[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Got into a to Canadian university for Classical Studies /
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13 KB, 300x168
>Got into a to Canadian university for Classical Studies / English
>Got $40 000 in scholarship that's renewed every year I'm there (Including grad school)
>Tuition and residence costs $20 000 a year
>tfw I'm getting paid to study humanities
>>
>>7726619
truly a sign of a decadent, dying society
wonder how it'll be when the debt bubble collapses
I predict wild west anarchy, or cruel martial law
>>
What's the scholarship? Never heard of anything that amazing at a Canadian university. OGS and SSHRC put together would still be less than that, and both are yearly applications for MA/PhD only.
>>
nice m8, going for manuscript studies? canada's great for that too
>>
>>7726619
congrats dude. sounds like you've earned it and have been fortunate. savor it and give em hell in school!
>>
>>7726619
That's amazing, what got you the scholarship?
>>
Best of luck, anon. If you seek to continue with Canadian academia, you will need to have entered the Honours stream of your undergraduate program.

Regarding the winter - death is unlikely, but frostbite is both embarrassing and painful to suffer through.

I can highly recommend the quality of Arthurian Studies programs, particularly in Ontario. Study hard!
>>
>tfw i get mexican studies in los angeles with catholic school full of beaners and pacific islanders when growing up, followed by more los angeles public school followed by studying at wikipedia for no official academic purpose for my adult life

i actually feel good about it tho
>>
>>7726684
As long as you're actually acquiring concrete information or skills in one particular field. Too often I find that people who claim to "study everything" don't actually know anything, only half-remembered facts and headlines to quickly pull up on their phone.
>>
>tfw I'll be $120,000 in debt when I finally get my two sheets of paper
Well at least here in Australia the payments don't start until I get a full-time job and the timeframe of the loan scales to your salary. I couldn't even imagine being an Americuck.
>>
If you can write a great Canadian novel I am happy for you to get all that money. Canadian lit is pathetic and mostly hinges on a victim complex (immigrant story, minority females, first nations, etc).
>>
>>7726648
I wrote a really good essay about Rugby, and when I went in for the interview part of the application, they wanted me to talk about my passion for a subject, so I played them my ancient history based mixtape.
>>
>>7726619
Good for you OP. Now make it worth something and try not to waste it all on crack and whores.
>>
>>7726727
>$120000 in debt in Australia
What the hell were you studying, where and for how long?
>>
Is canadian accent kinda funny or something, hard to understand for foreigner maybe? This seems like good idea, i am from europe btw
>>
>>7726727
It scales in America too. There is a wide variety of payment plans, but you might have to pay more interest.
>>
>>7726619
Thanks for lying
>>
>>7726619
Stop talking about fucking college.
I'll have you know I've never even been to college and I've received quite the "humanities" education. Wanna know how?
I read.
I educated myself.
I became my own teacher.
The only person you really need to go by is yourself. Why listen to an idiot professor drone on when all the information they're vomiting is readily available?
I'm 24 years old and I've my entire life figured out. No regrets whatsoever. Sure, you're getting "paid" to receive an education, and it may seem like everyone is bowing in your presence, but is it truly worth it? Will you feel satisfied following the same routine as millions of other schmucks?
I'd like to say, "No, you won't." End the cycle.
>>
>>7726755
Double of Law with honours and International Security at ANU. 5 years, but I'll probably take on some extra courses to finish earlier.
>>
File: 1440727461277.jpg (21 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1440727461277.jpg
21 KB, 480x600
>>7726772
>>
>>7726772
> Why listen to an idiot professor drone on when all the information they're vomiting is readily available?

