[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are books that would inspire me to conquer my social phobia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: KsoqPClw.jpg (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
KsoqPClw.jpg
18 KB, 256x256
What are books that would inspire me to conquer my social phobia?
>>
>>7726485

>conquer my social phobia

Cutting off anime might help.
>>
>Conquer social anxiety
>Am exactly the same mute I was before except without the anxiety part

Don't fucking bother, lol.
>>
How to Win Friends and Influence People is a good start.

Memelords may talk shit about the book but pretty much all of it is legit if you read closely, has nothing to do with being a kissup or a pretender. He straight up says people will know if you're just bullshitting to fake interest.
>>
I guess you could try some self help books and see if those help you. I know /lit/ looks down upon those books but you never know, they might help.

I'm recommending you:
- The Flinch, a short and free PDF with some decent advice. It has some silly stuff like "break your stuff and be free" but if you're not a retard you can just filter the dumb things out.

- CBT for Dummies, maybe you have a way of thinking that holds you back from being social or in your case makes you afraid of social interaction. This book will give you tips, advice and also assignments. It's really dumbed down but still has solid advice in it.

You can also try "No More Mr. Nice Guy" but I haven't read that myself either. Read some OK stuff about it but can't tell you anything about it from personal experience.

If you think that you are too Patrician for this you should hang yourself first because a true Patrician wouldn't have social anxiety.

But you can start looking into Stoicism and Epicurianism. Read some Diogenes maybe and learn how to not give a fuck.
>>
>>7726572
>a true Patrician wouldn't have social anxiety
I don't even know what a patrician is anymore.
>>
>>7726572
CBT for dummies? They are finally teaching morons how to engage in Cock and Ball Torture?
>>
there's no book that can help you with that...

get a job that forces u to interact with people every day. sales or political campaigning are good because u get performance bonuses to motive you even more, but working education, fitness (aka personal trainer, mma coach, etc) or even retail should all do the trick really.
>>
Try looking into digital humanities and embrace your flaws OP. I remember Digital Humanities dad and how he helped me out with some well needed real talk.
>>
>>7727245
Not horrible advice.

Since I began working as a teacher my social phobia has become much more tolerable. I still deal with a high level of anxiety, particularly when in new environments and/or dealing with people with whom I'm unfamiliar, but I am able to manage it much better.
>>
>>7726515
Then you didn't conquer your social anxiety. Anyone can be a hero inside their little comfort zone, 4chan, inside their head. Stoic detachment is the easy part.

It's when the spotlight is on you and the whole crowd stands up and waits for you to make a move. And you do, balls to the wall. That's when you beat SA.
>>
>>7727653
I did though, I have no issue public speaking or approaching women or anything.
It just didn't change my personality.
I thought that once I got over it I'd be a charming and outgoing guy, but I've discovered that prediction wasn't true, I'll always be quiet and reserved, which I feel is for the best.
>>
>>7727659
I know how you feel. I still think getting over social anxiety improved my quality of life, just not as much as I expected.
>>
"Man the fuck up and stop jacking off to anime" by Thomas J Growapair
>>
>>7727659
Don't take it too personally but what if your reserved personality stems from being afraid of getting rejected for the things you really feel? Would you describe yourself as a smooth talker, player with women? Do you ever feel like you are unnecessarily nice? Did you ever tell a bitch to get fucked?

Yeah I'm projecting but I'm also genuinely curious, given that your hormones and libido are intact and so on. Why? Because I'm just like you.
>>
Take an improv class.

It allows you to fail repeatedly in unplanned, no consequence, instantly disappearing social situations in an unquestionably supportive environment.

Just Level 1. Not like you have to learn improv. But spending a few months in the struggle might help you break that mental barrier you have. You might realize meaningless day to day conversations aren't so scary.
>>
>>7726485
siddhartha.

learn every one has to take the journey, that the journey is yours alone, that you can't use anyone elses journey to substitute your own. that you will forget and remember.

that life is magic so there is no time for anxiety
>>
>>7727693
my favorite novella! can't wait for part 2 "no ur gf isnt a website, get that fox tail buttplug out of your asshole"

early reviews are all saying good things!
>>
File: IMG_2240.jpg (495 KB, 1219x1564) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2240.jpg
495 KB, 1219x1564
>>7726485

"What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula, its short and can be read in a day or two. You can also find a PDF online but be sure to read the expanded and revised edition.

This may sound like really stupid or unhelpful advice but when you study Buddhism and contemplate it you eventually get a point where if you decide to, you can apply it to everyday life and with practice this can eliminate social phobia or make it negligible as long as you continue to put effort into it. When you understand the notion that there is no self or soul that exists and that any belief that something along these lines exist are inherently false and illusionary then even if you don't totally accept this viewpoint you can decide for a day or in certain situations to proceed from that assumption and to be continuously aware of it. When you do that if you put enough effort into it and are mindful enough all feelings of social phobia fall away and don't bother you. Its difficult and sort of a mind-fuck but if you can get it through your head that there is no self that exists you will see that there is no reason why you should be having any sort of fear or phobia about any sort of social interaction and at that point the phobia just stops happening. You don't have to believe in Buddhism or be a Buddhist either to do this btw, its just about engaging with the teachings intellectually and applying useful parts of it when they are applicable.
>>
A book can't teach you something you have to go do anyway.

You're not good looking, or successful, and nobody cares about you at the moment. What is there to be socially phobic about? If you're friendly within reason to strangers and keep a positive attitude good things will happen to you. You can't make eye contact, smile, say please, thank you, have a nice day, you too, how has your day been?

It's literally the easiest thing in the world to do. If the person you are talking to is interested, they will instantly smile back and start talking to you in a friendly way. If they are not interested, they will not make eye contact, murmur a response or look down, and generally be distant.

What could be possibly written in a book that once you read you go "AHA! I GOT IT!" absolutely nothing. You just want an excuse to not have to do anything about your psychological problems, which probably stem from terrible parents and no teacher ever caring enough to straighten you out onto a better path. It's sad and pathetic that this is how our empire fades into dust, with neet manchildren like you unwilling to even try and pass on their subpar watered down genes.
>>
>>7729554
I second this senpai
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.