[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go to a top 20 university to study English Literature >it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 12
>go to a top 20 university to study English Literature
>it's actually just a gender studies degree
>>
>>7723045
It is if you make it so.
When you select your classes you have to specifically avoid any modern lit 20th century onward. Also avoid electives designed to interpret old texts through a contemporary lens.

If you see a class that is 100% dedicated to a single based author or book then you ought to choose that class.
>>
All university courses are far-left indoctrination fampai. It should've been pretty much expected just going into it. Except for the STEM majors *<:^)
>>
>>7723045
Ehhhh any of the humanities are cancer these days. We need a good war. Make people appreciate just being alive again.
>>
File: starcucks.png (10 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
starcucks.png
10 KB, 224x225
is this where I can order my vanilla machiato?
>>
File: 1455941853191.png (537 KB, 732x743) Image search: [Google]
1455941853191.png
537 KB, 732x743
>You will never attend quaint university in a small American town
>You will never receive a high quality education
>You will forever live in a progressive hell
>>
>>7723045
i've noticed that gender studies sjw's logic lines cross over each other all the time. just out-liberal them for effect.they're either patriachial shit lords who enable black people to wear redskins jerseys and muslims to cover women. or they're racist.
>>
>>7723045
>go to top 20 university to study English Literature
>it's actually just a Christian theology degree
>>
>>7723230
We live in an age where you can teach your self.
>>
>>7723511
Teaching yourself doesn't have any of the romance I crave.

I want to be taught by an old man in a tweed jacket.
I want to make life long friends who I can debate with.
I want to meet and seduce a timid bomb shell.
I want to grow old and die surrounded by my 12 children after years of unsuccessful writing and coffee consumption.

/autism
>>
>>7723511
>We live in an age where you can teach your self.

This is what uneducated pseuds actually believe.
>>
is this a meme or is it actually true? is literature study really loaded to the gills with critical theory?
>>
>>7723524
I'm at a university and the only one of these that applies is the guy in a tweed jacket.
>>7723532
Not in the UK afaik. Not from what I have heard personally from American universities, but who knows.
>>
>>7723524
This. I mostly care about the aesthetics. That's why I'm deeply unhappy that I went to a college built in the seventies and got a stem degree.
>>
>>7723531
This is what many great authors believed. Ray Bradbury for example didn't go to school- he spent hours every day at the library instead, and look where it got him.
>>
>>7723201
Second, but I'll go one further: look into faculty interests and ask around. New Criticism? Close readings of modernist poetry? Pretty easy to sidestep. Also helps to have your own critical disposition developed so you can justify glossing the "gender studies" stuff if that really bothers you. As for a seminar discussion though, best keep your fedora on and mouth shut lest you see a SJW hambeast open her mouth and provoke your RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7723532
They're a bunch of pussies when it comes to theory. Yeah, they'll vaguely reference stuff, but not really in undergrad. Not much even in an MA.
>>
>>7723575
Not far.
>>
>>7723595
Farther than most. And that's only one of many examples.
>>
File: melville.jpg (132 KB, 667x872) Image search: [Google]
melville.jpg
132 KB, 667x872
>>7723531

don't resent autodidacts it's not their fault that you're a fucking pleb
>>
>>7723577
>New Criticism
One of the most important critical movements of the 20th century. It's also rigidly formalist and focused on aesthetics as opposed to social context, so maybe you meant post-structuralism or critical theory or some other boogeyman.
>close readings of modernist poetry
Yes, Eliot and Pound are well-known for their popularity with SJWs.

Neither of these things are "easy to sidestep" if you're looking to have any understanding at all of the 20th century literary canon, which includes perennial /lit/ memes such as Joyce, Nabokov, Eliot, Faulkner, etc. But hey, maybe you don't read, and that's fine too.
>>
>go to small college to study Great Books
>it's actually just the western canon
>>
>>7723601
Weird, I was thinking about saying the same thing to you.
>>
>>7723045
'Gender in Chaucer' is a big theme in 2nd year English at Oxford. My housemate said she's had whole tutorials where the tutor just goes on about imagined phallic imagery.

