[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are some books about being an ambitionless hack with no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: jk.jpg (4 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
jk.jpg
4 KB, 100x100
what are some books about being an ambitionless hack with no personality?

pic unrelated.
>>
Anon, I've been wondering myself, and I've been toying with the theory that the experience of being a totally ambitionless hack is so complete and life encompassing, and the experience involved in writing a book is so opposite in terms of effort, determination, and diligence, that no author has really captured the essence of bottom tier of loserdom.

I would love to stand corrected though.
>>
the comforts of madness - paul sayer
both of you
>>
Tao Lin-Tai Pei
>>
That's the protagonist of every murakami novel
>>
Breakfast of Champions
>>
You make the decision on your own. You either want it or you don't.
>>
>>7719325
Bartleby the Scrivener is the obvious choice.
>>
>>7719325
My Diary.
>>
>>7719416
upvoted
>>
>>7719373
Persuasive though I find this, (>>7719543) is kind of right. Such a good story. But honestly, I've never read anything comparable to Bartleby.
>>
>>7719543
>>7719583
Bartleby thoroughly disengages, his course of action is the most radical asceticism imaginable, reminiscent of Jain sallekhanā.

Hardly without personality, I'd say.
>>
>>7719325

Death of a Salesman.

(Kind of) Journey to the End of the Night.

Bukowski for sure (and that's not a swipe at Bukowski, I like him), and maybe also some Pahlaniuk
>>
>>7719609
I couldn't disagree more. He doesn't seem radically ascetic, he just seems radically apathetic and empty.
>>
>>7719615
That is radical asceticism in my opinion, neither validation nor negation of the will. It's non-attachment.
>>
>>7719547
are you being honest?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.