[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
File: CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg (30 KB, 229x350) Image search: [Google]
CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg
30 KB, 229x350
Is this good?
>>
>>7716287
No
>>
>>7716287
Yes, but not as good as some people say.
>>
One of the best books I've ever read. Epic, bad-ass, violent as all Hell. The Judge is the ultimate villain, with some of the most wicked lines of dialogue of all time.
>>
>>7716287
Read it and find out for yourself, for fucks sake.
>>
>>7716299
Book's are a fairly big investment without knowing if they're worthwhile first.

>>7716291
>>7716294
>>7716296
Sounds tempting enough, the setting intrigues me.
>>
>>7716287

Incredibly pretentious, big words for the sake of big words, no punctuation whatsoever because that's cool apparently, and a villain straight out of a Linkin Park song. Overall I'd say Lit Major/10

Nabokov would have laughed his ass off at morons trying to pass this off as great literature.
>>
>>7716307
Well that's like the other perspective on this statement:
>>7716296
>>
>>7716304
You mean like a financial investment? You can stop reading whenever you want if you mean a waste of your time. I don't even really think here is a good place to ask because we get this thread daily and people get tired of it as you can see>>7716296
>>
>>7716324

Yeah, only the anon in support of it used "epic", "bad-ass" and "wicked" which really speaks volumes about the people who like this book.
>>
>>7716336
It is an epic, the only people who dont like it are the no-fun memers who only read for prose and women
>>
It's a very mediocre work. It's also Mccarthy best book so yeah.

It's middling genre fiction disguised as high literature. It's not awful per se but it's definitely not "good."
>>
>>7716336
He was being ironic, assman. Poe's law doesn't apply unless you're an idiot
>>
>>7716348

He didn't say it was "an epic" the noun like the goddamn Odissey, he said it was "epic" as in "epic win" or "epic meme".

Also

>point out that the prose is unnecessarily verbose and all around shit

>IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE SHIT THEREFORE IT'S GOOD

Alrighty then. I doubt McCarthy even knows what half of the stuff he wrote even means,

>conjectural winds.

COME ON. He talks like the fucking Architect from The Matrix.
>>
>>7716304
>>7716304
>Books are a fairly big investment
>Without knowing if they're worthwhile first
What are you, a time saving master?
You're on an online imageboard. Chances are you spend more time here than reading. You're just a lazy prick. It has been 15 or so minutes since you made this post... you could have been on page 50 by now, easily.
>>
>>7716398
First time I've ever been on /lit/ so first point is wrong. Secondly, it's more a case of buying the books in the first place.
>>
File: trilby.jpg (27 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
trilby.jpg
27 KB, 300x200
>>7716304
>Sounds tempting enough, the setting intrigues me
>>
>>7716410
>it's more a case of buying the books in the first place
Do you not have a decent library nearby?
>>
>>7716430
No, not at all. Only a very small one (still not near), and although it'll likely have this, it's not somewhere I go if I can help it. Obviously a Kindle is a decent alternative but don't have much money to invest in one rn
>>
>>7716410

>buying books

>literally type "blood meridian epub download" in google

I'm going to take a wild guess and say McCarthy doesn't really have urgent need of your two bucks.
>>
>>7716435
You could read right now, if you really wanted to do so. Epub reader add-one, calibre etc.

Stop making excuses, fucker.
>>
>>7716287
it's one of the best books ever written, read it and find out why
>>
File: IMG_20160219_122907.jpg (153 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160219_122907.jpg
153 KB, 960x960
I'm OP . and I lack the self determination read anything without extetnal validation.
I have this box of eye drops.I'm thinking about reading the printing on it What should I expect? Do I need to read something before I read this box? Is there a translation you can recommend?
>>
>>7716500
Not anything, just some things. Don't be ridiculous, there's nothing wrong with getting validation from others if you're uncertain.
>>
I cringed at some of the violent parts, it seemed cheap to me. I guess that perhaps that was the point of it
Anyway, it was really enjoyable
>>
>>7716507
So I should read Plato and Aristotle; then the eyedrop box? I want to make sure I do it right...
>>
>>7716390
>>7716307

>it's PRETENTIOUS
translates roughly to
>it was TOO DIFFICULT FOR ME

which is fucking embarrassing m8s.

you can spot a pseud by their criticisms of books. if anyone ever angrily says a renowned work of literature is "pretentious" i promise you it's because it went over their head.

the same people will tell you Moby Dick and Ulysses are pretentious. the same people will tell you they "don't like poetry because the intentional obfuscation of thoughts and ideas is just plain bad writing" in a nasally fucking voice

Blood Meridian is a legitimately great book. I'd put it just behind Moby Dick, honestly. It's funny, unnecessarily violent, dark, intriguing, etc.

