[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
KING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: GOAT.jpg (18 KB, 660x360) Image search: [Google]
GOAT.jpg
18 KB, 660x360
>it's a /lit/ shits on the greatest storyteller in American history thread
>>
generic predictable trash for nonintellectuals
>>
>>7724196
really the McDonalds of contemporary writers
>>
The fact that Kubrick wasted his time on this piece of trash is a little sad. At least he made something half decent, but not even Kubrick come away unscathed from it.
>>
I agree we do meme DFW too much but we still love him
>>
>>7724227
This phrases is parroted so much it has become meaningless
>>
I would literally rather read Dean Koontz or some other trashy airport thriller than this hack. At least I wouldn't be reading something trying to appear to be literature when it's pulp
>>
>>7724246
Wrong. The meaning is still the same and is still relevant.
King is a hack that produces an endless stream of low-grade material that is constantly consumed (mindlessly) by the masses. All the while giving him millions of dollars.
>>
>>7724196
Formulaic hackery
+ 2 spoopy 4 me
>>
Was at bookshop today. King has a new novel out again, the guy just can't stop.
>>
Koontz is better.
>>
Genuine question, who does horror better? Preferably the eerie madness kind instead of the "oh there's a killer running around lol" kind.
>>
>>7724286
HP Lovecraft
Thomas Ligotti
even Poe...
>>
File: H.P.-Lovecraft.jpg (133 KB, 288x373) Image search: [Google]
H.P.-Lovecraft.jpg
133 KB, 288x373
>>7724286
>>
>>7724289
>>7724308
Those are boring desu
>>
>>7724196
>storytelling

a lesser art in the sphere of literature
>>
>>7724270
I'm assuming that you use 'consumed' in the context of King's writing as a product- if you have read or seen a single interview with the man, you cannot tell me that he writes for purely financial reasons. There is some degree of artistic expression in his writing, and it comes through to varying degrees of success, because his art is horror- a genre, and genre fiction has become a synonym for 'trash.'

I'm using artistic expression in the context of it and financial gain being mutually exclusive endeavors- which I don't believe is the case, but it seems to be the popular opinion on /lit/. Trying to combine and hence balance them them results in varying degrees of success, because of that assumption, which is our fault not King's.

I'm assuming that's everyone's problem with him, that he's not a 'le artist.' He is, but his art is what many would consider to be 'trash.'
>>
>>7724421
Adding to that, I think pure artistic expression has to be free from the notion that it needs to achieve something- that it is 'good' or 'bad.'
>>
>literally writes about evil cars and possessed typewriters

It's like Goosebumps for adults.
>>
>>7724431
Doesn't mean it can't be fun.
>>
>>7724634
no one said it cant be fun.

goosebumps is fun.
getting drunk is fun too though, and masturbating, watching television, doing drugs, eating food, pooping, etc.

but pooping has no literary merit
>>
>>7724662
Oh, I agree. I'm not saying King is a great writer or something - King himself is well aware that most of what he writes is only good as entertainment.
>>
>>7724196
>he's such a great storyteller
This is the most retarded thing i've ever heard people say. It's like people are afraid to say bad things about him and just go halfway.
How can you be a good storyteller and a bad writer at the same time? They are quite literally the same thing.
>>
>>7724712
By having interesting plots and generic prose?
>>
>>7724718

He doesn't have interesting plots. He may start with an intriguing subject, but most of the time they lead to the dumbest situations and a terrible anti-climax ending.
>>
>>7724718
>>7724755

Also I don't really know what "generic prose" means but Stephen King doesn't really write like a text book if that's what you mean. Despite his genuinely helpful advice in On Writing, his prose is slipshod, and awkwardly written. Also his attempts at stream of conciousness are, I admit, sometimes effective at getting you spooked out, because you're in the character's mind in a spooky situation, but most of the time unwarranted because King's characters are either ridiculous cartoons or dull as a rock and there's nothing interesting going on in their minds. I don't expect them to be as deep as a Faulkner character, but they should feel real enough and I rarely get that from a King story.
>>
>>7724755
Most people would disagree.
>>
>>7724718
Then he has good ideas, he doesn't convey them in a good way either.
You literally wouldn't call anyone else a 'good storyteller' for having interesting ideas.
>>
>>7724196
>greatest storyteller in American
well,it's not like murricans have produced anything wothwhile literary speaking
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.