[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone here disappointed when they read a novel described
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: ignatius_chan.jpg (122 KB, 631x612) Image search: [Google]
ignatius_chan.jpg
122 KB, 631x612
Is anyone here disappointed when they read a novel described as "funny", but it turns out to use really lame humor?

White Noise, Infinite Jest, The Corrections and Gravity's Rainbow were all terribly unfunny to me. Sitcom writing is funnier.

Catch 22's dry absurdity and Dunce's ridiculous protagonist were funny, though. These are the only two novels I've ever found funny. I've always been meaning to try Wodehouse.

I think describing a book as funny is pretty pointless, since everyone has a different sense of humor.
>>
Infinite Jest wasn't supposed to be funny.
>>
>>7723654
yet it was full of jokes
>>
evelyn waugh

also the unconsoled by ishiguro
>>
>>7723654
It has an odd duality to it, some consider it to be very depressing, and others consider it to be hilarious.

I don't feel as if the intent is as important as the reaction.
>>
The Corrections is shit. Good critics have panned Franzen for essentially producing a cheap imitation of a Simpsons episode in book form.
>>
>>7723647
the bible is the funniest book i've read
>>
>>7723660

They weren't jokes. Too sincere for you, I guess : /
>>
>>7723647
What didn't you like about Gravity's Rainbow? Shit was UPROARIOUS. More laffs per page than pretty much anything else I've ever read

I also think Catch-22 and Dunce are very funny
>>
>>7723673
jokes can be sincere, has your mind been rotted by irony or what
>>
>>7723647
american psycho if you are into black humour
>>
>>7723676
the only thing funny about pynchon is his lack of talent
>>
>>7723665

I remember I found the video they watched in the college ("you go, girl!") kinda funny, actually... but it was a tiny oasis in a vast, humorless desert.
>>
>>7723654
Woman getting her heart stolen by a tranny prostitute and everyone assuming it was a lovers quarrel was pretty funny.
>>
The only laugh out loud Pynchon book is Vineland.
>>
>>7723654
It's nice that you watched a DFW interview. The book as a whole might not supposed to be funny, but there are absolutely parts that are.
Not even going to get into the death of the author rabbit hole.
>>
>American "Humour"
>>
>>7723719

I can't help but notice your insincere tone. Not surprised you didn't get it.
>>
>>7723727
americans spell it 'humor'
also
>using double inverted commas
the americanisation is real
>>
>>7723728
k
>>
File: dream-movie.png (901 KB, 1292x774) Image search: [Google]
dream-movie.png
901 KB, 1292x774
>>
Confederacy of Dunces makes me fucking cry every time I give it a read
Toole didn't make it guys, he fucking killed himself, I've never felt so connected to an author or character, and it all ends in depression and death, FUCK
>>
I hear you but Gravity's Rainbow is absolutely hysterical
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.