[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ulysses Reading Group
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 220x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 220x281
okay guys i'm worried you forgot so i'm starting the thread.
p.s. i know we agreed to ~15 pages a day but i don't like to stop reading midway through a paragraph so i stopped at p.23.

doubledactyl Malachi Mulligan is fucking flesh and bone, man. i can't believe I waited so long to read this book.

>Behind him he heard Buck Mulligan club with his heavy bathtowel the leader shoots of ferns or grasses.
>--Down, sir. How dare you, sir?

absolutely brilliant.

get in here guys
>>
also i was thinking this would make a good schedule for the next 4 days:

24-36
37-51
55-70
70-86

because these are sensible stopping points and they average about 15 pages anyway. idk how well it'll hold up when we get going but it seems better this way. (p.s. i'm using Vintage edish)

what do you all think?
>>
That's weird, I just got the book yesterday and I just got up to that part, didn't even know about the reading group
I'm gonna admit it, I'm struggling with it, not really sure what's going on and the French and Latin is annoying. Is there a good guide online that I can read along with?
>>
Just read the fucking book you weirdos, there's enough to chew on mentally based on how it feels you don't need several hundred versions of a dictionary to check every word
But whatever, one of my favorite parts at the beggining is the milk math word problem where bucky gets the bill from the milkwoman
>>
>>7717782
i say this with best intentions, but if you're having trouble with chapter one you might want to reconsider reading the book until later and you're more well read.
>>
>>7717793
Yeah, I've set it aside for now, I'll come back to it sooner or later, what tips can you give for reading it?
>>
>>7717791
Don't be an asshole when someone actually wants to get some reading done for goddamn once.

OP, the first couple chapters are pretty easy compared to what comes later. You can do more than 15 pages to begin with and then slow down when you get to, I don't know, Sirens or Oxen of the Sun.
Just a suggestion of course.
Enjoy the read and don't worry if you don't "get" every little thing.
>>
>>7717782

just google "ulysses" and the first three words of the phrase and you'll get translations.

might as well keep reading with us a while, i think. couldn't hurt. if it's too much though there's no shame in dropping it
>>
>>7717782
Proteus is gonna fuck you up
>>
>>7717710
What book are you all reading?
I got the Everyman's Library one. I doubt it will make a difference though.
It's all the same text, right?
>>
>>7717710
I don't get it, what's brilliant?
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 338x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 338x396
http://youtu.be/o-Syod76Gvo
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>7718050
>Joyce was receiving this stipend, for at least twenty years, before he found out *who^ was giving it to him...
Can you imagine this?
>>
>>7717983

because Buck is a Stately, plump thirteen year old. i guess i don't know why that line stuck out to me but it did. I have spent time in the woods swinging sticks at plants and branches so maybe it's rather subjective on my part.

i think this is not a very good book group so far
>>
>>7717752
yeah that sounds good. I forgot about this, so i'll have to read ~30 pages today.

>>7718050
thanks for posting this
>>
>>7717802
Read all of Joyces works before Ulysses, read the odessey, study up on your Irish history, have a basic understanding of the Catholic Church and its teachings and remember that the book will require several readings for you to discover everything in it
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 5120x3645) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 5120x3645
Here's a good infographic. Some of you chumps have to brush up on your googlefu.

https://www.elance.com/samples/ulysses-visualised-joyce-ulysses-dublin-infographic/130127462/
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1912) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1912
Does Joyce ever get into elements of Dominican theology in Shakespeare?

Does he discuss Laon?
>>
File: image.jpg (183 KB, 1000x676) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183 KB, 1000x676
>>7717710
Hey OP, I'm the original Op from the other week. Thanks for taking up the torch; I'm looking forward to this group. I'm currently on the third chapter and enjoying it immensely. I downloaded the text with annotation in the AppStore (look for it. It's called Nexus or something, pretty great). It may sound pleb, but I'm just reading the Shmoop chapter summaries before reading and it's helping me immensely
>>
I'm aware that being heard here over the constant images of waifish anime girls is highly unlikely, but how can the "average" reader (e.g one unversed in the rich, schizophrenic cosmos of Joyce's understanding) come to grips with the prose-style? It feels like it's a deliberate ploy by the author to replicate an opiate infused stream of consciousness, but ultimately is it really worth the time and effort to decipher the inner workings of the text?
>>
>>7718641
Don't get crazy on your first read mate. Just read and discuss what you can. Ask questions. It was worth it (for me).
>>
>>7718655

Thanks Anon
>>
>>7717710
shit didn't know you all started already. I'll get on this.
>>
>>7718641
I'm reading it for the first time too.
I read it at about a third of my normal reading pace. I bet I still missed a lot of subtleties, but I at least understood what was happening.
>>
How many languages do you think Joyce was competent in? Do you think he could read ancient Greek well?
English, Latin, French, German, and ancient Greek?
>>
>>7717782
You are perfectly well read to read Ulysses. Ignore all else who say you're not. The book is a heavy modernist work of literature. Read Gertrude Stein and you'll know that you're not supposed to understand every little reference. It's a lot like The Wasteland in that respect, but the novelistic format makes the reader subconsciously think they need to understand every reference. You really don't. If you have read Hamlet, that's pretty much all you need to have read. Even The Odyssey is secondary. Just absorb the language and you'll eventually begin to fall into Joyce's head.
>>
File: image.jpg (741 KB, 1797x2081) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
741 KB, 1797x2081
>>7718772
The lecturer above makes some claim that ajoyce would recite Dante's Cantos from memory, that he may have written a fan letter to Ibsen in his own language, that he spoke French, but had some trouble reading Greek itself.

