[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meta/ literature thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1
File: books.jpg (2 MB, 2690x1295) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
2 MB, 2690x1295
Let's have a meta thread. Talk about the status quo of our board, the function of irony and a resurfacing of obscure, experimental literature that has been passed around lately. Feel free to vent, but remain civil.
>>
meh. /pol/ and /reddit/ are definitely more prevalent, which in turn leads to false flagging, which in turn leads to general shitposting

board quality declined compared to ~6 months ago imo.

/his/ split was fine, don't pin it on that.
>>
i'm glad mccarthy and pynchon are finally out
>>
>>7717607
if we can kick out wallace too that'd be great.

more people need to actually read ulysses insteadof just memeing about portrait.
>>
/pol/ invading this board, like almost every board on 4chan, has been extremely damaging to the quality of posts

wish they would stay on their containment board
>>
i kinda miss fedoraposting and christposting reactionaries
>>
>>7717620
Yeah, /lit/ has a problem of being too didatic, we can't even obvious /pol/ posting pass, everyone will flock to these threads to keep on the sisyphian effort of making these people less retarded, which detracts from threads that could be good.
>>
>>7717635
rose tinted glasses, those threads were cancer and i'm glad /his/ killed them
>>
it's not irony, it's insecurity
it's not obscure, it's barely even literate
it's not civil, it's vapid
>>
>>7717602
>>7717620
in general I just assume people are angry leftists when they cry about this stuff but the /pol/ posting on here is genuinely annoying. How many threads do we need asking "How do I get into Julius Evola?" it's so obnoxious. Rebbit is an issue too, due to that 1 million views we got on imgur. Really, /pol/ and reddit have a lot of overlap these days which serves to compound the problem.
>>
don't act like anything but the fappening killed 4chan
>>
>>7717746
I don't like to think about that too much anon.
>>
Quit 4chan, you fools. Quit the internet.

It's all a bunch of shit that makes you mad and wastes your time.
>>
>>7717754
this
if you are under 20 you can still be saved
>>
>>7717587
Way too much bait. Stop replying to shite threads. Everyone complains about non-lit stuff but then posts Gamergate garbage and troll threads.
>>
>>7717754
>>7717759
I am 19, how do I leave this godforsaken place? I honestly think I am addicted. I've wasted so much of my short life on this shithole, and it's not even good anymore. It hasn't been good for well over a year.
>>
>>7717765
I'm 19 too and the dip in quality is astounding. 6 months ago there were atleast a few decent threads. Now, there are literally 0 threads of any worth on /lit/. Ironically, the QTDDTOT thread is probably the best up right now.
>>
>>7717765
Just go away from the computer. You'll find that when you come back after a break more and more you'll be saying "Who gives a shit?" to everything on this site.

Make lists for when you want to look stuff up on the internet. Don't just be on a computer waiting for something to happen.
>>
Board is shit filled with pseudo-intellectuals going along with groupthink despite attempting to portray themselves as different and not idiots. The old saying of "4chan is smart people pretending to be retarded" was taken to heart by morons. It was never true by the way, it was just stupid retards pretending to be even more retarded.

Doesn't really matter though, I guess. The real truth of it all is that barely anyone is interesting to talk to and has little to no actual insight on anything. They cannot carry a conversation unless it's something inane and even then they'll simply repeat what they have heard. Critical thinking is a skill that is mostly gone now, and it's just easier to not even think but instead parrot so why do it?

Everyone has always been shit.
>>
>>7717822
>Everyone has always been shit.
I'm no one to be spellbound to the past, but I remember genuinely good conversations about literature being had here. No, not pseudo-Pynchon or what-have-you. Just people talking about books without regard to the whole pleb/patrician divide and the hilarity it spawned.
>>
This board can be great for recommendations, reading ideas and generally furthering ones reading.
Howvever To ventilate
I hate how everyone has a very snobbish opinion of literature and how they dont appreciate anything that isn't a classic so they can look patrician to strangers while they sit unemployed lolling in their own filth. You also generally write shit verse and prose.

