[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post what you're reading right now. I'll start. >Leviathan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Post what you're reading right now. I'll start.
>Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
>>
>>7721246
The Stranger
Infinite Jest
Dubliners

Plus other things for class.
>>
>>7721266
Are you re-reading The Stranger? Most people I know read it in high school during their existential phase. It's a good book, I just figured most people read it in high school.
>>
Songs Of A Dead Dreamer at the moment.
I might start Infinite Jest today.
>>
Brief Interviews With Hideous Men

You wouldn't be wrong to accuse me of being a DFW fanboy, but this one is kinda "meh" by comparison.
Some of the stories so far are funny or create good mental images -- but I'm looking for something I can take away from the book besides being able to tell people, "Yoo, I just read this short story about some guy waving his dick in somebody's face!"

(Though I think the story's moral was that you shouldn't hold something against someone if it was so inconsequential that you and they both forgot it and it has no effect on the present whatsoever.)
>>
File: IMG_20160220_160155385.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160220_160155385.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
>right now
Pic related
I'm taking a shit right now OP
Forgot to bring a book
>>
>>7721272
why do people do this lol what if he didnt read it in hs and hes reading it now? what literal difference does it make?
>>
>Right now
Satantango

Enjoying it a lot just for the atmosphere alone. I was thinking of starting Under the Volcano next or save it for when I go to Spain next week, seems fitting to read in pubs if it turns out to be pretty hot.

Now I just need to think what other book to bring. I got the Foundation trilogy for Christmas so I'll probably read that on the plane.
>>
>>7721318
Porque estais en 4chan si sos mujer?

Sos masoquista o autistica
>>
>>7721324
Elitism mostly.
>>
The Nameless Dark by T.E. Grau
>>
>>7721324
cuntism
>>
The Butcher Boy
>>
>>7721272
ooh look at this fucking scholar over here.
jheeze man just let him read a fucking book. i for one didnt read the complete western canon before i finished high school
>>
Hunger -Hamsun
>>
>>7721324
>>7721419
>>7721429
>>7721498
What a bunch of cunts you are. Not even him, but I read The Stranger in high school, not even because I wanted to, but because it was ASSIGNED. I don't think that poster's intent was to insult.
>>
File: 91d9vEpud1L.jpg (544 KB, 970x1600) Image search: [Google]
91d9vEpud1L.jpg
544 KB, 970x1600
will start Siddharta today
>>
>>
Paradise Lost, Dubliners, Plato's Laws and Being and Time.
I might remove either PL or Dubliners for now(depend on interest and time)
>>
>>7721566
Ooooh, Laws is so fucking good. As swan songs go, Laws is one of the best. Afterwards, read Aristotle's Politics if you haven't.
>>
>>7721510
>I don't think that poster's intent was to insult.
Nah youd think that but once you see it and hear it said multiple times a day or have had it said to you, you start to realize some people are just assholes.

Plus, its really pointless to mention that, if it had some relevance then id let it slide but its just a pissing contest question
>>
>white legal pad

but why though?
>>
>>7721575
Its pretty interesting read in itself, especially when you see along with it Maimonides' third part of the Guide of the Preplexed

I read it with a learned friend, and afterwards I hope we will read Al-Farabi interpretation on it if I will be able to find the arab original as he know Arabic.
>>
>>7721587
I write notes and essays on paper because computer screens hurt my eyes.

I prefer legal pads to notebooks for no particular reason. I just do.
>>
Halfway through A Death in the Family (Min Kamp book 1).

It's weirdly fun to read but not that well-written. Has a lot of sections that seem to be really reaching for something profound, or say some "deep comment" that doesn't even hold true.
>>
>>7721600
I'm sorry, I should clarify. Why white legal pads instead of classic yellow? I'm all with you on the legal pad thing, there's no better way to write notes. I used to use white as well, but I'm just curious why someone else would choose to use white.
>>
>>7721594
I've been meaning to read the Guide of the Perplexed. How is it?

You ought to listen to Strauss' lecture on the differences between the Athenian and Jerusalemic schools of thought if you haven't. It's an interesting analysis of ancient and modern thought.
>>
>>7721610
Ah. One of my favorite pens uses blue ink, which looks horrendous on yellow paper. Also, I can hole punch it and put it in a binder with printer paper, graph paper and notebook paper, and it won't look motley and awful.
>>
>>7721610

Because I want it to work.
>>
>>7721644
Alrighty. That makes sense then. Thanks for humoring me.

>>7721647
I'm afraid I don't understand that.
>>
>>7721633
I read some of Leo Strauss, What is Political Philosophy is great.

The Guide of the Preplexed is great read overall, I think its will be a bit hard read in English as Maimonides play with Hebrew a lot in the first part, so some knowledge on the language, how its operate and the words he refer to can help. He also tend to write in open , manner so always try to see where the bit can aim at.

from what I know, Shlomo Pines translation, with the great introduction by Leo Strauss is the best edition available but its fairly pricey and rare.

the most common version available is by Friedlander, which lose a bit of the nuance and less updated but its not too bad

before reading you can inverse yourself in the Jewish background(Kuzari, Rabbi Saadia hagaaon, to name a few big personality), and general background on Jewish law and his main Jewish law writings "Mishne Torah"), as well as academic writing on the background of his time which he tend to respond to in subtle manner from the Arabic lenses and his sources. its not entirely necessary but can help to discover more ideas hidden. (if you can find someone to speak with from local Jewish community its can also help.)