The name 'Joyce' actually derives from France, and entered Ireland in the 13th Century or so, and so for that reason you'd expect him to be very interested in the French language.
>>
>>7717710
Aren't you worried the thread might not be archived on Warosu or some such?
>>
>he proved, algebraically, that Hamlet's grandson is Shakespeare's grandfather
>>
>>7718309
this is absolute trash.

for people who haven't read the book.

Sure, after reading the book i can pinpoint the events. But it won't help at all guiding a new reader's understanding of the book
>>
>>7719410
But it's not really a book to be read, it's for syphilitics and asylum inmates.

Enter at your own risk.
>>
File: Sirens.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
Sirens.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>7717710
This might be exciting, although I'm roughly 260 pages ahead. Started reading and discussing with my boyfriend a few months ago and despite much delay we are making solid progress. I would love to revisit and take notes on earlier chapters though, especially the those belonging to the Telemachiad.
>>
>>7717877
I zmellz de bloodz odz an Iridzman.
>>
>>7717710
Has /lit/ ever got together for Bloomsday in real life? I feel that it could be potentially interesting, though regionally constraining. Obviously a meetup in Dublin would be favorable above all.
>>
>>7719897
Myself and at least one other person here will be in Dublin for it this year. Feel free to join in.
I guess I'll make a thread when we get closer to the date.
>>
>>7719897
I can smell the potential awkwardness from across the Atlantic...
>>
>>7718096
Buck isn't 13 years old, he's a fucking medical student
>>
>>7721274
I thought he was kidding.
>>
>>7721528
...are you retarded?

>these are the people discussing ulysses with you on /lit/
>>
>>7721539
I'm retarded because I thought someone saying something obviously wrong was joking?
>>
>>7721545
he thinks you meant buck was kidding
>>
File: 15-ck2_2012-06-01_02-45-23-28.png (537 KB, 518x564) Image search: [Google]
15-ck2_2012-06-01_02-45-23-28.png
537 KB, 518x564
>>7717710
>fall for /lit/ memes
>buy Ulysses on Amazon
>expect door stopper
>get a giant paperback
>8.5' x 0.5' x 11'
>two columns per page
>no copyright or publication information
>book is indecipherable gibberish

What the Hell did I get myself into?
>>
Who do you think would win in a fight: Buck Mulligan from Ulysses, or Michael Pemulis from infinite jest
>>
>>7722000
Buck Mulligan. Hal could beat both of them though
>>
>>7722023
Only because of his mental disorder strength.
>>
>>7722023
Gately beats all
>>
Buck Mulligan and Pig Bodine

I'm thinking Buck would probably win unless Pig was fighting dirty
>>
File: checkem.jpg (25 KB, 374x500) Image search: [Google]
checkem.jpg
25 KB, 374x500
>she never let them in!
>the sun flung spangles, dancing coins.
Great reading today.
>>
>>7721274

did you really read that sentence literally (buck is a 13 year old) or are you a troll
>>
>>7722488

i found myself unable to stop today. i read through Proteus and half of Calypso too.

Proteus is the most beautiful thing i've ever read, except the german latin french and italian threw me off a little bit.

also the thing about the "turtlehide whales in a hot noon" kinda confused the shit out of me.. can anyone explain this to me? what is a turtlehide whale
>>
>>7722488
dubs
>>
File: -.jpg (216 KB, 590x322) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
216 KB, 590x322
>>7723255
>>
File: 9780141181264.jpg (41 KB, 290x450) Image search: [Google]
9780141181264.jpg
41 KB, 290x450
Anyone?
>>
>>7723312
What?
>>
>>7723315
Read or tried to read this beast?
>>
>>7723332
Personally, I was just going to read it after Ulysses. Hopefully this thread picks up and we can both talk about something.
>>
Anyone else reading this on the rap genius (lol) website? This is the most challenging book I've ever read and the annotations there are pretty helpful.

http://genius.com/James-joyce-ulysses-chap-1-telemachus-annotated

I'm behind on this because I started late. Can somebody set out a reading schedule in the OP of each of these threads.
>>
>>7723312
Reading group when
>>
>>7717710
OP, why do you read the book? Once I started and read about 50 pages, but there are a lot of modernist hidden messages which I am not able to notice or understand.
>>
>>7725006
What a depressing post to read.
>>
I just finished Ulysses today.
Holy shit. You guys are in for a ride. Those last couple chapters blew my mind- especially the second last one and the very end of Molly's soliloquy.
>>
>>7727478
>actually reading books

lol get a load of this guy
>>
>>7727486
This has never been funny. Please stop.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.