I don't know what kind of schools you know, but I respected most of my professors' intelligence and PhDs.
>>
Is anyone in this thread stupid enough to believe this shit?
>>
>>7726783
No one realises I shitposted it
>>
>>7726781
Please, don't get me wrong, I've sat in on many a "prestigious" university classes. Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, you name it, I've sat in on a class. Though, let me tell you, not a single one of these top universities provided me with a satisfying curriculum.
The "classics" many of them were. I can read the classics at h-o-m-e. Why pay thousands to read?
I'd like to say that I'm far more well-read than you're average ivy-leaguer, but many of them I came across in my visits seemed well-educated. Educated they were, though nonetheless ignorant. Ignorant of what they became caught in; they weren't following passion, they were following their marks.
Although I did convince more than a few of these bright minds to come over into my way of thinking. They, out of everyone I met, were the true "smarties."
You all should come over here too–it's really quite nice.
>>
File: 1454118231968.jpg (619 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454118231968.jpg
619 KB, 1920x1080
>>7726801
this nigga think he steve job
tell me nigga
you invent a computah? has you invented it?
where you computah nigga?
i ain't see it?
i think you full of it
i think you aint even got a computah
>>
Meanwhile university in Austria costs €18 per year.
>>
>>7726816
Oh, believe me, you'll know my name in a few years.
When you see the name "Serendipity Lewis" all over the news, please, remember this thread and the polite comments you had toward me.
>>
>>7726801
You really do not understand the concept of university - learning the curriculum is only 50% of what it's about. The rest is networking with your future colleagues and bosses, learning to learn, access to various interpretations of the curriculum, access to and collaboration with people well-established in their respective field, etc.

Being a NEET who sits at home reading the books is nothing.
>>
>>7726829
>Being a NEET who sits at home reading the books is nothing.

Kek.
>>
>>7726829
The only thing that matters is knowledge and the use you're capable of making of it.
Everything else is worthless.
>>
>>7726838
Almost right, but still wrong.

The only thing that matters is your application of your knowledge. Nothing else matters.
>>
>>7726849
I've probably formulated my sentence wrong. The acquisition of knowledge and your ability to making use of it should be correct.
>>
>>7726829
This line of thinking is very simple-minded.
Let me put it into context.
A mentor-student relationship is rather demeaning, isn't it? Quite a few of the professors I came into contact with reveled in the presence of my intellect–they often asked me were I received my education and why I wasn't enrolled in their class.
Oh, the look on their faces when I told them I dropped out of high school in my third year. Yes, I dropped out, but I never stopped learning. The restrictions of a formal curriculum were utterly limiting. I went at my own pace, and that pace has done me well.
You should do the same.
>>
>>7726825
i like this emerging meme
godspeed little meme
>>
>>7726864
This is no joke, friend.
My father was quite the advocate for the mysticism of my name and I do not take kindly to those who regard it as jest.
>>
>>7726862
>tfw dropped out in 10th grade and people are honestly surprised when I say so
>>
>>7726862
>A mentor-student relationship is rather demeaning, isn't it?

Can't say I've ever thought that way.
>>
>>7726877
I'll go into more detail, I suppose.
I've observed a number of students in my travels who viewed their professors as "the word." They, in fact, took their professors teachings as fact more often than not. Their professor's interpretation of the classics were, in turn, the students interpretation of the classics. I was surprised to see this since I was sitting in on top-university classes. Nonetheless, the "brilliant" students were parroting their professors just about word-for-word.
I've always viewed a humanities path as a much more liberating (no joke intended) education. You don't regurgitate your teachings word-for-word in a humanities education, one would suppose. Though, one, more often than not, would be wrong in their thinking.
Like I've stated, I've come across some sensible students. These students, sadly, are few and far between though. It's the sad state of affairs that comes alongside the desire for a high mark.
I don't want to seem like I want you all to parrot me. My thinking, though, is a proper foundation to form yourselves fully and profoundly.
>>
>>7726825
>>7726871
ehehehehehehehehehehe
>>
>>7726896
It seems rather demeaning to study your philosophy.
>>
>>7726619
Which uni?
>>
>>7726904
Where does it come across as that?
I'm merely making a suggestion of what to follow. There are no marks at stake here, only your life. Think of your future and the liberation of learning at a much quicker pace than your peers–those brilliant individuals confined to a university education.
I can certainly say that dropping out of school was the best decision that I ever made. Though if you think you cannot handle this lifestyle then, by all means, abstain from doing so.
>>
>>7726926
What do you do for money?

