>>7728354
>this work is badly translated, therefore the work itself is bad!
Okay?
>>
>>7728356
If we disregard the prose it's unremarkable. I don't know why you would actually recommend it to anyone. Especially since there is far better pulp and even slav fantasy.
>>
>>7728357

>far better pulp and even slave fantasy

Name five of each.
>>
>>7728357
I like it. That's all there is to anything.
>>
>>7728361
Croatian Tales from Long Ago
Lankhmar
Conan
Elric
John Carter
Amber
>>7728363
That's okay, but I don't get the list. It's (generic commercial fantasy everyone knows of already number 18372991)
>>
>>7728332
Half of the random section is worth reading. It lacks a lot of good shit that's been replaced by crap like Blood Song.

Can anyone explain to me why that's so loved? People here think Kvothe is a Gary Stu, but you haven't seen anything until you've read this.
>>
>>7728370
>but I don't get the list
I didn't make it so don't ask me.
>Conan
>John Carter
Are you serious?
>>
>>7728165
The fuck is this? I thought it was a "AVOID ALL THIS TRASH" chart first, but then there were a few good ones under "Random".

Someone with a little more brain do this.
>>
>>7728375
They are fun pulp. I didn't like them a lot, but it's better than translated Witcher.
>>
>>7728382
>far better translated
Again, you're criticizing something based on the translation and not the content. That's retarded.
>>
>>7728385
Almost everyone here will read the translation.
And some Poles here told me that it isn't much better in the original.
>>
>>7728390
But if the problem is bad prose, why don't you just say bad prose instead of "bad translation"? The translation's quality isn't a fault of the book itself.
>>
>>7727735
>last OP sneaked the additional "you" into the first question again
>new OP just copied it over
cheeky

>>7724886
supposedly a few of the Halo books are good. haven't read them though. In case of the Mass Effect books I can only say hands off, they're beyond shit and have no impact on the games whatsoever.

>>7725580
sounds interesting

>>7725764
best kind of magic

>>7725832
wasn't he already writing it with some co-author? maybe that stuff changed because the co-author had his hands in it.

>>7727059
read it, it's great.
>>
>>7728393
The prose which I've read was terrible.
It is said that it's due to translation, but some claim it's due to both original being mediocre and translation adding to it. Either way the version which I've read had mediocre stories and bad prose.
>>
File: SelectedSciFiFavorites.jpg (410 KB, 1600x2400) Image search: [Google]
SelectedSciFiFavorites.jpg
410 KB, 1600x2400
Instead of shit lists why not post this
>>
>>7728506
i hated that ishiguro book, couldn't finish it
everything else here seems good tho
>>
>>7728375
Fuck off, nigger, Conan is awesome, don't even try to compare it to some retarded slav fantasy series with shitty videogames.
>>
>>7728539

>nigger, retarded, shitty, awesome

This is a 18+ website.
>>
>>7728565

Go back to tumblr.
>>
>>7728506
>The Last Question
>TFW new atheists immediately reject any discussion about the merits of pandeism.

Feels bad, man.
>>
>>7728539
Awesome as Conan is, nothing Howard wrote is as good as the actual Witcher novels.
>>
>>7728565
an*
>>
>>7728506

Now THIS is a list I can get behind.

>>7728571

You're right, my bad. >>7728570 is also right.
>>
>>7728506

Stations Of The Tide was very good, I especially liked all the homages to The Third Head Of Cerberus.

Swanwick is criminally underrated, he deserved the success that went to GRRM instead.
>>
>>7728570
>>7728573
That's because your taste is shit.
Show me a fantasy with a more charismatic, iconic and manly protagonist, with a more action/adventure packed story and with a prose that perfect for what it is.
You can't. Conan is the non plus ultra of the action/adventure genre.
>>7728565
You're the one who talked about The Witcher.
>>
>>7728506
Am I missing something here? Because that list is in the OP...
>>
>>7728583
>more charismatic
>Conan
>charismatic
He doesn't even have a fucking personality, he's just there for Howard to self-insert into and have empowerment fantasies with.
>a prose that perfect
Oh, it was just the village idiot.
>>
>>7728586
>can't even understand Conan
How does it feel to be that stupid?
>>
>>7728583

>videogames are for children and can't be good
>thinks a protagonist has to be "manly" to be good
>thinks a story has to be "action packed" to be good
>thinks Howard's prose is anything above average

