[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /lit/ hate this guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: Eric.jpg (166 KB, 976x1356) Image search: [Google]
Eric.jpg
166 KB, 976x1356
Why does /lit/ hate this guy?
>>
>>7726190
because reddit likes him
>>
>>7726190
Because /lit/ only read animal farm and 1984 and decided it was not that great and everyone else creams their pants over those books. Ironically, if /lit/ would only read the rest of his works they would start to like him again.
>>
>>7726213
hahahaha are you actually gonna pretend his other stuff is better than 1984? 1984 was his peak and it was mediocre at best
>>
>>7726252
Orwell's non-fiction is better than his fiction though. Homage to Catalonia is his best book imo.
>>
>>7726272
yes his non fiction was better, but his other novels are garbage and he's not that good of an author overall.
>>
I liked his short story about murdering an elephant. 1984 is ok.
>>
>>7726252

>doesn't like Coming Up For Air
>>
>>7726305
>Not Reading the Road to Wiggin Pier
>Not reading Shooting an Elephant

Homie homie homie...
>>
>>7726305
Orwell has been probably the only English author to explain the plight of the working class in a candid manner that does not make the poor seem patronised. Only Orwell could get away with saying the lower classes smell.

Experience was Orwell's thing. That's why his non-fiction is better but why people do not rate Burmese Days so highly I have no idea. Maybe the ending follows too much in the Victorian style but showing the complex issue of Imperialism in a negative light was ground-breaking at the time.
>>
if Orwell was alive he'd be ardently right wing tbqh
>>
>>7726272
>Homage to Catalonia
do i need to read about the Spanish civil war to enjoy that?
>>
>>7726190
Like most hate on this board, it stems from envy.
>>
has anyone read keep the aspidistra flying?
>>
>>7726305
you poor thing
>>
I like 1984 a lot and I don't really get why it's pretty well hated here
>>
>>7726213
His essay Politics and the English Language was what proved his hackery to me. 90% drivel on subjects he barely understands.
>>
Here's another question... If Orwell really is so mediocre, why are 1984 and Animal Farm so popular?
>>
>>7727794
no, just understand the appeal of warm buttered toast
>>
>>7727785
no he wouldn't
>>
>>7726190
I read animal farm and 1984 and found them ok (desu they gain a lot of popularity from suiting western government perspectives, and thus being on school curriculums). Then I read homage to Catalonia and it was hugely better than those two. A really fantastic book. Orwells prose isn't particular exciting though, and I suppose one could only really enjoy his books if one was interested in the topics.
>>
>>7728072
yes, he would.
>>
His essays are god tier

He had one essay about checking out a mine, to see how miners worked, and he described it so vivdly it was almost like you could feel their pain
>>
>>7728078
>>7728072
Quite the riveting debate
>>
>>7728053
do you think 50 shades of grey is the single greatest novel of our time?
>>
>>7726190
because he's taught in high school and they can't detach the author from his legacy

Orwell wrote great essays and good novels. Only the worst kind of aesthete denies that 1984 is a brilliant little book.
>>
>>7730041
>comparing 50SOG to 1984 and Animal Farm
>>
>>7727801
yah. whaddya think?
>>
>>7730138
>implying they're substantially distinct
>>
>>7727785
>>7728072
>>7728078
>I have no particular love for the idealised "worker" as he appears in the bourgeois Communist's mind, but when I see an actual flesh-and-blood worker in conflict with his natural enemy, the policeman, I do not have to ask myself which side I am on.
George Orwell would've stood against fascism as it arises on the righrwing or the leftwing of the spectrum, in any form, and there's another quote I can't find or recall where he anticipates its next manifestation as an excessive moderation of free speech because of hurt feelings. Neither the rightwing nor the leftwing dare fully ever claim George Orwell for their own because there is too much in his writing that can be used to criticise them both.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.