[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Languages on a Budget
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1350835677688.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1350835677688.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
How does one go about learning a new language on a budget? Is Rosetta Stone the only viable option to learn? I'd prefer to just self teach myself rather than take a series of classes.
>>
L I B R A R Y
I
B
R
A
R
Y
>>
Rosetta stone is never a viable option.
>>
>>7719245
Okay, but which books would help?
>>
>>7719240
Provided the language you want is available, duolingo will give you a decent start. However, It should absolutely not be your only resource. You can read about grammar online and just flash card vocabulary words.

What language are you looking to get into?
>>
>>7719259
either French or Russian, not sure which first
>>
>>7719245
If you never want to speak the language you're studying, go for it.

He seems gimmicky, but through the techniques introduced by the fluent in 3 months guy I've achieved a decent amount of fluency in French and Japanese over a really short time frame with a budget of literally 0
>>
DUOLINGO

It's the best AND it's free, what a deal
>>
>>7719265
White Trash Method:
-Duolingo
-Pirated Rosetta Stone (v3, v4 is nearly impossible to crack)
-Memorize pirated song lyrics
-Pirated movies with subtitles
-shiet yu liek frum target culture

Mix 'n' match, putain.
>>
Anki
>>
Listen to talk radio in whatever language you want to learn; your brain needs the exposure to learn to separate out the sounds.

Duolingo is good for learning some basics. Work on that, get a good text book or two, work through them. If you can find a conversation partner (i.e. with someone wanting to learn your language) then fab.
>>
>>7719553
What do you people even do with this thing?
>>
Duolingo
Memrise
Anki
watch films with subtitles
read grammar books
talk to people that speak the language
>>
Continuing the language learning topic, how do you become fluent enough to read literature in the foreign language? I can read German newspapers or Wiki articles, but still struggle with stuff from Kafka or Mann. The German syntax is a bitch.
>>
>>7719767
Wouldn't you just work your way up? start with young adult literature and keep progressing until you're comfortable to read Kafka or Mann.
>>
>>7719787
Any simple but good German books?
>>
>>7719240
Rosetta Stone isnt good at all. There are plenty of other resources out there for language learners.

Torrent Pimsleur for listening skills and pronunciation
Duolingo for Vocabulary and grammar
REAL textbooks for a better form of all of that

Other than that, memrise is good, like others said watching shit and listening in that language.

Also if youre learning a lanuage with a different alaphabet like Japanese or something I strongly advise you to focus on reading and writing Katakana and Hiragana and leanring a few kanji before anything.

Also penpal sites are great for language exchange, HelloTalk is an iphone app thats pretty good for asian languages and Interpals is a website
>>
>>7719900
Nice dubbins. Also - try Hesse.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.