Just curious, are you a Sad Puppy by any chance?
>>
>>7728595
I see, you're one of those retards that put words into people's mouth.
I implied The Witcher videogames are shit, not that videogames are shit, I actually think the opposite.
When you read action/adventure fantasy where people fight with swords and bare hands the protagonist can't be a faggot, yes.
I think an action/adventure story has to be action packed, yes.
The prose is perfect for the content, yes.
>>
>>7728615
You're a silly person.
>>
Video games are fucking shit if they're adapted word for word. Taking a video game and putting a twist and picking and choosing a shitload could generate a decently interesting work loosely based on a few of the mechanics should theoretically work, however.
>>
>>7728615

>When you read action/adventure fantasy where people fight with swords and bare hands the protagonist can't be a faggot, yes.

Says you. I actually think it makes for a more interesting story if the protagonist isn't some indestructible demigod who cleaves all the monsters in half and fucks all the bitches in town.

Regarding the games, I think they're good (especially the last one) but that's not really a discussion for this thread.
>>
>>7728575
Third Head of Cerberus? You mean fifth?
>>
>>7728626
If this was spurred by the Witcher discussion, you realise that the books predate the games by about 20 years?

The better game stories tend to be about building worlds, focusing on choice, or discovering the story through dialogue and expsition, rather than telling a straight forward plot like a novel. That's something the Witcher games actually nailed. All the great characters and Slavic folklore of the novels, with none of the dull plotlines of the novels post Sword of Destiny.
>>
File: bad predictions.jpg (506 KB, 612x5850) Image search: [Google]
bad predictions.jpg
506 KB, 612x5850
>>7728233
Tales of Pirx the Pilot by Stanislaw Lem.
Same as all hard sci-fi it reads like this list nowadays.
>>
>>7728656

Yeah Fifth, sorry. Brain fart.

still, it was nice to see an author actually referencing and respecting the Wolfemeister.
>>
>>7728658
>rather than telling a straight forward plot like a novel
It's like you don't even read
>>
>>7728658
I haven't read the Witcher books but my idea runs in general:

Original fiction -> game (game is usually the inferior product esp poor CG/art style because stills tend to look much better than actual game art also it might feel pretty forced)

Original Game -(attempting exact adaptation)-> Fiction (danger of falling into the by the book, action by action, formulaic etc book and plot may be predictable)

Select what's good from the game (eg worldbuilding + certain plot elements) + fiction style which has a decent plot -> Good book

I'd rather read a book than play a game, that's just my personal opinion, because I'm an impatient person. Clearly there'd be good games and shit games but I feel in particular that mediums with visuals tend to condense down on the text probably because of budget/don't want to lose audiences with purple dialogue but on the other hand they might communicate details that are not in the original text. And vice versa.

Personally I prefer original works rather than adaptations.
>>
>>7728682
I feel the need to point out that the Witcher games take place AFTER the events of the books and continue the story rather than adapting it, just in case there was any confusion.
>>
Any fantasy with shotacon women in them? I seem to recall the kids series Rowan of Rin having some minor shotacon stuff in the first book.
>>
>>7727818
>C. S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces. Only Greek gods I've seen in fiction that have been the slightest bit godly and not just humans with technology.

>Alternately Till We Have Faces, even though they are just humans with technology.

uuuh... what now?
>>
>>7728697
Shotacon stuff? Pedofile please.
>>
>>7728660
That image is Oatmeal tier retarded.
>>
>>7728622
And?
>>7728629
Your affirmation means you haven't even read Conan or didn't understand it.
Most of the time Conan faces enemies far stronger than him. The reason why he survives is not because he's some "indestructible demigod", it's because his life taught him how to survive, he spent his entire life on the edge. At the same time this didn't turn him into an unrelatable character.

You sound like a sjw homosexual who never read Conan and just hates it because you feel intimidated by muscular manly men.

