[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was re-reading this for fun and I ran into something that's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
So I was re-reading this for fun and I ran into something that's bugging me a bit.

At the end of the book, when Shadow is being pulled out of the freezing lake, he dreams of Whiskey Jack, The Land, and the Thunderbird turning their back on him. Now, obviously they know Hinzelmann is about to get offed, but why do they care? Does that have anything to do with it at all? Sure, Hinzelmann created the lake and made Lakeside prosperous, but I can't imagine them caring about that at all, especially given it's artificiality.

One perspective I found was that they were anticipating his death. That doesn't make a ton of sense to me given that they were disappointed. Especially not Whiskey Jack, who ripped Shadow's ass out of nothing just to have a talk.

Obviously they turned their backs on him in disappointment. He was inadvertently engineering the death of an Old God. Is that what they were upset about?

What do you guys think? Has Gaiman explained this?
>>
>>7719562
Read American Gods and had enjoyable discussion here before.

I don't understand your question, maybe it's my headache. Can you rephrase it?
>>
>>7719565
At the end of the book, The Buffalo Man, Whiskey Jack, and The Thunderbird Woman turn their backs on Shadow and walk away. The implication is that they're disappointed in him and have abandoned him.

So why?
>>
Try asking on /r/books
>>
>>7719572
They were dissapointed since he didn't wise up and kicked Odin's ass properly. There are still versions of him left wondering the world. Even Wednesday himself reappears to Shadow as a "dream" in one of the short stories set after the conclousion of the novel.
>>
>>7719701
But they came to him after Rock City. That's when the Buffalo Man revealed that he was the embodiment of the land. Shadow brokered peace between the old and new gods, and for that Buffalo Man was grateful. It wasn't until Shadow revealed Alison McGovern's death that they came to him in disappointment.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.