[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The best temperament for a reader to have, or to develop,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 400x400
>The best temperament for a reader to have, or to develop, is a combination of the artistic and the scientific one. The enthusiastic artist alone is apt to be too subjective in his attitude towards a book, and so a scientific coolness of judgment will temper the intuitive heat. If, however, a would-be reader is utterly devoid of passion and patience — of an artist’s passion and a scientist’s patience — he will hardly enjoy great literature.

Was he right?
>>
Science has nothing to do with literature
Patience is not inherently scientific. Passion is the only thing one needs
>>
>>7716673
>i cannot read hollisticly
>>
File: 1443148855867.jpg (230 KB, 1216x1878) Image search: [Google]
1443148855867.jpg
230 KB, 1216x1878
Was he right?
>>
>This is the right way to read books!
Kill yourself pseudo-fedorasenpai
>>
>>7716729
Tell us how you read.
>>
>>7716734
I read as if I were not the intended audience but an archaeologist or anthropologist, with the book being a cultural artifact that I take in not for the sake of the work itself, but insofar as it sheds light on an alien set of practices. In other words you should ever read a book on its own terms
>>
>>7717167
i feel sad for you
>>
>>7716662
honestly what idiot would take this as john green's prose
>>
>>7717243
Nabokov and Green are 2 sides of the same coin.
>>
File: 35345.jpg (97 KB, 1000x641) Image search: [Google]
35345.jpg
97 KB, 1000x641
Why are breakfast foods breakfast foods?” I asked them. “Like, why don’t we have curry for breakfast?”

“Hazel, eat.”

“But why?” I asked. “I mean, seriously: How did scrambled eggs get stuck with breakfast exclusivity? You can put bacon on a sandwich without anyone freaking out. But the moment your sandwich has an egg, boom, it’s a breakfast sandwich.”

Dad answered with his mouth full. “When you come back, we’ll have breakfast for dinner. Deal?”

“I don’t want to have ‘breakfast for dinner,’” I answered, crossing knife and fork over my mostly full plate. “I want to have scrambled eggs for dinner without this ridiculous construction that a scrambled egg–inclusive meal is breakfast even when it occurs at dinnertime.”

“You’ve gotta pick your battles in this world, Hazel,” my mom said. “But if this is the issue you want to champion, we will stand behind you.”

“Quite a bit behind you,” my dad added, and Mom laughed.

Anyway, I knew it was stupid, but I felt kind of bad for scrambled eggs.

After they finished eating, Dad did the dishes and walked us to the car. Of course, he started crying, and he kissed my cheek with his wet stubbly face. He pressed his nose against my cheekbone and whispered, “I love you. I’m so proud of you.” (For what, I wondered.)

“Thanks, Dad.”

“I’ll see you in a few days, okay, sweetie? I love you so much.”

“I love you, too, Dad.” I smiled. “And it’s only three days.”
>>
>>7717483
someone rewrite this as nabokov
>>
>>7716662
if the vast majority of the people who consume your work are teenage girls, it is almost guaranteed you are shit at what you do.
>>
>>7717243

I have literally no idea what this guy's prose is like all I see all over this board is pictures of him with green text paragraphs and they are sometimes bad and sometimes good and there is always somebody saying "this isn't john greene" and "man this guy sucks/is actually pretty good" what the fuck is this guy and how has he enveloped this entire board???????////?
>>
>>7718005
Lit is 90% memes
>>
>>7718005

see

>>7717483
>>
>>7716710
Twilight still sucks. And it isn't even an unironic love story.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.