I'm not against other kind of characters, I just think having them in heroic fantasy is retarded.
>>
>>7728708
>The reason why he survives is not because he's some "indestructible demigod", it's because his life taught him how to survive,
He kills fucking lions like it's nothing when he's seventeen.
>sjw homosexual
Okay, that's it. STOP RESPONDING TO THIS ASSHAT.
>>
File: 1446876702723s.jpg (5 KB, 250x166) Image search: [Google]
1446876702723s.jpg
5 KB, 250x166
>>7728708
>sjw homosexual
>>
>>7728711
Must have been a weak lion.
No, seriously, he faces a stronger enemy half the time.
>>7728714
Who else would be against manly muscular protagonists? Respond.
>>
>>7728317
And it sounds fucking boring if it reads like NASA employee manual. This is why seveneves sucked, the "future " was fucking boring (nanobug lasso, hell yeah).
>>
>>7728718
To be fair, a homosexual would probably enjoy manly muscular protagonists
>>
>>7728711
>Okay, that's it. STOP RESPONDING TO THIS ASSHAT.

Go home, gamer girl.
>>
File: Conan the Cimmerian.jpg (383 KB, 1035x1300) Image search: [Google]
Conan the Cimmerian.jpg
383 KB, 1035x1300
>>7728729
Here, now go fap to Conan's manly muscles.
>>
>>7728718
I've read one Conan and didn't like it a lot because it's very bare bones, I liked Lankhmar a lot more. But yes, he went from a king to the underdog in the first 20 pages and had to fight to get his kingdom back with a lot of luck and help from others. He is much less self inserty than say Name of The Wind, when one would expect it to be the other way around.
>>
>>7728726
The insult was not homosexual, was sjw homosexual.
I like gay people like the ancient Greeks, I understand the mental attraction towards other men.
What I hate are fags and sjw. Insufferable. Should be deported in a labor camp for a year to break big rocks 24/7, wanna see if they'll still behave like enemies of common sense afterwards.
>>
>>7728746
>I like fags but I hate fags
Okay?
>>
>>7728699
Whoops. Lord of Light.
>>
>>7727735
I'm going to make a fantasy list like the one for SF with the good stuff. Tell me what I've forgotten
The Wizard Knight
Silmarillion and Children of Hurin
Amber
Lankhmar
Elric
Dying Earth
Latro in the Mist
Ghormengast
Earthesea
Lovecraft stories
Croatian Tales from Long Ago
>>
>>7728370
>That's okay, but I don't get the list. It's (generic commercial fantasy everyone knows of already number 18372991)

Ahh, so you are a pretentious hipster who sees lit as some super sekrit club, and we must have vague, largely unknown, books in our lists? Like how our brethren have their big 3 outside this thread.

If you can do better, do so. I just tried to make one because the two scififags who made the new list wouldn't do one for fantasy.
No one was doing one for fantasy, and if it took me 3hours, only to have my list shat upon(totally expected, *tips*) I can see why no one else would want to try.

Scififags are much easier to please than fantasyfags.
>>
>>7728748
Fags aren't gays, they're fags.
>>
>>7728767
Your list got shat upon because it's fucking trash filled with god awful books.
And yes, /lit/ is a super seecret club because if I wanted the shit on your list I'd go to r/books.
>>
>>7728776
Kinda like jews and jews
>>
>>7728723
Seveneves sucked because of the Stephenson ending. The future part would have done pretty well as a sequel (but he doesn't do those, does he? Baroque Cycle is one novel in six volumes) or a novella on his website, and the horror-in-orbit was absolutely prime.
>>
>>7728767
The only thing I can say is that I wouldn't touch the 80% of that list with a stick.
>>7728780
More like blacks and niggers. A Nigger doesn't even have to be black.
>>
>>7728573
>>7728506
>Now THIS is a list I can get behind.

Now both of you have proven to me, without a doubt that you don't actually fucking read. That list was in the OP for the last 4 threads, at least.
>>
>>7728327
>hey guys I made a book where everyone just murders each other for no reason and there's no real resolution! am I subverting anything yet?
>>
>>7728795

but that's not what he does, like, at all.

That would be grrm.
>>
How do you guys feel about fantasy and hygiene?

Like, toilets, and diseases, and bathing and stuff. If a setting is otherwise low fantasy and they had working plumbing would you feel pissed off, or just accept it and move on?
>>
>>7728791
Yes, exactly, a jew doesn't need to be jewish
>>
>>7728808

I just assume they wash in a river occasionally
>>
>>7728808
Romans had it, why not? Actually what's some good Roman fantasy? There's got to be some.
>>
File: tWoK_ENDSHEET-REAR-1-webres.jpg (326 KB, 1200x795) Image search: [Google]
tWoK_ENDSHEET-REAR-1-webres.jpg
326 KB, 1200x795
>>7728233
Revelation Space but I'm a hard sci-fi pleb.