I honestly would not give a fuck about going to school if I managed some stable income with my current devices.
>>
>>7726926
Cs get Degrees, so only a fool would drop out
>>
>>7726626
How could you expect to keep an army/military/authority if you don't have the means to pay them?
>>
I will never be this succesful, fuck. 18 and it's too late now. When I was younger I wasted my time reading and exploring music and my GPA suffered.

best of luck though, man.
>>
>>7726967
Think of yourself in 4 years time. What would you wish you had done? Then do it.
>>
>>7726967
i just got into ivy league phd, and i dropped out of sixth grade and spent literally my entire adolescence playing video games

don't let your dreams be dreams
>>
>>7726948
A job? That's a difficult question as I'm quite the traveling worker. City-to-city, job-to-job, I've made my way across the eastern US working a number of odd positions–anything to keep to my studies.
However, as pitiful as my current life may be, I'm only moving up. As I've said before, remember this name: Serendipity Lewis. It's only a matter of a few years before everyone in the United States will be aware of the prowess they hold.

>>7726950
Ah, another caught in the wake of their marks. Forming your own regimen would do you folk well.
>>
>>7726974
That's very impressive.. Where did you get your motivation? I'm sorry if this is a redundant question but I always wonder if there is a certain place to draw from, or if it's completely relevant.
>>
File: Dirty-White-Trash.jpg (119 KB, 600x504) Image search: [Google]
Dirty-White-Trash.jpg
119 KB, 600x504
>>7726994
I got my motivation from the university of the stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
>>
>>7726954
Pay them in resources and protection?
>>
>>7726950
This.
You're not legally obligated to give jobs your grades nor is the university legally give out your transcript if they ask. You have to give permission for them to give it your employer. A friend of a friend did incredibly poorly on school, but was a smooth talker and could make anyone like him and got a decent management position at a company in Seattle.
>>
>>7727010
>protection from themselves
kek
get some real world experience before you make mental predictions on thugs
>>
>>7727022
What are you taking about, m8?
>>
>>7727019
As someone who works in HR - people with good grades almost always state their GPA, so it's kind of an obvious omission. Not that school grades have much relevancy on actual work performance outside medicine/law/accounting.
>>
>>7726994
partly loving what you do so that you become genuinely good at it and beat out all the the lazy people who treat university like a daycare centre where the bare minimum is fine

partly reminding yourself that even when you become better than your competitors, you're still a big fish in a small pond, and that the "mediocrities" at the next level up will still destroy you if you don't work hard

partly reminding yourself that the price of failure is working the next 30 years at a 9-5 job

partly a willingness to tolerate and learn to thrive in academic bureaucracy and networking, often ugly and nepotistic but part of the life
>>
>>7726619
let me guess you are not white nor male?
>>
>>7726864

If OP anon is also the fedora shitposter, I salute you. This is really good stuff.

>Serendipity Lewis

now my name for my dong
>>
File: 1455500087202.jpg (201 KB, 961x750) Image search: [Google]
1455500087202.jpg
201 KB, 961x750
>>7727045
>>
File: janet-yellen-386.jpg (102 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
janet-yellen-386.jpg
102 KB, 1200x900
>>7726626
I know that serious discussion here is pretty much impossible, but all this dept bubble talk is rubbish. It does not matter how much debt a country has as long as the debt grows at a slower rate than GDP does. I

t sounds stupid and really kind of is, but if that condition is met a country can keep taking out more debt to cover the payments on the old debt indefinitely. For instance, the debt the United States accumulated during World War II has never truly been payed off, but has simply existed long enough that higher GDP and inflation have made it largely irrelevant.
>>
>>7727053
Tss why's she yellin is she angry or somethin
>>
>>7727053
>>7727053
Fuck, I've only read or listened to the radio about her. I never knew she was such a qt3.14.
>>
File: 1450453909262.jpg (184 KB, 701x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450453909262.jpg
184 KB, 701x1000
>>7727053
but GDP can't increase infinitely
>>
>>7727092
Well that is literally the foundation of modern economics so if that fucks up we've got bigger problems.
>>
File: fuckmen.png (1 MB, 965x855) Image search: [Google]
fuckmen.png
1 MB, 965x855
>>7727051
>>
>>7726619
>Queens
>>
>>7727092
you dont know how economics works do you
>>
File: Photo-A-Montreal-Skyline-4920.jpg (235 KB, 1543x771) Image search: [Google]
Photo-A-Montreal-Skyline-4920.jpg
235 KB, 1543x771
being an american paying one third of what a top 25 education would cost in the states is awesome
head north
>>
>>7726619
Queens is p nice. The sjw shit is there but contained. The cancer had not metastasized yet when I was there last.
>>
This is the prime example of a cuck thread for cucked up Humanishits cuckbois. How dumb can one be to actually pay for a piece of paper that tells the world that you're a dumb guy who paid for a piece of paper that tells the wolrd that you've mastered a fucking hobby and paid big money for it? And for what? To work as an enlightened McDonald's clerk? Holy cow, it's delusions of grandeur mixed with plain stupidity, you jests!