why do plebs think they get to have opinions on this board?
>>
>>7716687
Lol Mccarthy is shit not cause he's difficult but because he's hilariously juvenile. But he wraps it up in a veneer of depth that appeals to pseuds who pay themselves on the back for understanding a "complex" author when all they did was read the equivalent of game of thrones in terms of sophistication.
>>
>>7716704
Maybe you're just a shallow reader.
>>
>>7716733

>mccarthy fan compares mccarthy to melville and dick
>mccarthy fan calls other people shallow readers

yea ok buddy.

mccarthy isnt read by anyone outside of the us, and wont be read by anyone in 50 years
>>
>>7716753
*melville and joyce

thought moby dick and typed dick zzz
>>
File: 1454469517245.jpg (74 KB, 500x402) Image search: [Google]
1454469517245.jpg
74 KB, 500x402
http://peter-mclachlin.livejournal.com/115239.html

this is good
and relevant
>>
>>7716733
K. Explain the allegory in Blood Meridian.
>>
>>7716773
The judge is the proto-typical white male. Pedophile, knows too much for his own good, master of the elements. Rapes and kills "The Kid" at the end. No innocence left when white males do their things.
>>
>>7716787
i-is this bait?
>>
>>7716304
>wasting his time on a japanese image board
>books are a big time investment.

wewlad.jpg
>>
>>7716287
Is this thread shit?
>>
>>7716787
the Judge is the devil, brasephina

try harder next time
>>
>>7716883
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white+devil
>>
>>7716369
>I've never actually read the book

Suttree is still the best book he wrote tho
>>
>>7716928
>disagreeing with my opinion = he hasn't read the book

mccarthyfags are always so embarrassingly juvenile
>>
>>7716787
might actually steal this for uni. thanks pham
>>
>>7716787
I don't think the judge rapes anyone, I think he makes others do the raping. For example, at the end of the book in the jakes I think the kid now the man is finally seduced by the judge to become totally evil. The vile scene in the jakes is then the kid raping the girl playing the barrel organ or the kid dead/mutilated after raping her.

Members of the band can only die after the judge has made them evil. Who survives the Yuma massacre? The kid, toadvine and the expriest (Brown wasn't there), the only people that showed any resistance to the judge.

If you recall all the other scenes where someone is implied to be raped by the judge, someone else dies at the same time or shortly after.
>>
>>7717135
That's very interesting.
>>
>>7717151
Thanks. My interpretation of the end changes, but this is what I believe now after my third read.
>>
can someone explain the "blood meridian is difficult meme" to me? The only "difficulty" is the decent level of vocabulary. God forbid you learn some Mexican clothing items, complex descriptions for geographical features and suffer through the odd tryhard rambling sentence. It's really easy to understand, you can get by not knowing most of the more complex words and if you just buy a fucking dictionary then you'll actually learn a lot while reading it.
>>
>>7717135
The kid now the man could also be the man pissing beside the jakes that warns the other two not to go in there because inside is the raped mutilated corpse of the girl.
>>
>>7716687
That's what people usually mean by it, but when it comes to Corncob "Tortillas" YeCarthy, he and his drivel are actually pretentious in that he flimsily disguises his juvenile sensibilities with an overwrought "profound"-sounding style of writing.

He has the aesthetic sense of a particularly vapid edgy teenager but tries to come off like some sort of folksy Homer of the American west. Everything about him is a sham. He even changed his name from Charles to Cormac.
>>
>>7717182
it's a way for simpletons to feel good about themselves for understanding a "difficult" work, and then can also use it to claim anyone who criticizes the work is dumb
>>
>>7717210
tortillas-anon i see you in most mccarthy threads. keep fighting the good fight on tearing down the hack that is corncobs yecarthy friend. maybe one day these plebs will learn.
>>
>>7717224
Thanks. Someone has to tell them the truth about their beloved Blood Memeridian.
>>
>>7717163
I think you're on to something here.

The Judge, whether he is the devil or war or an angry god, does always take the place of the instigator of madness and barbarism more than an actor of it.
The same way he collects items in his book that he destroys afterwards, he would collect souls and for this he'd have to bring them to commit acts that are so disgusting and inhuman they'd almost self-destruct. In the hyper-violent context in which they evolve, the usual horror would not be enough. He'd have to use the only symbols of purity (children) or nature (the fool) that are available.

Then the Kid.

The last part of the book does read like a story of failure : he fails to do good (the only person he tries to save is a corpse), to connect with people (he kills that kid), and at the end, waking down from the whore's place, which he didn't even choose, he does seem resigned to his defeat.
The Judge is disappointed by him : he became neither his disciple nor a worthy opponent. Through the ritual, he gives him his final blow.
The Kid gives in to the Judge's influence, succumbs and is destroyed.