Although with the author having a PhD in Astrophysics and an ex-employee of the European Space Agency, he definitely knows his fucking shit and can't get much harder. I was certainly hard while reading it.
>>
>>7728826
You're better off reading their stuff, like The Satyricon and The Golden Ass.
The Satyricon is comedy gold.
>>
>>7728808
The more elements you introduce the more ammunition you give your readers to rip apart the inconsistencies in your world.
>>
File: 1456133655961.jpg (40 KB, 311x441) Image search: [Google]
1456133655961.jpg
40 KB, 311x441
>>7728370
:^)
>>
>>7728777
>And yes, /lit/ is a super seecret club because if I wanted the shit on your list I'd go to r/books.

There's not proper reaction image to convey what a stupid asshole and unwarranted elitist you are.
>>
>>7728506
Now make a fantasy version of this
>>
>>7728867
That list also applies to fantasy
>>
>>7728864
But there is an image that says go back to r/books. I mean there's no elitists there and everyone will like your taste.
You may consider doing that.
>>
>>7728867
Working on it now
>>
Personally I just said fuck it and made my setting have at least decent levels of technology for home living and medicine. Working toilets, gas lamps and ovens, iceboxes, pasteurization, and basic concepts of immunization and sterile environments for medical procedures. It's not uniformly spread though, so some places have people shitting in the woods and the most advanced city actually has a coal-fire power-plant prototype that generates electricity through a crazy apparatus.

On the other hand I love old stone buildings and classical period architecture as opposed to European stuff, but since technology in the home affects the design of the home I have to consider how that works. Even if it's only ultimately a visualization in my mind I still need it to "work" for me. I eventually decided that a few of the more stony locations are basically newer houses built from cannibalized stone from older ruins, and I think I can work spiritualism themes into that as well.

I don't want to chain myself down worrying about this sort of thing but I also want to be internally consistent and make the world feel less like a hodgepodge of my personal tastes and more like a cohesive immersive whole. At least it's fun to think about.

And that's not even touching on the fact that I like both swords and guns.
>>
>>7728763
I think having some good entry stuff there like Sanderson, First Blade and Farseer would be ideal. Stuff like Lovecraft and Croatian Tales doesn't feel right.
>>
>>7728873

How do you fuck up reading comprehension on /lit/
>>
>>7728875
>start out intending to make a high fantasy
>it just doesn't work without cool diesel trucks and radios
Final Fantasy's never going to let me go, is it?
>>
>>7728763
>lel, good fantasy is old fantasy am I right guise?

You sound like a fucking e/lit/ist. They believe the only good books are pre 19th century, everything else is trash.

Your list reads like a 39 year old neckbeard's nostalgic read.
>>
>>7728883

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Technology isn't monolithic. Having swordfights on top of big freight trucks sounds fun.
>>
>>7728886
The Wizard Knight is 2004/5
Fuck of Sanderson redditor
>>
>>7728874
>>7728867
>>7728506
I was begging you fags to make a fantasy list for the past 6 threads, now all it had to take for you to make one was my "shitty" list.

I could have slept in those 3hours after midnight.
>>
>>7728763
>Silmarillion and Children of Hurin
Why not Lord of the Rings? Silmarillion is as boring as the Bible.
>>
>>7728895
Never been to redshit, never will. It takes one to know one, so I guess you frequent that site, and you have built up imaginary "tells", that over the years has helped you to out a redfaggit?
>>
>>7728920
I liked these two much more. I'll put LotR in too.
Also the Bible is really interesting. Depending a lot on the book, but still, most is interesting.
>>
>>7728920
>hurr Silmarillion is boring
Maybe for you, fucking troglodyte.
>>
>>7728850

What's a good example of a series that falls apart upon examination of the setting?

Apart from Harry Potter.
>>
>>7728902
The greatest cause of progress is competition.