Purge when?
>>
>>7723045
I'm in a history class like that. Luckily its just that one teacher, the rest of the faculty is more well rounded.
>>
>>7723045
>be a film major
>people constantly misuse "the male gaze"
>I want to get off this ride
>>
>>7723681
Harold Bloom was right, and no one listened.
>>
In conclusion:

Women shouldn't be allowed in academia.
>>
File: 1432515726245.jpg (33 KB, 260x401) Image search: [Google]
1432515726245.jpg
33 KB, 260x401
>>7723777
God Sevens don't lie.
>>
>>7723045
>go to a top 20 university to study any humanist subject
>it's actually just a gender studies degree

ftfy
>>
>>7723588
You're either at the wrong college or taking the wrong classes. Studying English without studying theory is practically a contradiction in terms.
>>
>>7723532
No
>>
>>7723532
My university is top 10 in the UK for English. The course is 80% female. I've literally stopped attending lectures as no matter the reading, 99% of the time the lecturer just wants to talk about either women or race.
>>
>>7723524
Holy shit you sound like a faggot
>>
>>7723777
>777
literally deus vult
>>
>>7723524
read Stoner and cry yourself to sleep
>>
>>7723459
>he doesn't know about intersectionnality
>>
I have one course in history about introduction for world history which sadly forced upon me.
At one lecture he started the lecture on " the east and the new world" by "look at how eurocentric my title" is and all I had to wonder is why he did so to begin with outside of saying "eurocentric".
>>
>>7723532

I'm in a top ten uni in the UK and there are a couple of courses that are like this. You can avoid them for the most part, but every now and again, you would have to pick one of them in order to complete your course requirement to pass to the next year.

Apart from the one modern literature course I had to choose, it's not been that bad really.
>>
>>7724515
>implying "intersectionality" isn't a huge meme
>>
>>7723532
No, it's more about race and class than it is about gender. At least that was the case where I studied English (top 10 university).
>>
>>7724589
>No, it's more about race and class

I hope you're not implying that that's any better.
>>
>>7723681
TBF there is an entire chunk of stories in the Canterbury tales related to the role of women in contemporary society, it's not such a stretch.
>>
>>7723555
Why can't people understand? Aesthetics are the most important thing in our world, I'm a romanticist and want to live a life worthy of a fairy tale.
>>
>>7723214
tips le chicken tendies
>>
>>7723218
>drinking from starbucks in the first place
I'm sorry we don't sell butt plugs here.
>>
>>7723575
>ray bradbury
>great author
ha.
>>
>>7723601
so do you even have anything original to offer this board or what? because we don't need another autist.
>>
>study political economy
>it's literally just Marxist professors telling you their opinions and plugging their books
if I wasn't such a twink pussyole I'd join the army
>>
>>7723773
the only literature that fat ass needs is a dieting book and a healthy eating manual
>>
>>7724572
>he doesn't understand the meaning of the word meme
>>
>>7725140
they let chicken tendie eating cows in the army now?
>>
>>7725150
don't reply to me again
>>
>>7723773
Right when he said what?
>>
>>7723577
What's wrong with New Criticism and close readings, faggot?
>>
>>7723577
>he wants to sidestep close reading

you're the problem faggot
>>
>>7723045
>go to english class
>everything is either feminist or minority literature
>teacher uses the course to force a short story upon us which is written by the worst writer in the world
>>
>>7726462
welcome to the feminized west

elementary school
>let's all read poetry about gay feelings
>don't you want to read a 700 page book about women arguing about their feelings
>now we'll read "you'll never guess who is fucking who, and how i feel about it" by cunty mcgash

high school
>the only REAL man is a gay effeminate poet
>be sad and sorry and cringe with shame all the time and be a huge wiener just be a fucking wiener nonstop that's how to be a man
>also let's read another book about feelings

college
>are you completely composed of shame and occupied with perpetual apologising yet??
>women women women women women vaginas the vagina the clitoris woman women feelings feel feelings emotions woman vagina clitoris say you're sorry to my clitoris for not giving my vagina money in reparations for the 1782 anti-woman act
>all of history was just a build-up to women whining about how all of history was just a build-up to women whining about how all of history was just a build-up to women whining about how all of history was just a build-up to women whining about how ...

and then everyone killed themselves
>>
>>7726462
>teacher uses the course to force a short story upon us which is written by the worst writer in the world
>which is written by the worst writer in the world
I don't think that's a nice way to talk about your teacher.
>>
>>7726484
This.
Women ruin everything.
It isn't even a slight exaggeration.
>>
File: harold bloom.jpg (101 KB, 1058x1464) Image search: [Google]
harold bloom.jpg
101 KB, 1058x1464
>>7725142
>bloom
>fat
>>
Reading this thread has made me scared of applying to uni as lit major.
>>
>>7726525
Please don't take shitposting on 4chan seriously.
>>
>>7726522
Goddamn, housing the soulstone of Baal really does a number on you
>>
>>7726525
Lad, I'm gonna be completely honest with you. Conveners manage to insert it into literally every course, it's unavoidable if you want to go to uni. You'll learn to ignore it.