But jesus christ i love this board
>>
>>7718180
>so they can look patrician to strangers
Don't you think this defeats the purpose, anyways? You're here to enhance your knowledge and find new recommendations, not project.
>>
The board culture is amusing but if you actually want serious discussion about literature there are better subreddits. Any attempt on here to instigate actual debate that doesn't fit with the hivemind is either called pretentious or ignored because most people are here for the entertainment not discussion.
>>
>>7717765
19 also. just accept it and try to come only occasionally. think of all the inane mindless shit ordinary people do to fill the boring stretches of the day - watching tv, flicking through facebook. 4chan is (and always has been and should be) that.
>>
>>7718251
>watching tv, flicking through facebook. 4chan is (and always has been and should be) that.

I think it is better t b h. At least people here post stuff like >>7717813, >>7717783, >>7717754 (most of this thread actually) that makes you feel a bit bad about wasting time.
TV or facebook try to make people think they are doing good. Those things want you to stay on them as much as possible whereas 4chan is trying to tell you to do better things with your time.

Also posting about books does make me want to read them, I wouldn't say reading is a waste of time.
>>
>>7717700
What 1 million views on Imgur?

I really like /lit/. It's the only board I use 4chan for along with /mu/. But 4chan is declining in quality altogether.
>>
>>7717620
It's not purely /pol/, though that's a large component. /r9k/ leaks across the other boards, and generally drags quality of posting down.

People blame reddit, but I don't actually think reddit has anything to do with posting quality dropping here, it's nearly entirely just places like /pol/ and /r9k/ not being kept in their containment boards.

Also, what >>7717822 said.
This board's just full of people that think they're philosophers, or great minds simply because they read a few books, and that shits up the entire place.

Apart from that, the hundreds of "how do I get into x" threads is the main issue. /lit/ could do with some general type threads dedicated to this, or a philosophy general so we don't always have 4 threads about nihilism or Nietzsche up at a time.
>>
>"I CAN'T TAKE /POL/'S CONSTANT FUCKING JULIUS EVOLA THREADS ANYMORE!!!' when board actually has one per month thread #48924237484657213566745623rsfb

UGH IT'S EVERY THREAD!!! I AM NOT SUCCUMBING TO ASSPAIN-FUELED CONFIRMATION BIAS AT ALL!!!
>>
4chan will always have a higher number of shitposts vs quality posts due to its very nature. /lit/ is good for recs, and you get good advice sometimes but the discussion is usually not the greatest. When it is good it's usually too good for most people to get in on... I.e. it's apparent a lot of us aren't actually very well read.

As for Reddit I think they get mostly contained in the scifi/fantasy generals I see posted here. I don't think redditors are an issue.

/pol/ can be troublesome at times but I think the ones that stick around are usually the smarter ones. They aren't that bad either.

Frog posting and feels threads can just fuck off though.

Ultimately it's up to every poster to maintain board quality. Shitposting is fine in moderation, it's funny as fuck sometimes, but remember to actually read and discuss the books you read as well. We need to find a solution for all the translation threads too. They are so frequent I have started to recommend p&v with Reddit posts I stole from r/books about them.
>>
>>7719276
>They are so frequent I have started to recommend p&v
you're cruel, anon. let's not listen to your ideas
>>
>>7718220
>entertainment not discussion
Ideally, it should be a mix of the two and it was before le Ironic Reddit Xposting became the norm.
>>
>>7717822
Can't all be first movers, anon. Why are you so addicted to the original anyway? isn't that an absurd position? You are just asking to be lied to in a way that you can't detect.
>>
>>7719292
>You are just asking to be lied to in a way that you can't detect.
You're always being lied to, anon; what we need are better lies, bookish lies, ones that appreciate others' lies like canon.

Low grade lies are the gateway to YA threadbare lies centred on everyone else being a rapey vampire but really we're loved ;_;

This is why we don't get storytime. No good lies.
>>
>>7718293
a /lit/ top 100 books list got 100 views on imgur a couple of months ago, quality noticeably declined then. 4chan as a whole has been on a downward spiral ever since the fappening, but until recently /lit/ was relatively sheltered due to it's subject matter not appealing to many of the new users.
>>
>>7719949
they're slowly assimilating
this happens every summer, it just happened at a different time
>>
Thank fuck we have almost collectively gotten over pinecone and DFW
>>
I'm a bit sad that Bolañoposting didn't stick for long
>>
/pol/ has killed this board dead