You forced the competition. Good on you, nosleepanon.
>>
File: 1453707468928.png (210 KB, 368x475) Image search: [Google]
1453707468928.png
210 KB, 368x475
>>7728895
>>7728927

Here's a book for both of you
>>
File: alloy_map_1_world-webres.png (272 KB, 795x1200) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_1_world-webres.png
272 KB, 795x1200
>>7728165
>way of kings
Nice list
>>
>>7728165
Guys if I put in Harry Potter, name of the wind, and animorphs would you have accepted it more?
>>
What's the longest fantasy series?
>>
File: Fantasy Chart.png (4 MB, 1496x2440) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy Chart.png
4 MB, 1496x2440
>>
>>7728973
Wheel of Time?
>>7728964
You have female urban fantasy, if you put in book of the new sun it would still be completely disregarded
>>
>>7728975
>3 Tolkien
>3 Wolfe
>Marx
>bunch of other boring shit
Shit list
>>
>>7728973
Discworld was 41 books.
>>
>>7728975
It's done. Didn't get any recs and I feel like Tales and Lovecraft should be there as fantasy is pretty wide and to mimic the sf list with a number of unconventional picks.
>>
>>7728975
>The Complete Chronicles of Conan
I'm so buying this for my birthday.
>>
>>7728982
You should have recommended more stuff. I can add later on, assuming it's something I deem fit.
>>
>>7728994
Malazan or Black Company?
>>
>>7728975
>das kapital
>are you trying to trick me.jpg

>>7728975
>>7728165
Nice, both should go in the fantasy in op
The pleb one will keep casual(normies) browser from asking us stupid fucking questions, and the selected will be to help our regulars.
>>
>>7728989
It's cheap but the series itself isn't for everyone. It's very basic in dilivery, but it still feels fresh in terms of setting, because it's something of a prehistoric egypt thingy. Prose is lacking which is the main complaint I have about it.
>>
>>7728997
It's a meme you dip
>>7728995
No
>>
>>7728979
Because faggets kept asking for female lead books, I want them to gtfo.
>>
>>7728998
You don't have to tell me what Conan is like, I've read most of the stories because libraries exist. I still want that.
>>7729003
>No
You don't like what I like, so we're enemies now.
>>
>>7728975
Kind of disappointing, only like 5 of those are deserving to be on there.

Can someone more capable make one?
>>
>>7729004
You mean visitor plebs keep asking for it. Best thing is to completely ignore them. Recommending trash will bring in more fags who want to read more trash and the cycle will go on untill most visitors are plebs.
>>
>>7729007
Recommend good fantasy
>>
>>7729010
You're a poopy-head who wouldn't know good fantasy if it fell on and killed your dog.
>>
>>7729012
Should I have put in more vaginal urban fantasy?
>>
>>7729016
I gave a recommendation and all I got was "no".
>>
>>7729007
MAKE IT YOURSELF OR GTFO
THIS IS THE SAME EXACT SHIT THAT HAPPENED WHEN THE FANTASY AND SCIFI IN THE OP WERE MADE.

EEVERYONE SHAT ON IT, NO ONE STEPPED UP TO DO BETTER. NOW TWO CUNTS STEPPED UP AND YOU GUYS ARE SHITTING ON THEM TOO.

GET THE FUCK OUT YOU CUNT GARGLEUR.
>>
>>7729010
I don't consider myself well read enough to say, but I can tell what to remove; all Tolkien, because anyone who likes him already knows about him and limit it to one Wolfe book. Also remove Lovecraft and the Croatian childrens book shit (are you a slav?).

What to fill the spots with I'll leave to other anons.
>>
>>7729018
That's because first Malazan I've read was incredibly awful and recs next to it are dubious because of the proximity
>>
>>7729024
Well that's your loss.
>>
>>7729022
I'm a Slav and there is a pdf online
http://publicdomainreview.org/collections/croatian-tales-of-long-ago-1922/
Most people only read LotR and it's very different from CoH and Silmarillion and Wolfe is the best sff author so he'll stay
>>
>>7728930
Earthsea
>>
>>7728165
>such low amounts of gay, rape and incest
Are you even trying la familia? Tbqh fambo that sucks
>>
>>7729032

How so?
>>
>>7729022
>remove the best things from the rec chart because people already knows them
rec chart=best chart
Why the fuck would it be otherwise? If you want specific shit you search for a specific chart.
>>
>>7727735
nah
>>
>>7728129
One general a day? How is that too fast? Unless the pacing is too much for a nerd like you. The problem is more that they lack useful discussion.
>>
>>7729042
I have found the method of looking up authors who infuenced x as a great way to find stuff usually hidden. I'd have never found Leiber if not for Wolfe. Same for Vance.
>>
>>7729031
>I'm a Slav
Yeah, we can tell. But that's basically just your favorites then and not a list for general use. And no one said to remove Wolfe, but to limit it.

