[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell happened to young adult literature? It turned from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Enders Game.jpg (69 KB, 290x475) Image search: [Google]
Enders Game.jpg
69 KB, 290x475
What the hell happened to young adult literature? It turned from "books for 13-17 year olds that adults could also enjoy" to "books for children". Not only is most of it bad, it's so vanilla and safe.
>>
Most of the best writers for it died or moved on.

Now the kids who read nothing but YA are adults writing YA, so it has no real elevation or depth.
>>
>Ender's Game
>vanilla and safe
u wot m8
>>
>>7726597
Ender's Game fits in the former category, back when YA was good; look at good YA fiction of the 80s and 90s, they had sex, swearing, violence, they'd never be labeled YA by today's pussy standards.
>>
>>7726616
Is ender's game YA? most of its sequels certainly are not.

I mean he kills 2 kids, and an alien race! (I don't know how to spoiler text)
>>
>>7726637
>Is ender's game YA?
I would say it and shadow are.
>>
Twilight happened. This board doesn't talk about the damage Twilight has done to the world.
It's not just like "OMG POP MUSIC IS SO DUMB". No, Twilight absolutely fucking destroyed what young adults think books are. It destroyed minds. The most degenerative book of all time.
>>
>>7726653
ye probly
you ever read the Alvin Maker series? Holy hell that was some garbage.

The man injects so much mormon horseshit it's unreadable, and this is coming from someone who's half mormon
>>
What does /sci/ think of Golden Compass et al.?
>>
>>7726667
All of Orson Scott Card's books that aren't in the Enderverse are garbage. One of the later shadow books has some really strong Mormon themes - the gay evil scientist who married a woman he isn't even attracted to because the only reason to live is to have lots of children comes to mind.
>>
File: devil pepe.jpg (13 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
devil pepe.jpg
13 KB, 320x320
>>7726678
>mfw Mormons
>>
>>7726682
Don't shittalk Mormons, I live in Calgary, one of the few areas with a really high Mormon population outside of Utah, a good quarter of my coworkers are practicing Mormons - I also live south of Fish Creek where the most Mormons live. They are the nicest, most generous people I've ever met in my life.
>>
>>7726692
They also have a strange amount of closeted homosexuals among them.

I blame the strange obsession with Disney movies and Broadway.
>>
>>7726705
>I blame the strange obsession with Disney movies and Broadway
Nearly all Mormons love musicals, I have no clue why, do you have any idea?
>>
File: 1453345959005.jpg (43 KB, 500x478) Image search: [Google]
1453345959005.jpg
43 KB, 500x478
>>7726705
>>7726707
>>7726682
People love to shit on them for some reason. My Jewish professor loves to knock them for their insular nepotism, and secretive machinations, which i though was very humorously ironic.

I told him I was formerly Mormon, and that if we had propagandized our victimization as much as "certain ethnic groups", it might be taboo to criticize us as it is for "certain ethnic groups"

He was pretty cool about it afterword, though.

>>7726705
what are you basing this on?
>>
>>7726724
>what are you basing this on?
Not him, but homosexuality isn't cool in most Mormon families, so it makes sense that so many gays would be closeted. They also love family entertainment as many do not consume any entertainment with blood, swearing, and especially sexual content; I know it's only anecdotal, but most Mormons I know never use foul language and are offended by it.
>>
>>7726724
Is your question referring to my belief in closeted Mormons, or their love for Disney and Broadway?
Because I can tell you honestly, there's a lot to base the Disney fixation on. I think Disney movies represent 'wholesome American values' (not to me) and Mormon people eat that up, you can't deny.
I personally think the hate against Mormons is unfounded. It usually comes from Christians who I think are jealous that they're being out-Christianed.

As far as the closeted homosexuals go, that's just my gaydar. I've met a few Mormon guys, and over half of them triggered my gaydar. It's not beyond the realm of belief to assume that many are gay men just trying to hold a family down. I find that pretty respectable.
>>
>>7726759
I think that a of values seen as "gay" are more accepted in Mormon culture, while overly "straight" characteristics are less so. Being connected to one's family, being soft spoken, respectful, dressing well, not using bad words, avoidance of degenerate substances and activities, many of these can be interpreted as gay by some.
>>
>>7726768
What kind of retard considers those virtues you listed as "gay"?
>>
>>7726791
Have you been outside recently?

Half my office thought I was gay before I got a girlfriend, hell some of them probably still do.
>>
>>7726797
gays are NOT
-family oriented
-soft spoken
-avoiding bad words
-prone to avoiding degeneracy
-non-drug users
>>
>>7726808
Tell that to the rednecks I work with.
>>
>>7726814
maybe your gays are different than our California "fuck you dad im gonna suck SOO many cocks!" gays
>>
>>7726707
It has a reputation for being "wholesome" (i.e. mostly white people) entertainment
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.