He also have some interesting early writing called in Hebrew "Milot haigayon", Words of logic in free translation, which can show you his early attempt to translate aristotlean logic to Hebrew terms.
>>
>>7721682
>manner so always try to see where the bit can aim at.
what he aim at as demograpic*
>>
>>7721286

Actually, I just read the one about the guy whose wife gets raped, made me shed a tear. Very appropriate for today's "identity politics."
>>
File: 20160220_154808.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160220_154808.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>The Complete Sherlock Holmes: Volume 1 - Sit Arthur Conan Doyle

Reading "The Red-Headed League" at this very instant.

Also the holy bible, but who cares?
>>
>>7721266
so you've read ~30 books ever, right?
>>
>>7721246
Mein Kampf- Adolf Hitler
>>
Masscult & Midcult by Dwight Macdonald.
Good stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Just wrapped up a moment ago and am enjoying my /lit/ shitposting break.

About to start the corn wars.
>>
>>7721764
What the fuck, are you me?

We have nearly identical longhand print.
>>
>>7721246
Gonna start A Wild Sheep Chase tonight, after finishing what I have left of The Voyage Out.
>>
File: feneon.jpg (42 KB, 318x499) Image search: [Google]
feneon.jpg
42 KB, 318x499
Moast hilarous book i've read in years...
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
It's funny tbqh
>>
>>7721738
More, new to /lit/ though, so doing the 'meme' works.

>>7721272
No.
>>
Just finished Harlot's Ghost and started The Man Without Qualities. Apparently I'm into doorstops right now.
>>
File: IMG_20160221_245932540.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160221_245932540.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
>>
>>7721246
convince me about reading Hobbes.
>>
30 pages left in great expectations (for class). it was good, but not quite as compelling as I thought it would be
>>
A Month in the Country. Only just started it. The phrasing is often confusing but I'm guessing that's meant to reflect Birkin's somewhat unkempt nature and unfamiliarity with his new environment. It's quite funny in places - I must admit I once or twice let out a slight zozzle.
>>
Sátántangó, by Krasznahorkai.

I was reading Five Spice Street by Can Xue, but I got irritated by my poor comprehension and gave up. I'll have to revisit it some other time.
>>
>>7722705
Hobbes is the Plato of modern political philosophy. Almost everything in the canon of Western political philosophy following Hobbes attempts to either support him or tear him down.

This is especially evident in the works of his contemporaries, most notably Rousseau.

Hobbes is also the first modern philosopher to vehemently state that every man is an individual who acts in his own rational self interest. He's the modern founder of the social contract theory.

He's undeniably one of the most important thinkers this side of the collapse of Rome. Furthermore, I love his prose. Read Leviathan.
>>
>>7722954
Thanks, anon. Those are ideas worth critically thinking about. Definitely reading it.
>>
>>7721266
those are all great

enjoy
>>
>>7722964
No problem. Read a little bit about the English Civil War before you read Leviathan to get a sense of where he's coming from. While the ideas you'll read may seem shocking or unbelievable from OUR contemporary context, it's absolutely crucial to remember that what he's writing WAS radical, unprecedented, and downright revolutionary. Hobbes, in my opinion, is a genius, and he changed the fucking world in just 200 pages.

Read books 1 and 2. Book 1 will seem pointless, but just remember that he's building his argument from absolute scratch. Defining EVERYTHING. Shit starts to get good at around chapter 13.
>>
The Fault in our Czars - Vladimir Lenin
>>
File: Max-Stirner.jpg (27 KB, 386x520) Image search: [Google]
Max-Stirner.jpg
27 KB, 386x520
>>7721246
The Ego and Its Own - Max Stirner
>>
The History of Philosophy -Bryan Magee

I'm a pleb starting out on the /lit/ path
>>
20 pages left in To Our Friends - Invisible Committee.

stalled bookmarks in other things I'm not actively reading atm.
>>
I just finished Journey to the End of the Night an hour or so ago

That was a wild ride
>>
>>7723279
a little over halfway through right now. Having a blast
>>
>>7721554
If you want to have a good time pick a passage and read it as if Siddhartha is talking about weed
>>
>>7721318
lmao
>>
In Pursuit of the Millennium by Norman Cohn.

Fucker sat on my shelf for three years, taunting me. It's actually really interesting.
>>
for myself: The Tain
for class: Oedipus Cycle
>>
Franz Kafka - The Trial

Is this book supposed to be funny?
>>
File: CAM01033.jpg (879 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
CAM01033.jpg
879 KB, 2560x1920
>>
The Holy Bible by Jesus of Nazareth.
>>
The Garden of Epicurus - Anatole France
>>
>>7723718
>by Jesus of Nazareth
>>
>>7723718
do you have it signed as well?
I also have the Tanah signed by Moses.
>>
>>7723690
That sounds interesting. How's it written?
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.