Basically too biased and thus worthless.

>>7729042
>Tolkien
>best
(You)
Might as well put 8x Tolkien and 8x Wolfe on there, great chart.
>>
>less than 12 hours
>thread's bump limit is half filled
>OP theme is ignored for the discussion of lists
Never change guys
>>
File: Small Gods.jpg (404 KB, 1024x687) Image search: [Google]
Small Gods.jpg
404 KB, 1024x687
>>7729057
Wanna talk about gods?
>>
>>7729055
>Might as well put 8x Tolkien and 8x Wolfe on there, great chart.
It would be
>But that's basically just your favorites then and not a list for general use.
No, I don't like Lovecraft and Howard much, also Elric isn't something I'd put in my favourites.
It's also good for general use because all of these are good books.
>>7729060
Not really.
>>
>>7729060
Is that man's liver exposed on the golden turtle? Does it fucking have eyes?

Wtf. Prometheus?
>>
>>7729074
The Great God Om saving the Prophet Brutha from the inquisition.
Go read Small Gods already.
>>
>>7729079
I've heard it's kinda funny but not good
>>
>>7729081
Are you not able to form your own opinions? None of the Discworld books are long, it's well worth the effort.
>>
>>7729008
Those are the best of the pleb stuff man, trust me (spent hours looking), even read some of it when I was younger, you might enjoy some of it, if you give it a try.
>>
>>7729094
I am on books I read myself. Hence "I've heard" not "It's x even if I haven't read it"
>>7729095
Nah old pulp is best pleb stuff.
>>
>>7729102
Well are you going to read it or not?
>>
>>7729109
Probably not, it doesn't seem very interesting the way people describe it and it's fun at best so I'm not compelled at all to read it. Maybe a few years from now.
>>
Is there an all-comprehensive Discworld epubs torrent somewhere?
>>
>>7729123
Then what DO you find interesting? Help me help you.
>>
>>7729131
Wolfe, Tolkien, Zelanzy, Leiber.
>>
File: file.png (65 KB, 658x560) Image search: [Google]
file.png
65 KB, 658x560
>>7729127
ya
>>
>>7729136
And is that what you are going to read next, or is it just stuff you've read in the past?
Give the Discworld a chance. Sure it's not on the same level as those you mentioned, and it starts off rather poorly and is initially meant to be just satire, but it grows from that.
>>
>>7729144
Not him but why are you trying to shill discworld so badly? lel
>>
>>7729149
>shill
Did I tell him to buy it? I don't think I did. I do want more people to read it though. I believe good things should be spread about, you know? Most people in these threads just whine about how everything anyone likes is shit and how everyone has shit taste. That's not good for anyone.
>>
>>7729144
>Give the Discworld a chance
>waste your time on a 41 book series
Not him but I have better things to read.
>>
>>7729144
Past. Reading Virgil, Joyce and Endo now. Will try Greene after that and finish more Wolfe.
Then I'll consider more new fantasy.
>>
>>7729156
>waste your time
Didn't feel like a waste to me though.
>>
>>7729154
Well he told you in like 3 posts he doesn't want to read it because he isn't into humor based books and you still keep forcing it.

I'm the same actually, never liked things in that vein. Hitchhikers Guide is one of my most hated books ever read.
>>
>>7729140
>doesn't try to hide what tracker he posted.

You know they can see who accessed that page today and ban you right?
>>
>>7729156
I'd have probably read only 1-2 anyway.
>>7729162
I generally think every worthwhile story short be told in a maximum of 2k pages.
>>
>>7729168
ban me for what? is posting screenshots of torrents forbidden for some weird reason?
>>
File: The Bard.jpg (62 KB, 620x813) Image search: [Google]
The Bard.jpg
62 KB, 620x813
>>7729166
>in like 3 posts he doesn't want to read it
He didn't say that even once though. I'm not going to argue with you though.
>>
>>7729168
Nobody will give a fuck
>>
>>7729178
>I generally think every worthwhile story short be told in a maximum of 2k pages.
So one of Sanderson's / Malazan's doorstopper books?
>>
>>7729178
>a maximum of 2k pages
I can't say I approve of that.
>>
>>7729180
On other trackers it is, not too sure about ours though.
>>
>>7729181
>though twice
>>
>>7729186
I've tried both and were shit so yeah.
>>7729189
I can't think of a book with more than I like.
>>
>>7729181
Ok discworld shill.
>>
>>7729198
Why are these threads so incredibly negative?
>>
It's okay to shill stuff>>7729198
>>
>>7729181
Are our threads being monitored? Do you get some form of dispensation for generating new discworld readers, and thus revenue?

