[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This felt like a sequel, or "companion piece" to The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 220px-PointOmega.jpg (25 KB, 220x341) Image search: [Google]
220px-PointOmega.jpg
25 KB, 220x341
This felt like a sequel, or "companion piece" to The Names...American intelligence agencies, American interference in the middle east, film and filmmakers playing a big role, murder, violence first conceived abstractly that then horrifyingly becomes real. And the style is very similar, too...they both have a really hypnotic rhythm going.

So...what's the point of Point Omega? It came out 30 years later, but I don't think it adds much to what The Names did. Strip out the technology and references to Iraq and it could've been written in the 80s. Am I missing something?
>>
I think Point Omega is about the desire to abstract war and plays a lot with an examination of time as a parallel, like the abstracted violence of 24 hour psycho and the long timeless days of the desert. which is not what I got from the names.

i loved both books though, so even if there's a little retreading of ground, I'm glad point omega was written
>>
>>7715568
Delillo can describe cinema so damn well.
>>
>>7717488
yes this. he should be an avant garde filmmaker in his final days.
>>
>>7717496
I think he prefers the Borgesian "why make a thing when you can describe it?"
>>
>>7716707
Some bits on time (and film) from The Names. Similar idea of places somehow having their own time or being outside time.

>He’d arrived late, making the customary remark about normal time and Greek time.

>Always the self finds a place for its fulfillments, even in the Cretan wild, outside time and light.

>Rodents, earthworms turn the soil. She senses the completeness of the trench. It is her size, it fits. She rarely looks over the rim. The trench is enough. A five-foot block of time abstracted from the system.

>It is one of those imprinted moments, part of him now, contained in island time.

>There is time and there is film time. It was a natural extension, the barest of transferals, to make the crossing, to leap into the frame. Film was implied in everything they did.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.