I like it.
>>
>>7717202
Maybe, but would the corpse of a violated little girl be chocking enough for men to turn away in horror, instead of calling attention to it to the community or whatever.
Now the corpse of a man, killed in the act of fucking the corpse of said little girl...
>>
>>7716760

wonderful read
>>
What do you guys think of Tobin, the expriest?
Is he a foil for the judge? Or is he an aide of the judge?
After the slaughter at Yuma, when Tobin and the kid are running from the judge he is described as "hissing" at the kid several times. This sounds kind of evil, and isn't used as a way of talking much in the rest of the book.
Also he tries to convince the kid to shoot the fool who is innocent and harmless.
Also, when they are hiding in the ravine the kid goes back to where Tobin was last and finds a viper there.

How did Tobin beat the kid and toadvine to the well after Yuma, when apparently he saw glanton die (he tells Brown this). The kid was injured, true, but still Tobin was not seen during the journey there and was waiting as if he'd been there for a while.
>>
>>7717413
Also, in the beehive the judge was talking about the dance and how everything would seem to happen by coincidence but was purposely set up. He mentioned thr bear was shot as part of the dance. If the bear wasn't shot the girl wouldn't have left the stage and the kid couldn't rape her.
>>
>>7717915
Yes. Everything falls into place.
Thanks for sharing your idea, friend. Getting that made the book even better.
>>
>>7717888
>pparently he saw glanton die (he tells Brown this)

This was 100% a lie. When Glanton's death is described Tobin isn't in the room.
>>
>and the kid ate a bean and the kid shit in the sands swirling along oblivion into the sunset and the gang rode on born ceaselessly in the past and they killed a baby and played with the brains and the judge was evil and they saw the desert and they ate a taco
this guy is the heir to faulkners legacy? gimme a break
>>
>>7716287
Binge the first 10 pages for so and decided for yourself
>>
>>7718610
Oo oo do one of the landscape descriptions next please.
>>
>>7718598
Why would he lie
>>
>>7716787
>Pedophile
Huh? He doesn't rape anyone or show any sexual appetite at all in the book. He appears to be beyond sex.
>>
>>7718923
>Thinking McCarthy states everything outright
Kek
>>
>>7716296
Ok what you gotta know is this book is subtle but also in your face
Its spends a lot of time on what seems to be unsubstantial information and then a raid will happen in one line and if you're not reading super closely you'll miss it. It's a book you gotta read at different points of your life with an ever growing background of other books and critical analysis in order to to truly appreciate. It's a must read regardless
>>
Does anyone understand the Judge's speeches near the end, with the dancing bear and all?

The last few chapters were pretty unsettling , but it feels like McCarthy was completely wasted when he wrote them.
>>
>>7718964
He's essentially saying there are no coincidences. Everything is planned, etc.
>>
>>7718973
So I did interpret them properly.

Is the judge free from the determined plan or does he also act in accordance with it?
>>
>>7718964
For me it was the thing to solidify the fact that the judge is supernatural/the devil. He tells the kid things that he couldn't possibly know. He asks where is yesterday? Where is glanton and brown... Then he leans in and asks the kid where is Shelby, whom you left to the mercies of Elias in the desert, and where is Tate whom you abandoned in the mountains. The kid would be the only one to know those details and I doubt he told anyone.
When someone shoots that bear the judge talks about an orchestrated event, where all the players have arrived. The proceeding will not seem strange etc.
He is telling the kid that he already knows what's going to happen or is going to make it happen.
The rest is here >>7717135
>>7717915
>>
>>7718964
It's maybe supposed to sound drunk because the kid is putting down glass after glass of whiskey the judge is pouring him.
>>
>>7718633
>flat and bonewhite neath the horizon and no trees broke that unending tract.
>>
>>7716307
>pretentious
Use of the word pretentious is the mark of a philistine. Iif you weren't a philistine, you'd choose a better word.
>>
File: Derisive patrician.jpg (10 KB, 261x146) Image search: [Google]
Derisive patrician.jpg
10 KB, 261x146
>all these plebs think they know better than harold bloom
>mfw
>>
>>7719030
>lif you weren't a philistine
>lif
>>
>>7716307
>no punctuation

"How do I into McCarthy"
>>
I have only read it in Finnish.

I loaned it to my 85 year old grandmother couple months back and she was blown the fuck away by it, in a good sense I guess.

Just ordered English version
>>
>>7717888
also judge calls him "priest" after Yuma
>>
>>7716296
Bet you didn't even understand it and thus can't savour the full extent of what McCarthy was attempting to achieve. Instead you label it as 'EPIC' and 'BAD-ASS'. Do us all a favour and leave this board and never come back. We don't like your kind here. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>7716787
Holy shit you're an idiot. GET THE FUCK OFF /LIT/ YES I'M MAD.
>>
>>7716787
Are white makes gnostic archons?
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.