t. laws and international security first year
>>
>>7723524
you can go to any shitbird community college and get that
>>
>>7726576
you must not be very smart
>>
>>7726525
It's actually good in a way because it makes the distinction between education and learning really really fucking stark. If you're one of the few people capable of original thought, it's actually kind of nice that the pitfalls which normally snare most proto-intellectuals are colour-coded and clearly marked WOMEN'S STUDIES or ANTHROPOLOGY OF POST-COLONIAL WHO GIVES A SHIT.

I imagine in the 30s, 50s, or even 60s and 70s, your chances of getting your soul swallowed by some trendy movement like New Criticism or Foucauldian robo-structuralism were a lot higher, because those things are complicated and opaque and perfectly good until you dip into them beyond a certain point. But the current intellectual minefield of General Cuck Studies is so obvious that anyone remotely inclined to dodge it can easily do so.
>>
>>7726586
smart enough to not bank everything on shitty fantasies t b h
>>
>>7724759
In your world.
>>
>>7723045
>go to a top 7 university to study English Literature
>don't even read
>>
>>7726587
i'm not comfortable with boxing myself in any ideology or -ism, if that's a good thing. i'd rather make my own conclusions about the world rather than strictly adhere to someone else's thoughts, not that i reject every view of the world as false, just that reality and life itself is very subjective and it's hard to find any objective meaning that actually has any value.
>>
>>7726522
that's a dope fit
>>
>>7726598
I do this desu
I just skim books
>>
>>7723201
Actually I've found it was the other way around. When I took a post-colonial lit class I learned a lot about the high noon of imperialism and got to think about great authors like Conrad and Kipling in the context of imperialism, and the version of them which I received was nuanced and made me like them more for being complex and flawed human beings.

When I took a class on Milton, it was "Milton the radical progressive who turned conventions on their head"; when I took a class on Chaucer, it was "Chaucer the radical progressive who turned conventions on their head, with special emphasis on his subversive female characters".
>>
Self-teaching is bullshit. Teachers are not just databases, they're more like parent figures who are there to provoke your interest in subjects and direct your studies. You will almost always learn best in small classes where you can develop a rapport with the professor, and it doesn't especially matter how brilliant the professor is so long as they're considerably more learned than you are.

Self-teaching won't teach you humility, because it can't call you out when you're wrong. It won't teach you shame, because it can't reproach you for not trying hard enough. But most importantly, nobody ever tries as hard to impress themselves as they do to impress others. Knowing that there is a knowledgeable man who expects you to do your research and show up to class, and who is genuinely interested in hearing what you think about the material, will make you more excited to learn than any amount of vague yearning for self-improvement. When someone you respect has high expectations for you, devoting time to study becomes easy.

Teachers have always been necessary and always will be. Their role is mostly social.
>>
>>7724572
>a huge meme
you're a fucking idiot.
>>
File: 1455820235870.png (623 KB, 514x650) Image search: [Google]
1455820235870.png
623 KB, 514x650
>>7726539
>>
>>7723577
>Close readings of modernist poetry
think before you speak numbnut
>>
>>7723524
I want to die
>>
>>7727043
I'd argue that most autodidacts do this out of sheer necessity though.
>>
>>7724609
it's way better
>>
>>7726484
>thinking such things as masculinity or femininity actually exist
get spooked
>>
>>7726587
>General Cuck Studies
fucking hell this gets me every time
how pathetic a guy can you be to readily and conspicuously associate your continuing lack of political privilege with sexual humiliation
el oh fookin el
>>
>>7727043
When you teach yourself something, you aren't doing it to try to impress yourself. As you said, impressing yourself is not a particularly strong motivation. You do it out of pure interest.
Don't underestimate curiosity. It doesn't necessarily produce good students, but it produces good philosophers, scientists, and artists.
>>
>>7727153
go back to chemically neutering yourself because someone with an ironic cartoon avatar on twitter who thinks video games involve "bourgeois power relations" told you to
>>
This is the prime example of a cuck thread for cucked up Humanishits cuckbois. How dumb can one be to actually pay for a piece of paper that tells the world that you're a dumb guy who paid for a piece of paper that tells the wolrd that you've mastered a fucking hobby and paid big money for it? And for what? To work as an enlightened McDonald's clerk? Holy cow, it's delusions of grandeur mixed with plain stupidity, you jests!