Hah, I'm so glad I've dodged that shit and went straight into STEM and now I'm a fully fulfilled man with a great job and peer respect and US$ 120k in my paycheck.

I'll live a good life at you're expense.
>>
File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (48 KB, 1140x712) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
48 KB, 1140x712
>>7727206
I don't even know what this is parodying

Is it everything?
>>
>>7727139
>he trusts mainstream economics

You can't have indefinite growth in light of finite resources, my dude.
>>
>>7727053

Thinking like this leads to the ruin of nations.

It's clear America's debt situation relies 100% on massive future growth, but the thing is if there's an economic downswing there's going to be a huge crash. And guess what, shit's stalled the fuck out right now, the former is incredibly unlikely in the near future and the latter becomes more and more likely every year.

It's also incredibly immoral to live above your means off of debt that your children will be forced to pay off (with added interest).
>>
>>7727222
The digital frontier is infinite. You can have infinite eBullshit in the eEconomy but problems will occur if too many people decide to buy yachts at the same time.
>>
Speaking as a Kinstonian who went to U of T just to get out of that town, I suggest you hang urself in City Park, or jump off the Wolfe Island ferry in winter.
>>
>>7727101
Capitalism, you mean. Fortunately, it doesn't encompass the whole field of economics.
>>
>>7726619
nice

I recommend saving the money because this will be the last time of your life when you'll be paid to do something
>>
Kingston is NOT /lit/core.
>>
>>7726772
Buttblasted high school dropout detected

A structured education is the best way to guide study and immerse yourself in learning. You're in a facility with professors that have read and researched what you're reading more than you ever had at your age. It's a space that allows one not to bounce isolated ideas inside the comfort of their minds, and it gives more perspective unless you see on five dimensions or something.
>>
>>7726896
>Their professor's interpretation of the classics were, in turn, the students interpretation of the classics. I was surprised to see this since I was sitting in on top-university classes. Nonetheless, the "brilliant" students were parroting their professors just about word-for-word.
You go to university so that you precisely *not* think that way. But you don't know that, since you built your straw man of academia from outside of it, and now you can't let go.
>>
>>7726626
The Servile State bro
>>
File: cosmos.jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
cosmos.jpg
5 KB, 275x183
>be 22
>live in Brooklyn
>studying lit at NYU while working part-time at a library
>dating a qt sensitive arts major
>both vegan
>regularly attend readings by local poets and authors
>have met tao lin two times
>take xanax and lean almost every weekend
>about to publish my first chapbook with a small independent publisher
>semi-ironically autistic

Q: Could I be any more contemporary? I seriously think I've reached the peak of contemporary culture in terms of my lifestyle.
>>
>>7726980
>However, as pitiful as my current life may be, I'm only moving up

Americans: Just temporarily embarrassed millionaires
>>
>>7726619
how the hell did you get a 40k/year scholarship?
>>
>>7727222
>he buys into the finite resources meme
>>
>>7728817
>in terms of my lifestyle

this is when i realised it was bait
>>
File: enochthumbs.png (172 KB, 478x478) Image search: [Google]
enochthumbs.png
172 KB, 478x478
>>7728863
Zhe's black.
>>
>>7729103
underr8d post
>>
>>7726619
So, like every person who studies at a regular university in Europe?
>>
>>7728817
>two times
>not twice
kill yourself
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.