[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me /lit/ How the fuck do I git gud at reading? Takes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: student-reading.jpg (75 KB, 420x279) Image search: [Google]
student-reading.jpg
75 KB, 420x279
Help me /lit/

How the fuck do I git gud at reading?

Takes me like an hour to get through ten pages, and it feels like a slog the entire time.
>>
>>7718361
Honestly just keep doing it, a lot. You will get the hang of it.
>>
>>7718361
Start by quitting /lit/, should increase reading rate at least 3x
>>
>>7718379
I will. How many hours a day do you think makes sense per day?
>>
>>7718393
as much as you can stand. After the proverbial ten thousand hours or so, you wont be readubg phonetically, you will just recognize words or groups of words by shape...you will acquire new words thorugh context and by recognizing their etymology...but honestly, dont force it. Literacy is overrated. You only are going to need to be able to text and use emojis;. You'll be fine.
Hope that Helps!
>>
Look up every word you don't know my memory as you're reading. I think the reason why most people are slow readers is because they are either distracted or do not have a strong enough lexicon in which to process the language quickly.
>>
>>7718423
>>7718393
If your finances take care of themselves, you have about 14 hours a day to work with.

Most people will have 8 hours of free time (the other time being 8 h of work/school, 8 h sleep), which with breaks, translates to 7 h of free time. 4 hours of reading is good, assuming you also spend time with friends/the internet.
>>
What are you reading OP?
>>
File: IMG_20160219_201126.jpg (159 KB, 960x641) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160219_201126.jpg
159 KB, 960x641
>>7718446
>if your finances take care of themselves
lol. Translation. Young, live at home, have avoided work so far.
Thanks for breaking down the 24 hour cycle for me, though, anon.
NEET for life!
>>
>>7718446
>t. unemployed man
>>
>>7718446
also, impying 'friends'
>>
>>7718472
Your welcome anon. I hope you find meaning in life.
>>
>>7718446
>>7718423
I'm employed, going to school, have friends. I do still have a fair amount of free time though, and not much of it is spent reading.

Vidya, alcohol, internet, and DUDE WEED LMAO are how I'm used to spending my time.

>>7718467
Philosophy
>>
>>7718361
Tbh if you aren't reading heavily and adult lit by the age of 13 or 14 you are fucked. These threads perplex me because I have been consuming proper lit since I was those ages so I have a lot of practice and can't understand your difficulty. Bit bragging but truthful
>>
>>7718495

It takes me about that long to read dense nonfiction

Sometimes I warm up the book after a while and it goes faster

I wouldn't worry
>>
>>7718542
Not super worried, in all honesty. Moreso wondering if there was any sort of "trick" that I've been missing. Doesn't seem to be the case; I'll just have to keep at it until it becomes less of a chore.

Thanks for the feedback!
>>
I only read a hour per day on weekdays, but that's because I'm a STEM student with a pretty tight schedule. So after I study at home, I work out and then read outdoors (somewhere quiet) until it's time to go to class. I wish I could go faster, but at this rate I'm not doing too bad for the size of my backlog, my career choice and my age I guess.
>>
>>7718361
>How the fuck do I git gud at reading?
Git Gud
>>
How do you read instead of browsing /lit/?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.