Hah, I'm so glad I've dodged that shit and went straight into STEM and now I'm a fully fulfilled man with a great job and peer respect and US$ 120k in my paycheck.

I'll live a good life at you're expense.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 640x1136
>>7727233
Pls no bully, I've made my mistake, don't rub it in.
>>
>>7723524

i have or did all of these things sans the children. you crave vanity anon.
>>
>>7724543
>I'm in a top ten uni in the UK...
>in order to complete your course requirement to pass to the next year.
Wat. I thought UK universities focused on one subject and didn't have anything like 'course requirements' and modular 'classes'?
>>
>>7723681
>My housemate said she's had whole tutorials where the tutor just goes on about imagined phallic imagery.
She has a shit tutor then. The extent of 'gender in Chaucer' we've had is just pointing out differences in the behavior and presentation of Troilus versus Criseyde
>>
>dual degree in 19th century literature and philosophy with a minor in music history

feels pretty FUCKING good broskis, maybe you should do more research into finding good professors and take classes outside your major
>>
>>7723524
felt
>>
>>7724515
>if we defeat the big bad bogeyman and learn what it's like for the each of us to come to an understanding on how everyone of us lives then everything will be alright and ALL forms of discrimination will disappear
Intersectionality is a buzzword at this point
>>
>>7723214
Nah.
>>
File: 1442883024773.gif (2 MB, 320x384) Image search: [Google]
1442883024773.gif
2 MB, 320x384
>>7726539
noice
>>
>>7723511
lol yeah try having that on your CV
>>
File: file-hide-1441898896814.jpg (146 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
file-hide-1441898896814.jpg
146 KB, 803x688
>>7726539

kek'd, thanks anon
>>
>>7723765
where do you go to school? Would you recommend it? im looking into applying to schools with good film programs
>>
>>7728064
They do.
>>
>>7728436
>where do you go to school?
no comment

>would you recommend it
I don't have enough information about you to answer that question
>>
>>7724609
At least they exist :^)
>>
The problem is that our universities are no longer meant to turn out good churchmen. It once was that our higher learning was intended to be a glory to God and the church. Now we learn in order to "better ourselves" and maybe get a good job. Thus we have universities packed with career-minded and incurious students, and professors who have no idea what knowledge is for, except that it's probably good to have. We have academics who will say anything tasteless and extraordinary if it will provoke a reaction in their field and make their name known, and who encourage their students to do the same. We have idle young men and women who attend only so that they can enter more prestigious social circles, have more sex, and learn exciting new excuses for rejecting the values held dear by their parents and less educated peers.

There could be nothing more noble, to my mind, than reasserting that learning has a purpose, and that loose morals and worldliness are not welcome in a place of higher learning. Let us have again expulsion for infidels. Let us allow that an institution can have a creed, and must ask its students to accept that creed.
>>
>>7723524
>I want to be taught by an old man in a tweed jacket.
tweed jackets are overrated, you should settle for anyone who genuinely likes literature and enjoys talking to you about it

>I want to make life long friends who I can debate with.
you don't automatically meet these people by going to university

>I want to meet and seduce a timid bomb shell.
this has nothing to do with learning and reveals you to be a bit of an asshole

>I want to grow old and die surrounded by my 12 children after years of unsuccessful writing and coffee consumption.
a very noble dream
>>
File: nuc.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
nuc.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
>>7726484
>and then everyone killed themselves
oh i certainly hope so
>>
>>7729009
pretty sure this is Ignatius Reilly
>>
File: 1425158692020.gif (116 KB, 277x400) Image search: [Google]
1425158692020.gif
116 KB, 277x400
>this thread full of humanity cucks
JEJ

Just saying that this is what you get for not being STEM. There's no place for postmodern bullshittery in a field of hard, precision-cutting empirical data and structured mathematical rules. The only extent of SJW you get is idiots whining about women in science, which is mostly ignored by the people who know what they're doing.
>>
>not studying STEM
>>
>>7726972
That's too bad.
>>
>>7730534
as if I care what a suicide has to say about anything
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.