You literally cannot have any discussion even remotely approaching political or social themes without these mango lloyds shitting up the thread with their cries of cuck sjw jews and whatever else shit they say

feminazis are just as bad but at least they stay on fucking tumblr.
>>
>>7717587
Dunno if its relevant but the discussion of literature in popular media has cause people to assume they know everything about philosophy and satire when never having read even 1984 or Moby Dick. However they know enough about it to act as if they have genuine opinions
>>
>>7720377

This is a problem with society in general though. People thinking they are competent enough to speak on every conceivable issue.
>>
>>7720292
[X]-posting will always be a meme, friend. Yesterday it was Gassposting and today it is Orlovitzposting.
>>
>board quality has declined since x amount of time ago

This has been said about every board since forever. While partially true, due to 4chan becoming massively popular, it happened years ago and the quality of the site has pretty much been steady for ages. I don't know if the people complaining now, just view the small time past as a lot better because the novelty of the site has worn off. Shitposting is the same now as it always have been, the flavor of the memes and slight language differences are the only thing that has changed.

I think people dissatisfied just come here for the wrong things. This whole sites culture is built around shitposting. You're not going to get good discussion the majority of the site. You're looking for something that's not here, and there is noway to improve it. Better off going somewhere else than rather trying to change this place to fit what you want. This is evident, considering meta threads and general critiques of the site have been the same for years and nothing has changed and it never will.
>>
>>7717754
I get decent recommendations here, but aside from that your sadly right.
>>
>>7717607
um.. pynchon is out? there are loads of posts about him every day
>>
>>7717754
The point of many boards is to get you started on something, give you resources and a community for initial guidance.

/lit/ is good for recommendations, discovering authors, literary personalities, and even some lit analysis.

/fit/ is good for learning how to lift. They are focused primarily on barbell exercises which moves you on to powerlifting or weightlifting in most cases. Just like /lit/ is focused primarily on classics and philosophy and then eventually post-modern literature.

All boards tend to be similar in this way in my experience
>>
>>7721724
Quality posting is down.

If you haven't noticed the shift from when we used regularly have threads for medievalists, when there was a Homer study group in Greek, when there were vocaroos of poetry in various languages, when the shitposting required you to have read the book not the memes on the front page, and now when people tell you you're being pretentious for thinking anyone might ever be interested in these things because they're butthurt their opinion is stupid, well, I guess you weren't writing the majority of discussions on Scholasticism or early theatre.
>>
>>7717754
yes. i just bought a printed copy of a newspaper today (WSJ) and read it for about two hours (weekend edition is long as shit) and it was so relaxing without obnoxious flash ads bouncing around, idiotic comments by unthinking plebs, or the temptation to click random offsite links. i'd been reading internet newspapers for so long (mainly NY Times) that i had forgotten you can read the paper without getting pissed off and distracted. Planning to subscribe and slowly transition away from internet.
>>
>>7722078
>even some lit analysis

hahaha no there is zero lit analysis beyond a faint imitation of what you might get in a freshman english 101 class
>>
>>7722089
there's almost no discussion of literature, just memes, ads for kindles, dfw face threads, a sudden influx of r9k shit, and a dumb philosophy autist or two, the site has indeed gone to shit, maybe the smartest ppl all left for the history board, which i may have to consider
>>
>>7722101
they didn't leave for /his/. they just left for not stupid.
>>
>>7722104
yeah i just skimmed /his/ and saw a thread "redpill me on elephants" i was ok fuck this, looks like 90% idiotic nationalism threads by random eurotrash countries no one gives a shit about
>>
>>7722112
also there seems to be a lot of braindead military history shit which is plebeian junk
>>
>>7722099
Well it's alright as far as laymen and dilettantes are concerned. The thing is even at this level it may prove interesting enough for some to explore it further.

Even the most superficial analyses are better than "it was good", " it was crazy!!"
>>
>>7722301
that's a pretty poor draw then, considering something like sparknotes has both higher qualityt analysis and it's more coherent/complete
>>
>>7722315
but what's the point of doing literary analysis when if u come up with something original, or just your own experience with the text, some boring student is going to tell u thats wrong cuz sparknotes or his state school no notable publication professor says it was all an allegory for ur dads penis or whatever...
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.