[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Words you hate and words you love Love: >recalcitrant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: words.jpg (565 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
words.jpg
565 KB, 849x565
ITT: Words you hate and words you love

Love:

>recalcitrant

It springs off the velum and slides into a wonderfully confrontational fricative that underscores its meaning

hate:

>pulchritudinous

It's a carcinoma. An obligation, not worth the effort to write or say or think. Unwieldy and intrusive, sounds nothing like what it means. Have never seen it used appropriately; doubt there is such a usage.
>>
They don't have to be long.
"twig" is a fantastic word.
"mulch" embodies its meaning very well.
"inveigle' and "seraglio" just sound cool.
>>
>>7718036
Agree with your thoughts OP, especially pulchritude.

Love
Shmuck
greatness surely self-evident

Lugubrious
a word I find hilarious, a way of saying sad so overwrought it can only be comedic

Malevolence
downright lascivious tongue and lip action (Lascivious is another one I like too)

Marooned
A howl of a word best expressed by the dog Mundo Cani

Sarcophagus
A word that rings hollow, and perhaps foreboding, at least in my mind if not the ear

Orangutang
Orangutan seems a sad echo of the jolliness of Orangutang, so Orangutang is how I say it

Indubitably-
my love stems from a giant undead bug saying it in Warcraft 3 but I like the way the syllables roll out one after another

Pareidolia, Personification, Anthropomorphize
The words less so, the meanings, very much so

Hop
almost onomatopoeia, but not quite

Hate
Onomatopoeia- can't spell it

Noisome- etymology be damned, this should have to do with sound

Ogle- I never hear it, so I always mispronounce it if I try to say it myself, and forget how to say it by the time comes to say it again. Oggle? Oh-gle?
>>
I hate the word "pretentious" because I see it used very often in many different contexts. It's developed a very vague meaning over time and is often just a placeholder for "I don't like this".
>>
>>7719888
I know what you mean. Seems like it's a poor way of communicating the specific details of the feeling 'I don't like this,' a dismissal rather than an actual opinion.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.