Or are you one of those sick fucks who enjoy suggesting books that would waste people's time? Like that litfag did years ago in sugessting thomas covenant to me.
>>
>>7729220
I enjoy suggesting things I enjoyed because I expect others would too.
Don't have a cow, man.
>>
>>7729224
Well you expected wrong. Keep in mind not everyone is born with the same shit taste buds such as yourself.
>>
>>7729227
And not everyone is a captive of their own negativity like you. Let go of your hate. Let go of your bitterness.
>>
>>7729227

I appreciate Discworld Anon's enthusiasm even though I'm not much of a Discworld fan myself.
>>
>>7729234
Gimme your back pussy and then we can talk.
>>
>>7729168
>autism
>>7729140
What tracker is that? I just use Bookzz or libgen for English stuff.
>>
>>7729239
>autism
More like paranoia
>>
>>7729239
Its a private tracker.
>>
>>7729249
Why would you use a private tracker for ebooks? Serious question.
>>
>>7729252
Why would you not, is the question. It's easy to get in and is more convenient than libgen or IRC.
>>
>>7729252
Idk most is on regular torrents
>>
>>7729258
Because they have rules.
I hate rules. Might as well buy the fucking books if I have to subdue to someone's will.
So, any advantage?
>>
>>7729267
Most are pretty annoying, yeah. The one that was posted is very lenient and chill though.
>>
>>7729252
I use it for audiobooks, I'm not the anon who posted the pic.
>>
>>7728746
>tfw I read "to break big cocks 24/7" first
>>
>>7728989
make sure you buy the HC (both HC and trade are literally the same price)
>>
File: BFS.jpg (103 KB, 600x443) Image search: [Google]
BFS.jpg
103 KB, 600x443
So how about that Stormlight Archive?
>>
>>7729389
Wouldn't be surprised if you also wrote it.
>>
>>7729413
This is why I hate certain fantasy and fantasyfags, look at that weapon, only a child could have conceived it.
>>
>>7729452
>he doesn't have an inner child
What does it feel like to be dead inside?
>>
File: WoR_SKETCHBOOK-DUELING_fmt.jpg (328 KB, 1375x2048) Image search: [Google]
WoR_SKETCHBOOK-DUELING_fmt.jpg
328 KB, 1375x2048
>>7729452
Shardblades are normally xboxhuge.
>>
>>7729455
See there is a difference between a good childlike thing and a manchild thing.

On the other note Shannara has a TV series. Never read the books books and watching ep 1 now. Any good for both of those?
>>
>>7729466
I'm going to assume the show is trying to capitalize on the popularity of GoT and is probably not worth watching. Never read the books.
>>
>>7729466
>>7729472

The show is actually YA pandering with shoehorned teen romance more than GoT.

Books are hit and miss, when he tries to be Tolkien he fails miserably, but when he does his own thing I find them tolerable, ie Voyage Of The Jerle Shannara.
>>
>>7729455
Feels good. Kill yourself.
>>7729463
Disgusting.
>>
>>7729472
I'm 2 minutes in and the writing is already garbage. It looks nice tho. Music is generic as fuck.
God why don't they adapt Lankhmar that's such a movie show
>>
>>7729476
>>7729472
Show is already
>le one grill to beat all le men who hate her for being womyn.
Just tried the new doctor who tv show it ws more terrible than this so I'll stick for at least one episode.
>>
>>7729491
>God why don't they adapt Lankhmar that's such a movie show
I want that
>>
>>7729504
Just two manly men doing shit while contemplating love and nature of the world... On the other hand it's too "sexist" for a faithful adaptation.
>>
>>7729502

>>le one grill to beat all le men who hate her for being womyn.

Nah that's only the first ten minutes, they quickly drop that shit and go full Twilight but with elves instead of vampires.

