[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is theology dead? Most living philosophers appear to be Atheists.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
Is theology dead? Most living philosophers appear to be Atheists.
Can anyone recommend some books on contemporary theology, please?
>>
>>7724352
oh my god, Dick! what happened? no pun intended anywhere
>>
>>7724352
Jesus of Nazareth trilogy by Joseph Ratzinger and Scholastic Metaphysics and Scholastic Essays by Edward Feser.
>>
>>7724352
Theology is pretty much undergoing the same fate as astrology.

It's still there but intelligent people pay no mind to it.
>>
>>7724375
What you tried to say is Christianity is no longer the cultural force it used to be and is being replaced by another religion called identity politics and theology is being replaced by gender studies and sociology.
>>
>>7724379
Not him but I don't think that's what he tried to say.
>>
>>7724387
True, what he actually tried to say was *tips fedora*
>>
>>7724379
No, intelligent people don't pay identity politics, gender studies and sociology any mind either.

The plebs on the other hand, that's another story.

Let's not forget that 90% of the world still believes in sky daddy.
>>
>>7724379
*tips fedora*

Ah yes, those evil ess-jay-dubs are ruining academia with their dogma.
>>
>>7724402
>*tips fedora*

Talk about anti-intellectualism, yikes.
>>
9 replies in and this thread already went down the shitter. Godammit, /lit/
>>
>>7724352
William Lane Craig is the big boy of Christian apologetics. The Kalam cosmological argument is probably the most convincing thing still debated.
>>
>>7724397
>intelligent people don't pay ... sociology any mind either.
Rude tbch
>>
I don't know but check these.
>>
>>7724444
Noice
>>
Read René Girard, it's really theology but it's the closer I can do you for you.
>>
>>7724402
They are.
>>7724397
Intellegent people are only those who agree with me, okay
>>7724424
He is entry level and I don't think he is very good. Okay for people without a big interest in theology and philosphy, but that's it.
>>7724460
Could you tell me a bit more about him?
>>
Zizek raps theology in "The Monstrosity of Christ".
>>
>>7724482
>Intellegent people are only those who agree with me, okay

Commonly said by delusional theists who can't even spell intelligent who think they aren't stupid as fuck.
>>
>>7724486
Okay enlightened one
>>
>>7724485
>reading žīžĕķ
wew lad
>>
>>7724352
>Can anyone recommend some books on contemporary theology, please?
>>
>>7724482
He's a French anthropologist and philosopher and he is known for his mimetic desire theory. You should maybe try to read Violence and the Sacred or Job, the Victim of His People. It's really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNkSBy5wWDk
>>
That's a sad Dawkins.
>>
>>7724402
is there a reason why you scoffed off a very visible phenomenon?
>>
Teilhard de Chardin form France, a priest and philosopher.
>>
>theology dead
>almost every modern marxist dabbles in Political Theology more than into the works of Marx himself
>>
>>7724444
check'd
>>
>>7724879
kek what
elaborate
>>
>>7724352
Dawkins attempted to enlighten a couple of black individuals on religion
>>
>>7725149
Seems like our black equals from the continent with the greatest culture ever can't take criticism.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 986x392) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 986x392
>>7724402
>>7724397
>sky daddy

essentially reddit the posts
>>
File: 1437931341001.jpg (66 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
1437931341001.jpg
66 KB, 600x412
>>
>>7725487
what an educated man
>>
>>7725641
p.s. there are no absolute truths
>>
>>7725487
Was this in his PhD thesis?
>>
>>7724352

You know, I'm pretty sure that if you were to investigate/ask basically any major religious organization, they could point you toward living expositors of the tenets and philosophy of their religion (people a literary step up from "preachers"), and people who are versed in the arguments, having written books and commentaries on same. These, too, are theologians.

If we are honest, this would include newer religions/cults. But if you just really want Muh History or to read an college-system-vetted academic, consult the rest of this thread I guess.
>>
>>7725692
Memeology.
Not kidding, he invented memes.
>>
>>7724444
only worthwile post in thread.
checked
>>
>>7725144
Zizek, Agamben and a pleora of other living marxists use the political theology paradigm popularized by the nazi Carl Schmitt in their works. The Frankfurt School are also guilty of this, especially Benjamin.
>>
You don't need any books on contemporary theology. God finished everything you need 2000 years ago, in the Bible.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.