[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will this forever be the standard that all post-apocalyptic novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 354x530) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 354x530
Will this forever be the standard that all post-apocalyptic novels will be judged?

I've never read something that combines so beautifully, the fire and brimstone of a dead world and extraordinary tenderness.

Well /lit/?
>>
>>7718922
No that would be "I am Legend" you're thinking of.
>>
>>7718922
Lel the hunger games doe
>>
>>7718922
Honestly though, the road was like 6/10 for me. One of McCarthy's worst.
>>
>muh edgy descriptions of monsters...ABSTRACT monsters omg fykin genius
>>
>>7718934
Nice meme
>>
>>7718948
What monsters?
>>
>>7718951
I think he's referring to the one's in the father's dreams.
>>
>>7718948
That is literally the single most beautiful passage I have ever read. And the father is literally looking death straight in the eyes. He knows in his heart he will not survive much longer
>>
>>7718954
I don't remember that. Care to quote it?
>>
>>7718961
It's been a while, but Isn't the invisible monsters passage in the bunker? Isn't that like the most hopeful part in the book?
>>
>>7718966
"Tolling in the silence the minutes of the earth and the hours and the days of it and the years without cease. Until they stood in a great stone room where lay a black and ancient lake. And on the far shore a creature that raised its dripping mouth from the rimstone pool and stared into the light with eyes dead white and sightless as the eggs of spiders. It swung its head low over the water as if to take the scent of what it could not see. Crouching there pale and naked and translucent, its alabaster bones cast up in shadow on the rocks behind it. Its bowels, its beating heart. The brain that pulsed in a dull glass bell. It swung its head from side to side and then gave out a low moan and turned and lurched away and loped soundlessly into the dark."

First page.

There's another dream near the middle too.
>>
>>7718966
>>7718967
>In the dream from which he'd wakened he had wandered in a cave where the child led him by the hand. Their light playing over the wet flowstone walls. Like pilgrims in a fable swallowed up and lost among the inward parts of some granitic beast. Deep stone flues where the water dripped and sang. Tolling in the silence the minutes of the earth and the hours and the days of it and the years without cease. Until they stood in a great stone room where lay a black and ancient lake. And on the far shore a creature that raised its dripping mouth from the rimstone pool and stared into the light with eyes dead white and sightless as the eggs of spiders. It swung its head low over the water as if to take the scent of what it could not see. Crouching there pale and naked and translucent, its alabaster bones cast up in shadow on the rocks behind it. Its bowels, its beating heart. The brain that pulsed in a dull glass bell. It swung its head from side to side and then gave out a low moan and turned and lurched away and loped soundlessly into the dark.
>>
this was one of the worst books I've ever read. It was fucking brutal to read I absolutely hate this book and based off of my opinion of this book it pains me to see cormac mccarthy considered an adequate novelist. This book is a fucking joke.
>>
>>7718971
>>7718988
Oh, I read that as the protag subconsciously imagining a pale mirror of himself if he had no son to look after (and thus no raison d'etre)
>>
>>7718998
If this book didn't grab you by the balls and hold you there then you either a.) are not a father or have younger siblings or b.) you have no pulse.

Which one is it senpai?
>>
File: 1455928275565.jpg (298 KB, 1060x707) Image search: [Google]
1455928275565.jpg
298 KB, 1060x707
Is this book fun to read? I'm not really into books but I played The Last of Us.
>>
>>7719116
I think this might be bait.
Its a good book and you'll certainly get something out of it, but it isn't really "Fun to read", its got a very depressing atmosphere and relies a lot on repetition.
>>
>>7719116
yes it's very happy
>>
File: 1455474148140.gif (2 MB, 245x306) Image search: [Google]
1455474148140.gif
2 MB, 245x306
>>7719116
Its extremely fun! Most people really get a kick out of the part where the father teaches his son the proper way to kill himself in the event he is ever captured by roaming gangs that rape and eat the young! Kek!
>>
>>7718947
This. The book has WAY too much praise. It was a 'literary' author going genre, and not even doing it as well as genre writers already have.
>>
>>7718947
>>7718948
>>7718998
>>7719521
Now I remember why I became exasperated with /lit/. You failed authors and armchair critics are completely insufferable. Can you back up exactly why this book failed in your eyes? Could you really not grasp the totality of McCarthy's vision?
>>
>>7718922
Doubt it. Everything about the novel is mediocre. Honestly New Vegas is a better post apocalyptic work, not to mention I am Legend and A Canticle for Liebowitz.
And in general the novel is not particularly well written and nothing in it is great. Mediocre prose, forgettable setting, just a neat ending, forgettable characters.
>>
>>7719034
its fuckin' corny dawg
>>
is BM really is best?
>>
>>7719882
McCarthy
>>
>>7718922
I can't help but feel this(and other McCarthy) would have been a better read if my brain hadn't been warped by internet exposure
>>
>>7719889
you're probably right. i think most people dislike it because it's boring but that kind of seems like the point
they're in some shitty half-pergatory half-hell walking down a single road in the snow. the drudgery made the scenes with a bit of action in them more interesting
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.