In a way it's even worse.
>>
>>7729516
Fafhrd could be changed into a black trans woman to suit the modern sensibilites.
>>
>>7729504
>>7729516

>Prime Arnold as Farfhd

>Prime Danny DeVito as Gray Mouser

Oh, what could have been.
>>
>>7729522
>Danny DeVito
You just can't do this to my sides, man.
>>
>>7729518
12 minutes in.
Jesus Christ the dialogue is so bloody fucking awful I can't fucking believe it. Every line is spoken out like a fucking pre scripted generic conversation. Worse than SW VII.
>>
>>7729528

To add insult to injury, they had fucking Gimli, the quintessential dwarf, play the King Of The Elves.
>>
>>7729527
I would have loved that, it would have been perfect.
A man can dream, but entertainment was taken over by the jews.
>>
>>7729536
>that chemistry they had in Twins
>now in a fantasy world where they're the broes of bros
>only it will never be
You have brought despair into my heart now.
>>
>>7729542
I'm trying to find a show to watch and everything is terrible or too heavy like Fargo. Fucking hell.
>>
>>7729549
Better Call Saul is good to me, but I can see how that wouldn't be for everyone.
Just go watch old stuff like I, Claudius.
>>
Re-reading Dune.
There is only one God.
>>
>>7729559
>There is only one God
Are you one of those hindoos who believe that all gods are actually just different manifestations of one god?
>>
>>7729549
>>7729536
>>7729516
Watch anime, tv shows are shit.
Leiji Matsumoto, Kino's Journey, Twelve Kingdoms.
>>
>>7729626
High school is long gone.
Seen all anime I wanted to really.
>>
>Thread up for 12 hours
>approaching bump limit
Remember when the general lasted for at least a week? Pepperidge farm remembers.
>>
File: Conquer 02.webm (117 KB, 800x340) Image search: [Google]
Conquer 02.webm
117 KB, 800x340
>>7729522
>Prime Arnold as Farfhd

>Prime Danny DeVito as Gray Mouser

this would have been so good
>>
>>7729631
>cartoons are for children
So is genre literature.
Spoken like someone who has seen 10 anime.
>>
>>7729632
god forbid people talk to each other or are having fun right?
>>
>>7729645
Literature is something to be enjoyed at a club that can only be entered if you know the secret knock, and you are kicked out if you speak.
>>
>>7729642
No I've seen like 300 shows including everything I wanted in HS. It's really simple. I also don't read genre literature.
>>
>>7729650
>I also don't read genre literature
Why are you in this thread?
>>
>>7729652
Discussing some books I like and some which I don't
>>
>>7729650
>I've seen like 300 shows including everything I wanted in HS
What a load of crap.
>btw I watched them at 1.5 speed
>>
>>7729692
No, I just had time and an interest.
>>
>>7728875
It sounds to me like you're pasting modern comforts into your world because you, personally, wouldn't want to live without them. I'm not sure that's a recipe for success.
>>
>>7729642
How many animes should one watch, exactly, to decide they don't really like watching Japanese cartoons?
>>
>>7729735
You don't have to watch even one to be honest.
>>
>>7729735
Try watching good anime and not mal's top 50.
And what the fuck does it mean don't like anime? Do you also not like music? Or sculpture?
>>
>>7729751

What they REALLY mean is of course "I don't like the social stigma associated to anime watchers".
>>
>>7729751
>music
that'd more be akin to "I don't like watching tv at all"
>>
>>7729847
I see, one of the greatest signs of intelligence.
>>
>>7729867
What the fuck is "tv" anyway?
No, try movies.
>>
>>7729871

I watch good anime and keep it a secret from everybody. Best of both worlds.
>>
File: Locke Lamora.jpg (191 KB, 900x1234) Image search: [Google]
Locke Lamora.jpg
191 KB, 900x1234
>>7729882
I watch it openly, nobody seems to have a problem with it.
>>
>>7729887

Nobody is telling you what they think, more like.

I bet they go behind your back.

>lmao that loser still watches Japanese cartoons

>I know right? A grown ass man!

And if they don't, I guess you live in a better place than I do.
>>
>>7729902
Yeah, I doubt the people in my social circle would be capable of pettiness on that level.
>>
>>7729882
I was ironic. People like you are retarded.
>>
>>7729910

>not wanting to be made fun of by normies is retarded

whatever you say
>>
>>7729914
When you grow up you learn not to give a fuck if others judge the way you spend your time negatively.
>>
>finally finish Childhood's End
Does the recent miniseries differ greatly from the source material?
>>
>>7729970
I've 10 pages left.
I've watched 2 of the 3 episodes and it's quite shit compared to the book. There are a lot of changes. Watch it anyway, it's short.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.